Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaMedDude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am new here.

Major: Biology
Minor: None
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 36

I applied late this cycle. Submitted most secondaries mid Sept- Early Oct. Worried about my timing, lack of ECs, and choice of schools. Money was a factor, I applied to as many schools as possible before I couldn't afford anymore. Wanted to apply to more.

ECs: Research for a year. Teachers Assistant for 3 semesters. Volunteered at a camp for disabled for a summer. Shadowed a family doc, ortho surgeon and ER for a total of about 60-70 hours. I tutor like 15 students each week, that's how I make my money. Hard to prove that to med schools though. I have 5 solid LOR. I am currently volunteering at a homeless shelter. That is not on my app but maybe I'll update or mention in interviews. I'm also a D1 athlete, hopefully they will be understanding of my lack of free time to build up my ECs.

School list:
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Loyola
OSU
Western Mich.
Tufts
Temple
Jefferson
MCW
Louisville
Indiana

I got an interview invite at Dartmouth and a phone interview invite for Western Michigan. Haven't heard back from any other schools though. Opinions?

I had interviews at Dartmouth, IU, OSU, and Western Michigan. I got rejected by Dartmouth post interview and got accepted into Western Michigan and IU. I was deferred at OSU but am feeling good about my chances there still. I withdrew my application from Western. I will go to IU in the fall if I don't get into OSU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why with those stats did you not look at Mayo, Harvard, et al?

Not condemning your choices, looking at reasoning :)

Did you apply to your state school(s)?

Your application is great, and an II from Dartmouth is a good sign. Based on when you were complete I think you'll just have to be patient and see if you snag some more in the upcoming months. At this point I think it is a bit late to add more schools, but you can try if their deadlines haven't passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm from Ohio. Got a secondary from Case but never completed it. I got like 4 reminders so I figured it was too late. Thinking about adding University of Chicago since their deadline isn't til Dec 1st and my friend submitted his a few weeks ago and just got an interview. But idk if that is worth the 100+ dollars from the amcas and secondary fee.

Why with those stats did you not look at Mayo, Harvard, et al?

Not condemning your choices, looking at reasoning :)
I thought about Harvard and figured I would at least have a small chance but chose Northwestern and Dartmouth to be my 2 top-tier schools. I didn't just want to apply to top-tier schools because I don't want to apply next year and couldn't afford to apply to 20+ schools. Especially because I would have to decline many interviews because of traveling fees.

Last edited:
Did you apply to your state school(s)?

Your application is great, and an II from Dartmouth is a good sign. Based on when you were complete I think you'll just have to be patient and see if you snag some more in the upcoming months. At this point I think it is a bit late to add more schools, but you can try if their deadlines haven't passed.
Yeah I'm from Ohio. Got a secondary from Case but never completed it. I got like 4 reminders so I figured it was too late. Thinking about adding University of Chicago since their deadline isn't til Dec 1st and my friend submitted his a few weeks ago and just got an interview. But idk if that is worth the 100+ dollars from the amcas and secondary fee.

I think at this point if you want to add schools it is probably better to add ones where your stats are higher than average so you stand out some more. According to MSAR Cincinnati has a primary deadline of Nov 15th, and is likely a good option since you're from Ohio.

Overall though, I think the name of the game is patience for you. I'd say you will get some more interviews in the upcoming months with your current list. Maybe you can update some schools of your new activities if you have radio silence in November.

You have great numbers and I'm sure you'll get some interviews.

I think at this point if you want to add schools it is probably better to add ones where your stats are higher than average so you stand out some more. According to MSAR Cincinnati has a primary deadline of Nov 15th, and is likely a good option since you're from Ohio.

Overall though, I think the name of the game is patience for you. I'd say you will get some more interviews in the upcoming months with your current list. Maybe you can update some schools of your new activities if you have radio silence in November.
Yeah, my fault. I actually applied to Cinci, forgot to put that one on there. Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it.

Honestly I think you've got nothing to worry about, man. Your numbers are outrageous and your ECs are excellent in my opinion. Definitely not too late to get interviews and acceptances so don't be overstressed at all. Just time to wait for some good news.

Honestly I think you've got nothing to worry about, man. Your numbers are outrageous and your ECs are excellent in my opinion. Definitely not too late to get interviews and acceptances so don't be overstressed at all. Just time to wait for some good news.
Thank man, I really appreciate that. Haha calming me down. I see your status says "accepted", congrats.

Not a problem, brother. The fact that I got accepted should comfort you as well: I have a 3.9 GPA but only a 32 MCAT and your ECs are very impressive. Best of luck.

No clinical volunteering?
Being an athlete means that you have sacrificed the long term for the short term, and your lack of IIs with such competitive numbers reflects this.

Hey, I am new here.

Major: Biology
Minor: None
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 36

I applied late this cycle. Submitted most secondaries mid Sept- Early Oct. Worried about my timing, lack of ECs, and choice of schools. Money was a factor, I applied to as many schools as possible before I couldn't afford anymore. Wanted to apply to more.

ECs: Research for a year. Teachers Assistant for 3 semesters. Volunteered at a camp for disabled for a summer. Shadowed a family doc, ortho surgeon and ER for a total of about 60-70 hours. I tutor like 15 students each week, that's how I make my money. Hard to prove that to med schools though. I have 5 solid LOR. I am currently volunteering at a homeless shelter. That is not on my app but maybe I'll update or mention in interviews. I'm also a D1 athlete, hopefully they will be understanding of my lack of free time to build up my ECs.

School list:
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Loyola
OSU
Cinci
Western Mich.
Tufts
Temple
Jefferson
MCW
Louisville

I got an interview invite at Dartmouth. Haven't heard back from any other schools though. Opinions?

Reactions: 1 user
No clinical volunteering?
Being an athlete means that you have sacrificed the long term for the short term, and your lack of IIs with such competitive numbers reflects this.
It has definitely made it hard to have free time but it has also been difficult to clinical volunteer. I've applied to the volunteers in medicine organization twice (back to back years) and have heard nothing. My advisor says that is my best bet. So you don't like my chances at receiving more interview invitations? I'm not opposed to a gap year where I can do more volunteering but I would rather not have a break from school. Is being a re-applicant reflected upon poorly by admission committees if I do indeed not get in anywhere?

With substantial clinical volunteering I tihnk you'd have a pretty kick-@ss application

Concur. We like to see that you have at least set foot in a hospital. After all, would you buy a new suit without trying it on? Buy a new car without test driving it? You need to show us that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years.

With substantial clinical volunteering I tihnk you'd have a pretty kick-@ss application

Concur. We like to see that you have at least set foot in a hospital. After all, would you buy a new suit without trying it on? Buy a new car without test driving it? You need to show us that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years.
If you have other clinical experience (ie clinic work experience) is clinical volunteering still required to prove you know what you're getting into?
PS I am dying to know what school you work at even though I know you'll never tell (even when you retire? :D )...it's a great mystery of life.

Update: I think it could be useful for people applying this upcoming cycle to know what happened with me. I received 4 interviews out of the 11 schools I applied to. I applied very late. Primary submitted 0n Sept. 9th and most secondaries were completed during Sept. and Oct.

I had interviews at Dartmouth, IU, OSU, and Western Michigan. I got rejected by Dartmouth post interview and got accepted into Western Michigan and IU. I was deferred at OSU but am feeling good about my chances there still. I withdrew my application from Western. I will go to IU in the fall if I don't get into OSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users