Chances at Top 50? Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edsurvivor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I graduated from a top 15 undergrad last spring and am now working on 1yr master's at the same school. I will apply in the 2015 cycle.
I am an Asian holding a green card. I personally don't care that much about names or rankings, but the reason why I stated Top 50 is because my dad's company would cover 75% of the tuition only if I get into one of top 50 schools.

GPA: cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.56, gGPA 3.65
MCAT: 36
Research: 3 years research at 2 labs, no publications
Volunteer: none
Clinical Experience: 10 hrs of shadowing

Until I apply in the summer of 2014, I am planning on participating in a clinical research(aiming for a publication or two) and doing volunteer works at a local hospital 5 hrs a week.

What else would you suggest that I do between now and then? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I graduated from a top 15 undergrad last spring and am now working on 1yr master's at the same school. I will apply in the 2015 cycle.
I am an Asian holding a green card. I personally don't care that much about names or rankings, but the reason why I stated Top 50 is because my dad's company would cover 75% of the tuition only if I get into one of top 50 schools.

Until I apply in the summer of 2014, I am planning on participating in a clinical research(aiming for a publication or two) and doing volunteer works at a local hospital 5 hrs a week.

What else would you suggest that I do between now and then? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

what kind of company is that?

your grades and research look excellent, but "no volunteering" and only "10 hrs of shadowing" may be problematic at even the "low tier" schools, let alone top 50.

i would work on your clinical volunteering + community service and make those bases strong before application. fortunately, you still have some time. now get busy!

Hello everyone,

i would work on your clinical volunteering + community service
Besides gaining experience interacting with sick people, and participating in some weekly hands-on assistance to those in need for a cause you care about, Leadership and Teaching are other ECs that benefit one's application. Besides that, keep adding shadowing hours.