Chances/Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm9880

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is kinda different. I go to a top private school that is well respected in Texas, but I will not have a BS upon enrollment. However, I will have enough credit hours to graduate, and my school does this program where if you have enough credit hours to graduate and you complete a year of professional school, they will award you a BS in Health Sciences... So I would have my BS after a year of pharmacy school. Other possibly pertinent information that is on my extracurricular and honors sections of my application: I'm in the honors program at my university and I have received several honors from the university as well, I was awarded the American Chemical Society Student Leadership Award last year, I have been the treasurer for our Student Affiliate of the ACS for the past year and will remain in that position this year, I am the vice-chair of the Student Advisory Board for our College of Science and Engineering (will be the chair starting in December), I am the section leader for the ACS National Chemistry Week for the local metropolitan area, I am an Honors College mentor for incoming freshmen, I am in two leadership programs on campus, one of which has only a 12% acceptance rate, and I mentor incoming members of said leadership program.

I am applying to:

University of North Carolina
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of North Texas
Texas Tech
Belmont University

Overall GPA: 3.27
M/S GPA: 3.04
PCAT: 96

I have 2 years of pharmaceutical research under my belt and most likely will enter pharmacy school with 2-3 published papers. I am a CPhT and will most likely have 16 hours of shadowing in various specialty pharmacies by the time I apply. I have three solid to strong letters of recommendation from various professors, including the chemistry department chair. As far as volunteering goes, I have been volunteering with HIV/STI prevention groups in the LGBT community and with the local science museum to teach children about chemistry and physics. Finally, I have a strong personal statement that has been edited for content by several medical students and grammar by a PhD student in English.

Also, my low GPA is in part due to A LOT of loss in the last two years. I had a friend from my hometown commit suicide, a friend from college die in an accident in December, my uncle passed away, my grandfather passed away, and my mother was diagnosed with cancer and diabetes, so I had to make constant trips home. Should I mention this anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I would mention it briefly. Don't spend 90% of your PS on it

Last edited:
My situation is kinda different. I go to a top private school that is well respected in Texas, but I will not have a BS upon enrollment. However, I will have enough credit hours to graduate, and my school does this program where if you have enough credit hours to graduate and you complete a year of professional school, they will award you a BS in Health Sciences... So I would have my BS after a year of pharmacy school. Other possibly pertinent information that is on my extracurricular and honors sections of my application: I'm in the honors program at my university and I have received several honors from the university as well, I was awarded the American Chemical Society Student Leadership Award last year, I have been the treasurer for our Student Affiliate of the ACS for the past year and will remain in that position this year, I am the vice-chair of the Student Advisory Board for our College of Science and Engineering (will be the chair starting in December), I am the section leader for the ACS National Chemistry Week for the local metropolitan area, I am an Honors College mentor for incoming freshmen, I am in two leadership programs on campus, one of which has only a 12% acceptance rate, and I mentor incoming members of said leadership program.

I am applying to:

University of North Carolina
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of North Texas
Texas Tech
Belmont University

Overall GPA: 3.27
M/S GPA: 3.04
PCAT: 96

I have 2 years of pharmaceutical research under my belt and most likely will enter pharmacy school with 2-3 published papers. I am a CPhT and will most likely have 16 hours of shadowing in various specialty pharmacies by the time I apply. I have three solid to strong letters of recommendation from various professors, including the chemistry department chair. As far as volunteering goes, I have been volunteering with HIV/STI prevention groups in the LGBT community and with the local science museum to teach children about chemistry and physics. Finally, I have a strong personal statement that has been edited for content by several medical students and grammar by a PhD student in English.

Also, my low GPA is in part due to A LOT of loss in the last two years. I had a friend from my hometown commit suicide, a friend from college die in an accident in December, my uncle passed away, my grandfather passed away, and my mother was diagnosed with cancer and diabetes, so I had to make constant trips home. Should I mention this anywhere?

I would mention it briefly. Don't spend 90% of your PS on it

I agree with jboulos12 there. I think it is only distinguished to mention more if your academic performance had achieved and maintained excellence despite all that adversity.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Quick mention of it.

Highlight your strengths and your passion for pharmacy. It shouldn't be hard, you have amazing qualifications!