This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chef_Curry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, today i need your constructive feedback about my application, its my first post on SDN. So here is my story:

College: North Carolina State University ( Major: Biochemistry )
sGPA : 3.4-3.55
cGPA: 3.3-3.45

MCAT :
Diagnostic 500
TPR PT #1 504
TPR PT #2 508
TPR PT # 3 505
AAMC PT # 1 507

Actual MCAT taking Jan. 22, 2017 ( Hoping to get between 508-510, since my practice scores are just a tad below)

Here is my storie guys. After graduating from high school i went to local CC. Did the 2 year Associates in Science then transfered to NCSU. My gpa took for worse when i transfered. Had ok first semester then after had horrible semesters. Was put on academic suspension end of first year. Came back after taking break and had 3 F spring semester was put on academic suspension again and currently i am taking course at CC. I have been plagued with a sciatica never pinching since high school. My entire mid to low back has very bad immflamuation and there are days to week where getting out of bed is a miracle. I have heavy dose of retakes ( around 20 classes worth of retakes ) due to my health and especially last spring semester where i applied for medical leave and was denied hence added additional 4 F to my transcripts. My retakes have been Gen Chem (4 times), Gen Chem 2 ( 6 times ), Bio 1 ( 2 times ), Microbiology ( 4 times ), A&P 1 ( 2 times ), Calc 1 and Calc 2 ( 4 times each ), Phyiscs 1 ( 2 times ). My gpa trend is getting higher and i had 3 A's in upper level of biochem on first attempts.

For EC:
100 shadowing ( DO and MD ) ( MD doctor is clinical professor at UNC medical school. can get excellent LOR )
Research/Intern Nuerofeedback Institute ( > 100 overs )
Volunteer at Outpatient Therapy for local hospital ( >100 hours )
Currently looking for research opportunity and will obtain it for summer
Business Development / Analyst at JAM Hospitality Group ( Over 3 years )

Can you guy please let me know how are my chances looking when i apply next years for 2018 cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are your GPAs including all of your retakes? AMCAS (MD)includes each and every course and letter grade you get even if your school doesn't . So all of those retakes are included in your GPA calculations. DO just uses the highest in their calculations.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of retakes, but if you explain the situation and pair it with a solid MCAT I think you should be competitive for DO schools. How many more semesters do you have left? A strong upward trend to finish would help.

@candbgirl thanks for reply, the gpa is only including the highest grade , so using amcomas style, my actualy gpa is horrible without the grade replacement. I am only applying to DO schools, since MD is not a option for me anymore.

Get a 505+ and you will get multiple DO interviews. Word of caution: your MCAT date is not for another 8 months, be careful using up your practice tests this early. You need to also be wary of burnout, pace yourself (a couple hours a day only) and then crank it up about a month before your test date (like 10+ hours a day)

Also, before you begin to apply to schools, make sure that you figure out a way to not let your medical condition get in the way of succeeding in classes. Based on the number of times you've had to retake multiple classes, I get worried that it's not under control yet. Med school is expensive and very tough, make sure that you can get through, successfully. You don't want to be in a position where you can't finish and have tons of debt.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of retakes, but if you explain the situation and pair it with a solid MCAT I think you should be competitive for DO schools. How many more semesters do you have left? A strong upward trend to finish would help.
@doctorleospaceman I am currently taking orgo 1 and orgo 2 and bio 1 at local cc since NCSU has not accepted me back but when I go back I have about 25 hours of upper level of biochem remaining. I am on track hopefully to do well in them to show an upward trend. I am just worried about the amount of retakes I have and I am don't have any stellar extracurriculars.

Also, before you begin to apply to schools, make sure that you figure out a way to not let your medical condition get in the way of succeeding in classes. Based on the number of times you've had to retake multiple classes, I get worried that it's not under control yet. Med school is expensive and very tough, make sure that you can get through, successfully. You don't want to be in a position where you can't finish and have tons of debt.
@JoannePrada yea of course I always been very consistent with my education, mixed with moving to a big school and the body problem it send me into a almost dark place/mood/mentality all the times which led me not to take care about anything thus 2-3 years of re takes and F and D. I do feel extremely stupid to ruin my college career like this especially failing basic pre reqs over and over again. mistakes were made and I can't sit here and cry you know, so I always had a positive attitude. My app does suck but I been a fighter and this is something as important as life itself to me. Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

@doctorleospaceman I am currently taking orgo 1 and orgo 2 and bio 1 at local cc since NCSU has not accepted me back but when I go back I have about 25 hours of upper level of biochem remaining. I am on track hopefully to do well in them to show an upward trend. I am just worried about the amount of retakes I have and I am don't have any stellar extracurriculars.
So you have a good year left of credits. Throw in some volunteering and other ECs during this year and I think you'd be in the best position you can be come applying.

Last edited:
Do we have any other experienced advice / suggestions as to about how should i proceed and what i should do to make my app better ? EC's , research, volunteer, classes etc

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to tell you without an actual MCAT. My actual MCAT was 10 pos lower than my diagnostics, but I've also heard of people going up on it. Depends. A lot rides on the MCAT because considering you get a 526, you could apply pretty much anywhere.

It's hard to tell you without an actual MCAT. My actual MCAT was 10 pos lower than my diagnostics, but I've also heard of people going up on it. Depends. A lot rides on the MCAT because considering you get a 526, you could apply pretty much anywhere.
Getting 526 is not realistic I'm shooting for 510.

Dude the advice hasn't changed, no one can help you further until you have your MCAT score. Come back then

Reactions: 4 users
Good evening! Sorry, I just saw your message :) I agree with my fellow SDNers' advice. Try to do well on your classes and throw in some volunteering experience and I'm sure you will have a shot if you do well on your MCAT. I'd be surprised if they didn't give you a chance if medical problems were the cause. With that said, I would still be prepared to answer questions about whether your medical problems will prevent you from performing in medical school. It is one thing to get in, but once you're in, you have to make sure you graduate so you don't end up with a crazy amount of loans and no degree :/

17 retakes? WHAT? No Allopathic school will touch you. No DO either. DO does grade replacement, but they are not going to ignore 4 F's and D's in a course and just count your latest B.

17 retakes? WHAT? No Allopathic school will touch you. No DO either. DO does grade replacement, but they are not going to ignore 4 F's and D's in a course and just count your latest B.
Did you read where I have A 's in genetics, principles of biochem, biochemistry of gene expression and proteins and molecular mechanisms on first time at NCSU.

I'll be honest with you. I won't be able to tell without the MCAT score.
Grade replacement is a blessing for many folks here applying to DO school (I personally don't have any grade replacements because I didn't know about it when I already hit submitted) .

Your best bet will be DO school because MD have no grade replacement for sure.

With your GPA and history of IA (which maybe a red flag according to Goro), I believe if you can prove to the school that you are sincerely wanting to follow the profession (depending on if they give yoh an interview), you have chances.

Otherwise, right now please focus on studying for MCAT and get it above 504+ to prove to adcoms that you can handle med schools. You will get some interviews With that MCAT. The rest is up to you on how well you explain the academic suspension (adcom is very harsh sometimes, and medical problems are indeed a reason, but in their technical standards, they believe you should have the full ability as regular students to do well in medical schools)

I wish you good luck.

This has to be the worst troll or delusional OP post ever. To think that you can have 20+ retakes and still be a good candidate to manage others' health is just silly.

This has to be the worst troll or delusional OP post ever. To think that you can have 20+ retakes and still be a good candidate to manage others' health is just silly.

I skimmed this thread so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding but what's wrong with the number of retakes? People redo entire UG degrees so as long as OP has aced the course the second time around and does well on the MCAT there will be plenty of DO schools that will be interested.

I skimmed this thread so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding but what's wrong with the number of retakes? People redo entire UG degrees so as long as OP has aced the course the second time around and does well on the MCAT there will be plenty of DO schools that will be interested.
Hey star, the problem is that I have multiple retakes in the same pre reqs courses. I had to take gen chem 1,2 and micro 4 to 5 times each course
before I had A. Other upper course like genetics, principles of biochem i received A on first tries.

I don't know but AACOMAS has grade replacement for a reason yeah?

And I believe grades and courses does not teach you how to take care of people.

Hey star, the problem is that I have multiple retakes in the same pre reqs courses. I had to take gen chem 1,2 and micro 4 to 5 times each course
before I had A. Other upper course like genetics, principles of biochem i received A on first tries.

Ah, I guess it's not ideal but DO grade replacement does take the most recent grade into their grade calculations. So I think if you continue to maintain an upward trend for this next year you'll still be okay for plenty of schools. I'd check with @Goro

Naww entirely possible. I had 20+ retakes, 15+ withdrawals, and got into multiple DO schools, got one of the highest DO board scores in the country and matched into EM/IM/CC.

Reactions: 1 users
Naww entirely possible. I had 20+ retakes, 15+ withdrawals, and got into multiple DO schools, got one of the highest DO board scores in the country and matched into EM/IM/CC.
What year did you apply ? It seems it is getting more and more competitive each year, though i am sure people with my similar situation do get the admission, but i am sure they make it up with something else ( played sports, EC , etc)

So let me get this straight you already know how to do all of these things and save people so why are you going to medical school ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "already know how to do all these things and save people". Forgive me, but your grammar sucks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "already know how to do all these things and save people". Forgive me, but your grammar sucks.
Not it doesn't, just stating what you already told us. Since we are all peasants and you are the next great leader to who will save the planet.

Thanks for confirming my accusation in this last sentence, I appreciate it. I don't know a whole lot more about medicine than anyone on here, and didn't say that I did. All I know is some schools will have a problem with you retaking a class six times, regardless of your latest grade.

Hello everyone, today i need your constructive feedback about my application, its my first post on SDN. So here is my story:

MCAT :
Diagnostic 500
TPR PT #1 504
TPR PT #2 508
TPR PT # 3 505
AAMC PT # 1 507

Actual MCAT taking Jan. 22, 2017 ( Hoping to get between 508-510, since my practice scores are just a tad below)

Here is my storie guys. After graduating from high school i went to local CC. Did the 2 year Associates in Science then transfered to NCSU. My gpa took for worse when i transfered. Had ok first semester then after had horrible semesters. Was put on academic suspension end of first year. Came back after taking break and had 3 F spring semester was put on academic suspension again and currently i am taking course at CC. I have been plagued with a sciatica never pinching since high school. My entire mid to low back has very bad immflamuation and there are days to week where getting out of bed is a miracle. I have heavy dose of retakes ( around 20 classes worth of retakes ) due to my health and especially last spring semester where i applied for medical leave and was denied hence added additional 4 F to my transcripts. My retakes have been Gen Chem (4 times), Gen Chem 2 ( 6 times ), Bio 1 ( 2 times ), Microbiology ( 4 times ), A&P 1 ( 2 times ), Calc 1 and Calc 2 ( 4 times each ), Phyiscs 1 ( 2 times ). My gpa trend is getting higher and i had 3 A's in upper level of biochem on first attempts.

For EC:
100 shadowing ( DO and MD ) ( MD doctor is clinical professor at UNC medical school. can get excellent LOR )

Can you guy please let me know how are my chances looking when i apply next years for 2018 cycle.
You've already scored well on practice tests. Why wait until January to take the MCAT? Take it in September.

You've already scored well on practice tests. Why wait until January to take the MCAT? Take it in September.
Since i am not applying till next cycle i figured i could use this extra time to get my content review done in more detail and be very good on the fundamentals. I have heard that you will never be truly ready and just need to take it but i am so nervous because what if i dont do so well and etc you know. Need a pretty decent score to balance my app out a bit and something to show that i can handle the training.

MCAT :
Diagnostic 500
TPR PT #1 504
TPR PT #2 508
TPR PT # 3 505
AAMC PT # 1 507

For EC:

Nope, I can't see any school MD or DO touching you with 20+ retakes and 4 Fs even with your circumstances. Especially with the majority of the retakes being on the pre-requisites. It sucks, and I'm Sorry. Maybe you will have better luck in other professions.

Even if you do get in, how do you expect to make it through residency and your practice if "some days you are unable to get out of bed?"

EDIT: here is something to think about. If you go into a medical field you will be on your feet for 6-8+ hours per day. Could you do that with your back condition? I don't want to be negative, but given your circumstances it might be better to look into research, academia, or industry over medical professions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users