DO Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA (undergrad) - 3.1
sGPA (undergrad) - 3.0
SMP GPA (all science- graduate level)- 3.5
MCAT 28
NY resident.
Thoughts?
Chance for NYCOM or TouroNY? Or Rowan?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA (undergrad) - 3.1
sGPA (undergrad) - 3.0
SMP GPA (all science- graduate level)- 3.5
MCAT 28
NY resident.
Thoughts?
Chance for NYCOM or TouroNY? Or Rowan?
Where was your SMP? If that is a true SMP, a 3.5 is borderline unacceptable for a <3.0 applicant. Combine that with your 28 MCAT score, and I'd say your chances at MD are pretty much nil.

Any chance of low tier MD?

No. You can't have a well below average academic record AND a well below average MCAT unless you have a hook(ie URM).

Maybe take a stab at some of your state schools. Can't recommend anything else.

Anyone think I have a shot at UNECOM or PCOM?

Hypothetical question- had OP scored better on MCAT (apx 34) with combined with Tufts SMP, would this have given him a shot at low tier MDs? I only ask because I'm seeking to understand the reality of doing a true SMP and doing well in it if this would overcome problematic GPAs?

Hypothetical question- had OP scored better on MCAT (apx 34) with combined with Tufts SMP, would this have given him a shot at low tier MDs? I only ask because I'm seeking to understand the reality of doing a true SMP and doing well in it if this would overcome problematic GPAs?
OP got a 3.5 in his SMP. People have gotten into MD schools with a 3.5 (when coupled with a high MCAT) before. I'd wager you'd be more likely to end up at a DO school. A 3.5 is pushing it.

OP got a 3.5 in his SMP. People have gotten into MD schools with a 3.5 (when coupled with a high MCAT) before. I'd wager you'd be more likely to end up at a DO school. A 3.5 is pushing it.
I hear you on that...definitely should have upped the game there. But even with a high MCAT , as said, just throwing a 34/35 out there- it still would have put someone out of low tier MD range, you think?

I hear you on that...definitely should have upped the game there. But even with a high MCAT , as said, just throwing a 34/35 out there- it still would have put someone out of low tier MD range, you think?
I'd say with a 3.5 tufts GPA, a <3.0 uGPA, and a 35 MCAT score you would have a chance. Though this is far from the safety net that SMPs are theoretically supposed to provide. My problem with Tufts is that they are kind of hush hush about how many of their grads end up at MD schools. Too risky of a program, IMO. Still, it seems to have a decent reputation with AdComs.

Edit: A 3.5 in an SMP is an accomplishment OP, irregardless of where you end up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user