Chances? cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.55, MCAT: 36

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psupremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am starting my senior year at Penn State and am planning on taking a gap year before med school. I just got my MCAT scores back :), and I am looking for some advice on narrowing down my list to apply next summer.

My info:
I am a sociology major (Spanish, Bio, and international studies minors).
I predict my final cumulative gpa will be about a 3.75
sGPA: currently at about a 3.4 :(, by graduation I hope to have it up to a 3.55
MCAT: 36: (12b,11p,13v)

Clinical experience:
Volunteering at a hospital ~2 summers (150 hours total)
Shadowing: ~100 hours total in various fields (some done abroad)
Volunteering at a clinic while abroad in Ecuador (50+ hours)

Research:
-Summer research program at a respected hospital (no publication, but a poster presentation)
-An honors thesis in medical sociology that is based of research I conducted while abroad.

Other:
-I have been involved in a philanthropy that raised=s money for pediatric cancer research ( 4 years--leadership role as a committee captain this year)
-I am a reporter for our school newspaper (3 years)
-I am a member of the pre-health profession honor society (might have a leadership role)
-Mentor for freshman orientation
-Member of Honors College Student Council (leadership role); also served as tour guide
-member of a special living option that
-While abroad I also taught English to children (total 50 hours)
-Alt. spring break trip to teach nutrition, hygiene, etc. to children in the Dominican Republic

Letters of Rec: non science from my thesis supervisor should be very strong, all of my science recs are from honors classes that I did fairly well in, so those should be strong as well.

Overall I feel pretty good about my application, but I am very worried about my science gpa. I definitely have an upward trend (I got a C+ in gen chem 2, B in orgo, and then an A in orgo 2 but that was after I late dropped it once). I am hoping that my high MCAT scores will show that I have mastered the material, but I am worried it will look like I was just being lazy when I got those grades. (I don't really have any concrete explanation for the poor grades other than being overwhelmed by my course load...I could probably explain that well in an interview, I am just worried about getting to that point).

I guess my main question is: Is my sGPA bad enough to bring down the rest of my application? Would it be worth it to do some kind of post-bacc to bring up that part of my app? I was hoping to do some more volunteering abroad in my gap year, but I am open to suggestions on that as well).

I was thinking of schools like Penn State, Jefferson, Temple, BU, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say your chances are excellent at any medium tier school. Definitely apply to ALL schools in PA!

Hello everyone!

I am starting my senior year at Penn State and am planning on taking a gap year before med school. I just got my MCAT scores back :), and I am looking for some advice on narrowing down my list to apply next summer.

My info:
I am a sociology major (Spanish, Bio, and international studies minors).
I predict my final cumulative gpa will be about a 3.75
sGPA: currently at about a 3.4 :(, by graduation I hope to have it up to a 3.55
MCAT: 36: (12b,11p,13v)

Clinical experience:
Volunteering at a hospital ~2 summers (150 hours total)
Shadowing: ~100 hours total in various fields (some done abroad)
Volunteering at a clinic while abroad in Ecuador (50+ hours)

Research:
-Summer research program at a respected hospital (no publication, but a poster presentation)
-An honors thesis in medical sociology that is based of research I conducted while abroad.

Other:
-I have been involved in a philanthropy that raised=s money for pediatric cancer research ( 4 years--leadership role as a committee captain this year)
-I am a reporter for our school newspaper (3 years)
-I am a member of the pre-health profession honor society (might have a leadership role)
-Mentor for freshman orientation
-Member of Honors College Student Council (leadership role); also served as tour guide
-member of a special living option that
-While abroad I also taught English to children (total 50 hours)
-Alt. spring break trip to teach nutrition, hygiene, etc. to children in the Dominican Republic

Letters of Rec: non science from my thesis supervisor should be very strong, all of my science recs are from honors classes that I did fairly well in, so those should be strong as well.

Overall I feel pretty good about my application, but I am very worried about my science gpa. I definitely have an upward trend (I got a C+ in gen chem 2, B in orgo, and then an A in orgo 2 but that was after I late dropped it once). I am hoping that my high MCAT scores will show that I have mastered the material, but I am worried it will look like I was just being lazy when I got those grades. (I don't really have any concrete explanation for the poor grades other than being overwhelmed by my course load...I could probably explain that well in an interview, I am just worried about getting to that point).

I guess my main question is: Is my sGPA bad enough to bring down the rest of my application? Would it be worth it to do some kind of post-bacc to bring up that part of my app? I was hoping to do some more volunteering abroad in my gap year, but I am open to suggestions on that as well).

I was thinking of schools like Penn State, Jefferson, Temple, BU, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

So you don't think the low science GPA is enough to bring down the rest of my app?