Chance me for osteopathic schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InimicusTempi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats:
majors: biology and psychology
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 2.9
MCAT: 31 (10 BS, 10 PS, 11 V)

I have two years of experience working a neurobiology lab, and my PI has agreed to write me a very strong letter of recommendation. I've been involved with a suicide prevention campus organization for two years, and now hold a leadership position. I co-taught a freshman seminar on the liberal arts my junior year. As far as clinical experience goes, I completed a CNA course, and got 40 hours of experience as a result of that training. I've applied to volunteer at a hospital this semester.

I'm going to apply to the following schools:

-Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (Midwestern U)
-Tuoro in New York
-Tuoro in California
-LECOM-Brandenton
-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona

Do I have any chance at all, applying this late in the cycle? I'm only applying to a handful of schools to minimize the financial damage if I don't get in the first time. I am graduating in December, and hope to get a job as a CNA or a research assistant. I also plan to take one bio course per semester after graduation to prepare me for med school and hopefully raise my science GPA.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not that late, but that sGPA will sink you at many schools. I see four on the list that will reject you outright.

STONGLY suggest that you either apply more broadly now, especially to the newest programs, or do a post-bac to re-take any F/D/C science coureswork, which will, naturally do wonders for your GPAs.

My stats:
majors: biology and psychology
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 2.9
MCAT: 31 (10 BS, 10 PS, 11 V)

I have two years of experience working a neurobiology lab, and my PI has agreed to write me a very strong letter of recommendation. I've been involved with a suicide prevention campus organization for two years, and now hold a leadership position. I co-taught a freshman seminar on the liberal arts my junior year. As far as clinical experience goes, I completed a CNA course, and got 40 hours of experience as a result of that training. I've applied to volunteer at a hospital this semester.

I'm going to apply to the following schools:

-Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (Midwestern U)
-Tuoro in New York
-Tuoro in California
-LECOM-Brandenton
-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona

Do I have any chance at all, applying this late in the cycle? I'm only applying to a handful of schools to minimize the financial damage if I don't get in the first time. I am graduating in December, and hope to get a job as a CNA or a research assistant. I also plan to take one bio course per semester after graduation to prepare me for med school and hopefully raise my science GPA.

Thanks in advance for any input!

It's not that late, but that sGPA will sink you at many schools. I see four on the list that will reject you outright.

STONGLY suggest that you either apply more broadly now, especially to the newest programs, or do a post-bac to re-take any F/D/C science coureswork, which will, naturally do wonders for your GPAs.
I heavily agree here. I think Touro-CA would be automatic disqualified just because the sGPA is below 3.0. I do think the OP stands a chance with schools that allow GPA <3.0 and if he makes note of his retakes which need to get him >3.0. I think OP should check Pomona too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions. Second semester sophomore year, I neglected to get my independent study credits for research on my transcript. This would have given me 2 more credits of As for my science GPA. I ran some calculations last night, and discovered that with those additional 2 credits, I would have exactly a 3.0 sGPA.

I intend to get those credits on my transcript before I graduate, but it is going to take some time. I will have to meet with the dean, and then it will take a few weeks for the credits to show up on my transcript. Would it be worth waiting a few weeks for that, or should I apply now?

I'm leaning towards sending in my applications for schools that don't have a 3.0 cutoff now, and then applying to the others after I get the independent study credits on my transcript.

I'm leaning towards sending in my applications for schools that don't have a 3.0 cutoff now, and then applying to the others after I get the independent study credits on my transcript.
This would be the course of action I'd take if I were in your situation.