Chance me SDN gods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupid1001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Engineering
State: GA
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: PS=10, VR=11, BS=10, TOT = 31

EC:
Your usual clubs, about ~800hrs of non-clinical volunteering and ~400hrs of clinical, leadership experience, no hobbies though
Shadowing:
~ 250 hrs with 6 MD specialties. Working on getting a DO shadowing.
Research:
3+ years of research by the time of application with 4 presentations. 1 publication with another in the review process.

Should have 8 LOR's (4 going into a committee package).

Here is the kicker though: I was reported for an academic dishonesty to my university. It was over using solution manual to help with homework. I made a thread about this previously if you want a more detailed explanation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=973762&highlight=stupid1001

I am interested in both MD and DO schools. So, what do you guys think are my chances?

Thanks

EDIT:

Added my preliminary school list. Can you guys add or subtract any? I would like to get it down to ~25

Morehouse
Mercer
U of Missouri-Kansas City
Marshall U
West Virginia U S of M
U of SC
Rosalind Franklin
The Commonwealth
U of Louisville
U of S. Alabama
MC Georgia
George wahington
Drexel U C of M
Rush
Virginia Commonwealth
The U of Toledo
U of Central Florida
U of S. Florida
Florida Atlantic
Medical U SC
Georgetown
Tulane
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
M C of Wisconsin
Jefferson Medical College
Temple U
Eastern Virginia MS
U of Miami
U of Maryland
U of Kentucky
Florida International
Saint Louis U of M
Hofstra North Shore
Virginia Tech Carilion
U of Cincinnati
U of NC - Chapel Hill
Wake Forest S of M
Emory
U of SC - Greenville

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your chances at an MD and DO are great, if you got that IA taken care of.

Awesome ECs obviously. I think MD all the way. The fact that you are an engineer stands out from the masses of Bio majors as well. GPA could be higher but it's definitely competitive enough imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances very good for MD if you apply to a smart school list.
Chances extremely good for DO, especially if you can find one to shadow who will write you a LOR.

Awesome ECs obviously. I think MD all the way. The fact that you are an engineer stands out from the masses of Bio majors as well. GPA could be higher but it's definitely competitive enough imo.

Really? I feel like my EC are not that great. They seem average to me. I might have been on SDN too long. I just wish my cGPA was higher.

With a good school list of about 20-25 schools and excellent essays and ps you will get multiple interviews. If you interview well your chances are very good.

However, I would still apply DO as a back up.

With a good school list of about 20-25 schools and excellent essays and ps you will get multiple interviews. If you interview well your chances are very good.

However, I would still apply DO as a back up.

Thanks. Ya i am going to apply to DO schools also. Im not as familiar with DO schools as md schools. What would be some good schools in my range? Is there data published for DO schools like there is for MD?

I think you'll get interviews, but how you explain the IA will determine your fate.

Major: Engineering
State: GA
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: PS=10, VR=11, BS=10, TOT = 31

EC:
Your usual clubs, about ~800hrs of non-clinical volunteering and ~400hrs of clinical, leadership experience, no hobbies though
Shadowing:
~ 250 hrs with 6 MD specialties. Working on getting a DO shadowing.
Research:
3+ years of research by the time of application with 4 presentations. 1 publication with another in the review process.

Should have 8 LOR's (4 going into a committee package).

Here is the kicker though: I was reported for an academic dishonesty to my university. It was over using solution manual to help with homework. I made a thread about this previously if you want a more detailed explanation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=973762&highlight=stupid1001

I am interested in both MD and DO schools. So, what do you guys think are my chances?

Thanks

I just have to say that the title of this thread is AWESOME! I just hope it was written just as I read it... dripping with sarcasm :D

Listed up top, but its Georgia.
Last year Georgia had 1281 IS applicants. 408 were accepted IS, 141 OOS.

Emory's median MCAT of 35 makes it a real reach. MCG with 31 and Mercer with 28 medians are your best bet IS.

I didn't see anything in your EC's that would lead me to suspect you are a good match at Morehouse.

A strategic choice of your OOS options to augment your IS would increase your odds from good to very good.

Last year Georgia had 1281 IS applicants. 408 were accepted IS, 141 OOS.

Emory's median MCAT of 35 makes it a real reach. MCG with 31 and Mercer with 28 medians are your best bet IS.

I didn't see anything in your EC's that would lead me to suspect you are a good match at Morehouse.

A strategic choice of your OOS options to augment your IS would increase your odds from good to very good.

What are some schools in the west that would be good fit for me?

I think you'll get interviews, but how you explain the IA will determine your fate.

Thank You for your input. I see that you are located "somewhere west of st. Louis", do you know of any schools in the west that would be good fit for me? I am interested in MD and DO schools.

What are some schools in the west that would be good fit for me?
The only school in CA where you would have a good chance is Loma Linda and that's only if you are aligned with their religious/social mission and can subscribe to their abstinence code.

Frankly, OOS acceptances in Western states tend to be related to interstate agreements (with other western states) such as WWAMI.

There are relatively few private schools and those that we have are quite selective. This makes it challenging for the good applicant from elsewhere.

The only school in CA where you would have a good chance is Loma Linda and that's only if you are aligned with their religious/social mission and can subscribe to their abstinence code.

Frankly, OOS acceptances in Western states tend to be related to interstate agreements (with other western states) such as WWAMI.

There are relatively few private schools and those that we have are quite selective. This makes it challenging for the good applicant from elsewhere.

Thank you for the advise. I have added my preliminary school list up top. Would you care to take a look at it and give me some feedback?

Dude, you're golden. Engineering with that GPA, props man. Also your ECs are great, you should have no problem getting into good schools. Your experiences are solid across the board. The only thing that would hold you back from like top 10 schools is the MCAT, but a 31 is still solid. Getting in probably won't be an issue, its just about your preference on where you want to go, that's my opinion.

MD: Average chances. Worth applying. You will probably get into at least 1 school. Maybe a few.
DO: Good chances. You will almost certainly get into some schools.

Dude, you're golden. Engineering with that GPA, props man. Also your ECs are great, you should have no problem getting into good schools. Your experiences are solid across the board. The only thing that would hold you back from like top 10 schools is the MCAT, but a 31 is still solid. Getting in probably won't be an issue, its just about your preference on where you want to go, that's my opinion.

MD: Average chances. Worth applying. You will probably get into at least 1 school. Maybe a few.
DO: Good chances. You will almost certainly get into some schools.

LOL two very different responses. Anyone want to comment on the school list?