Chance me: high mcat, average GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infomuncherz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the schools I should be looking at with these stats?
Top 20 undergrad, Asian
GPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.60
MCAT: 521

Clinical Volunteer: Children's hospital 100+ hours, medical interpreter at free clinic
Research: only 1 summer & semester (did not learn much)
EC: sports, neuroscience club (leadership position), culture clubs (leadership position), global brigades

Gap year: ED medical scribe

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are very competitive, but ECs are very cookie cutter. For starters, get off campus and out of your comfort zone, and be of service to people less fortunate than yourself.

I can't recommend the top schools as of right now. Start your list with your state schools, and the low tiers.

Top 20 undergrad, Asian

Clinical Volunteer: Children's hospital 100+ hours, medical interpreter at free clinic
EC: sports, neuroscience club (leadership position), culture clubs (leadership position), global brigades

Thanks for the suggestions! What do you mean by the low tiers?
I really like Boston and would be interested in probably BU or Tufts. What do you think are my chances for those school in that range?

I also have a upward GPA trend. ie. 3.7 and 4.0 after junior year, but did not do as well freshman and sophomore year.

Let me expand on my ECs:
Clinical: Children's hospital 100+ hours, medical interpreter at free clinic, sport physical therapy, for CP kids all 4 years of college, shadowed ped neurologist weekly for 1 year
EC: global brigades (two trips - went to honduras for 1 week volunteer), campus interview team (2 years), cultural clubs all 4 years (became president of umbrella organization of 16 groups in my last semester), neuroscience club shadowing director, sports club, TA bio lab class, (fashion) design minor

Gap year: part time scribe, part time clinical research

How important is research?
I also don't have state residency because I grew up abroad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Top 20 undergrad, Asian

I don't think you're competitive for the top schools because if GPA, race, and and lack of good EC's/little research.

I think applying mid tier would be good, with 1 or 2 reaches

Oh yay I'm getting better at this. I almost said the same thing as Goro:)

I can't recommend the top schools as of right now. Start your list with your state schools, and the low tiers.

Are there any specific schools that you would suggest? I am okay with low/med-tier med schools, I really just want to know where I should be looking at.
I would be interested in the East Coast or Chicago.

VCU
EVMS
Albany
NYMC
Wake
GWU
Gtown
U Miami
Loyola
The Philly Triplets
MCW
U Toledo
Netter

Are there any specific schools that you would suggest? I am okay with low/med-tier med schools, I really just want to know where I should be looking at.
I would be interested in the East Coast or Chicago.

I believe BU has some weird policy where they only look at your GPA over the last 32 credit hours or something, but I'm not certain. I think @ChrisMack390 is familiar with the policy. They'd fit your profile well if thats the case. I would hit other mid's like

Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Tulane (partial to low gpa/high MCAT, but you may not have enough of a service background for them)
Wake

Some select state schools.
USC Greenville (was friendly to me OOS)
Arizona (friend who goes there says they like high MCAT OOS)
USF (Select program, no IS/OOS Bias)
WVU
Indiana

I don't think BU only looks at the last 32 credits for all applicants, I think they do that as a more formalized version of honoring upward trends.