Chances and what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to Podiatry, and i have done lots of research and found it the kind of career i want to pursue. I have a few questions on what i can do until i apply and may be tell me what my chances are. Let me tell you first what my academics are and what i plan to do in the future.

I'm a biology major (BS degree, and getting a chemistry minor) and so far my GPA is HORRIBLE at a 2.6 general GPA. Classes i've taken so far are: Bio 1 and 2, Chemistry 1, HIV/AIDS, Plant Biology, Molecular Genetics, Genetics, Microbiology, Histology, Physiology, Vaccines, pre-calculus...and other extra stuff that are not really science.

I still have to take: Ecology, Animal biology, and biology electives which i chose to take: Biochemistry, developmental Biology, and something else not sure yet. Chemistry 2, Orgo I and II, and physics I and II, calculus I, and statistics. All are 4 credits except for developmental biology is 3 credits, another bio elective would be 3 electives. Orgo I and II is 5 credits (class is 3, lab is 2).

So i was planning on taking Orgo I and II in the summer because i wanted to take the DAT during that time or fall of 2009. I chose DAT cuz i actually tried it and found very easy for me. I actually scored a 15 in biology, 17 in PAT section without studying. MCAT i failed it miserably (duh, it's not memorization that's why). I know only 3 schools take DAT, but i thought may be i can try to apply ealry to those schools. If it doesn't work then i'll re-apply to more school once i take physics and take the MCATs. Cuz i'll be finished with physics in spring of 2010, and i want to enter podiatry school in fall 2010. I really don't wanna delay my enterance that's why i wanna take DAT. I'm already late on graduating...supposed to have graduated in 2008 spring, but i'm not (and i'm killing myself on that..). I do plan to raise my GPA to hopefully a 2.8 by the end of this year, and 3.0 minimum by the time i graduate.

So questions are these:
1. Should i really take the DAT or should i take the MCATs? If i take the MCATs, can i take it after physics I so that i can still apply for Fall 2010?
2. let's say my GPA doesn't end up being 3.0. Should i re-take classes, or tkae more undergraduate science classes, or take non-degree graduate classes, or actually earn a masters degree or a postbac?

Oh i should i add that i have great exposure to the medical field.
Since i was 16 (i'm now 22) i worked in medical places, and here is what i've done:
1. Summer between junior year and senior year highschool AND summer after i graduated from higschool i worked for a month (each summer one month) in a family and pediatrics office.
2. From september 2005 to september 2008, i was worked for a pediatrician literally from day one with zero patients and raised the practice with her. I was manager and medical assistant ( i was treated as a medical student though, so i had really great exposure there). I quit this semester cuz i had to be full time in school, i needed a weekend job.
3. During working for her, i worked at an OBGYN for a month, and and internal medicine office for a month.
4. Now i work as a Histology Assistant in the hospital in Histology/Pathology department. I have ALOT of exposure here. I actually help gross some specimens with PA's here and one of my jobs is doing autopsy with pathologist.
5. I'm shadowing an orthodontist, and i asked the surgery department to shadow surgeons, cuz i wanna shadow podiatrists hopefully.

I have realized that i don't like a job that doesn't include surgery and blood...lol like dentistry is too sofisticated and clean for me...so far it's not interesting as much. And thos medical primary care found it too routine for me. I want excitement...and i love surgery. Medical surgeons don't seem to happy, but podiatry surgeons seem happy... and residency is like 3 years, so i'm happy with this field alot more. Therefore, i know for sure i want this. I watched surgeries on youtube.. and it's become an obsession lol...i'm a nerd i know.

So, bottom line. Do i have a chance? What else should i do? I have one year to year and half to make myself competitive. Should i take DAT and apply early cuz i have great exposure? Or should i take MCATs cuz its better and i'll get better GPA hopefully by then? what should i do?

I looked around for answers, but i haven't seen full answers to something like my case. So i should say sorry if it's a repeat, but i do appreciate your help in advance.

Much love to all.

p.s. Podiatry forum seems really friendly than medical forum.. love u all! =D lol (no offense... i'm not generalizing ok?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you need to take the MCAT---2.6 GPA isn't the greatest, so you're going to need to prove that you can handle the workload, which, might I add, is quite substantial. I think you should wait and take the MCAT after physics, when you feel prepared.

If your GPA doesn't end up at or above 3.0, you will need to do well on the MCAT to get into a decent school (which I would recommend anyway). If you can't pull out the MCAT score, you're looking at retaking some classes or maybe a post bac. Also, I think you need to shadow a podiatrist to make sure this really is for you. Best of luck.

The answer to your entire post is very simple. Take the MCAT and score well. Thats all. Your EC's seem good, and a good MCAT score will make up for all your grades. I had a low GPA and high MCAT and nobody asked me to explain my grades and I got accepted to DMU, Scholl and AzPod. Make sure you have physics before taking the test too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually scored a 15 in biology, 17 in PAT section without studying. MCAT i failed it miserably (duh, it's not memorization that's why). )

Oh yeah, if you are trying to figure out if you are a good candidate, reread this quote from you and actually think hard about what you wrote.

I think you need to take your studies more seriously and I would wretch in pain if any of the schools would pursue your application.

To be honest with you, things aren't looking too good for you at this point in terms of being a doctor working on patients.

My advice would be consider another much less competitive field.

I also think you are considering Podiatry because you are desperate to become a Dr and have realised that even most Caribbean Medical schools would not even consider you as an applicant.

You squandered away your opportunities in undergrad and the result will be many closed door. Too much fun and not enough book work does that to lots of folks.

What you need to realise today is that there are folks who want to succeed more than you do.

Whiskers was kind of harsh, but he makes a point. You really need to Ace all of your classes from here on out. If you don't start pulling straight A's you will have a hard time getting accepted. Not all hope is lost, you just really really really need to get good grades. Get an online GPA calculator and calculate your GPA + all the classes you have left and see if you can still pull off a 3.0 gpa average if you get straight A's. YOu have really good EC's and with a great mcat and a strong upward trend you may be okay. Don't let anyone decide what you are going to do for you. Just study HARD.

--> study tip. read ~10 pages of your notes. Then close your notes/book and write down EVERYTHING you remember. Don't look at your notes again unitl you have finished writing down everything you remember. Then go back and see what you missed. Repeat until you get everything memorized. Then move to the next 10 pages.
This is however memorization and not actually learning. You won't remember any of it in a month... but it will help with better grades. Good luck.

First of want to thank people that actually gave me advice on getting better. I really appreciate your insite.

To others that are trying to discourage me...it's not working. You may think i had "fun" during my undergrads, and really no that's not me. I did't party, drink or do anything similar to that. I was serious in school i was just not good at studying and i'm not a good test taker. That's why i had bad grades...not because i fooled around. So please don't underestimate my abilities. People that know me tell me, you know the info but you can't take tests. That's my problem area...so it's o fooling around, it's study habits and test taking. And about me trying desperately to be a "doctor" because i wanna be called that, i can get a PhD easily because i have those connections, therefore, i can be called doctor that way... but no that's not what i want...so don't come and give me that too. I want to be a podiatrist because i like the field in many ways...which i explained..if it's not clear to you, then it's not my fault. I'm tired of people trying to discourage applicants so they can have that extra space for themselves. Reality is if it's not meant for you it won't be no matter how many people you discourage. Just like i don't know if it's meant for me...i guess trying my best until i get the point from myself will let me know...that's the only way i will leave my spot to you, your words are bouncing off of me, it's not doing anything. So to all applicants that are also applying, follow your dreams even if you have to try 3,4,5 etc. times. If it's for you, then you will get it somehow!!! After all, what's a real competition if you get it all easy by kicking everyone out of the application pool.

Anyways....i will listen to what everyone is saying and that's to take the MCATs, of course, after i finish physics. I can take it early, possibly in May the latest so i can still apply for Fall 2010. And i will aim for a minimum 30 on it. Of course in the meantime, i will raise my GPA to 3.2 is my aim...you know, aim high and hopefully end up at least 3.0 haha. If i don't get accepted, i will apply ahead of time for a masters program to enhance my application for re-application if that would be the case.

Thank you, ... much love.

:D

First of want to thank people that actually gave me advice on getting better. I really appreciate your insite.

To others that are trying to discourage me...it's not working. You may think i had "fun" during my undergrads, and really no that's not me. I did't party, drink or do anything similar to that. I was serious in school i was just not good at studying and i'm not a good test taker. That's why i had bad grades...not because i fooled around. So please don't underestimate my abilities. People that know me tell me, you know the info but you can't take tests. That's my problem area...so it's o fooling around, it's study habits and test taking. And about me trying desperately to be a "doctor" because i wanna be called that, i can get a PhD easily because i have those connections, therefore, i can be called doctor that way... but no that's not what i want...so don't come and give me that too. I want to be a podiatrist because i like the field in many ways...which i explained..if it's not clear to you, then it's not my fault. I'm tired of people trying to discourage applicants so they can have that extra space for themselves. Reality is if it's not meant for you it won't be no matter how many people you discourage. Just like i don't know if it's meant for me...i guess trying my best until i get the point from myself will let me know...that's the only way i will leave my spot to you, your words are bouncing off of me, it's not doing anything. So to all applicants that are also applying, follow your dreams even if you have to try 3,4,5 etc. times. If it's for you, then you will get it somehow!!! After all, what's a real competition if you get it all easy by kicking everyone out of the application pool.

Anyways....i will listen to what everyone is saying and that's to take the MCATs, of course, after i finish physics. I can take it early, possibly in May the latest so i can still apply for Fall 2010. And i will aim for a minimum 30 on it. Of course in the meantime, i will raise my GPA to 3.2 is my aim...you know, aim high and hopefully end up at least 3.0 haha. If i don't get accepted, i will apply ahead of time for a masters program to enhance my application for re-application if that would be the case.

Thank you, ... much love.

I respect you for having such motivation and will to not give up, something that a lot of people are lacking nowadays. But, remember that you yourself claimed to be a poor test taker. what do you think medical school is all about? Most of it is studying and taking tests to pass classes and then taking even more tests to pass the boards. I'm not saying that good test takers make good doctors, but to even BE a doctor, you have to take tests...

This is by no means to discourage you in any way. You seem to have a fervent passion to succeed so more power to you!

And I would not prance around telling people that you can easily get a PhD because of connections. Doctorate work is pretty darn hard...

I was serious in school i was just not good at studying and i'm not a good test taker. That's why i had bad grades...not because i fooled around. So please don't underestimate my abilities.

This is a very concerning statement to me. You do realize that the first two years of school, all you do is study and take tests. You also have three board exams that need to be passed in order to obtain residency and practice: NBPME parts I (didactic), II (medical), and III (surgical).

If you are not a good test taker, things could be pretty difficult. I noticed that you work in the histology lab at Inova, Fairfax. There is a very good residency program there with very smart residents, many of which I actually know. I would seek them out and "pick their brains" on the subject.