Pre-Pharmacy Advice & Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDPharmacy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been looking on this forum for a while and decided to post. I graduated in May with my undergraduate biology degree and now I'm going back for an extra year to a few extra pre-requisites for pharmacy school this fall and spring. I have a fairly high gpa (3.9+), but no PCAT as I plan on signing up soon for late October/early November. This summer I worked as a pharmacy intern and put in nearly 400 hours. Other than that, I don't really have any pharmacy experience. For ECs, my community service is around 300 hours right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research experience. During my junior year in a science elective course, I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and thus a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but it wasn't intentional and I learned from it. I am disappointed it happened and I talked to the registrar and the misconduct is not on my official transcript at all, but is in a confidential FERPA university recording database. My biggest concern is when I apply for pharmacy school, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I have never had any other problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into pharmacy school. My plan is to apply to my state school, a few area schools and most likely 3 year schools such as LECOM-Erie, Midwestern in Glendale, and Roseman in Henderson, NV. Also, I won't be applying to my state school until December, but when should I submit my Pharmcas since I'm not taking my PCAT until late October/early November? If anyone could provide any advice or my chances for any schools, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are great considering your GPA, internship, and volunteering. Just because you have not worked at a pharmacy and gotten paid, doesn't mean you have no experience. You Do and can talk about it in an interview or PS. Your volunteering demonstrates that you're a community person and have great social skills which is really the most important. Although research I great, it is just like a bonus that proves that your comfortable with working on rigorous material and that you demonstrate a desire to advance the sciences.

The academic dishonesty will only be a problem if you aren't given a chance to explain yourself. The PharmCAS application will have a section to tell them about it and allow you to explain what happened along with the consequences. If this doesn't make you comfortable (maybe think that a school might dismiss you by just seeing this), then I would ask the institutions your are applying too. Maybe even ask if it's something they think you should include (assuming there is no concrete evidence such as an automatic F on your transcript and no record available to them that proves this happened; however don't assume this without asking as if there is then you will be in trouble for not mentioning it and probably be black listed!!) Anyways, given your competitive application, i don't think they would dismiss you just by seeing an academic dishonesty penalty on your PharmCAS as you will explain yourself and if you land an interview, explain further.

So I’m pre-Pharmacy and I’m really struggling with organic chemistry. I really need a good understand of it because I know Pharmacy school is all about organic chemistry. I guess what I’m asking for is tips and trick on how to really grasp the concepts in this subject. I need to get at least a B in this course