Chances for MD and Other Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dehydrated

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDN users. Moderate-term lurker, first-time poster.

I am in the process of prepping for my application in Spring 2016.
I graduated about a year and a half ago with a BS in Chemistry. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and a sGPA of 3.3.
My transcript has 3 C's and an F (Organic Chemistry II, Physical Chemistry II, and Biochemistry I). I think that I made up for my O.Chem II grade later, to some extent, when I got an A in Advanced / Medicinal Organic Chemistry in my senior year. Everything else is A's and B's, with the majority of credits being A's.
Chemistry was a bit hard for me, compared to things like calculus and physics, but that is part of the reason that I chose the degree. I wanted a challenge.

I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I am avidly studying for it. I don't know what to expect score-wise, but I do tend to be a good (standardized) test taker.

Assuming that my MCAT scores are acceptable (I'm aiming for a score comparable to a 35-38 on the old test), would I have a decent chance of getting into an MD school, or would a DO school be my only option?

If extracurricular activities matter, I didn't work a whole lot during school, but here are some things that I did do during and just out of college:
  • I did a junior volunteer program at a local hospital during my freshman year (this did not include shadowing though)
  • TA'd chemistry labs for a year
  • Privately tutored calculus and chemistry
  • Was an undergraduate research assistant for 2 years (though we didn't really publish a lot in that time)
  • I played bass for multiple local churches and even toured with a Christian band for the duration of my time in college (as well as before and after college)
  • Practiced martial arts while in college (is that something I should bother to point out?)
  • I am a logo designer and illustrator by hobby and have worked in that capacity professionally
  • I've also done consulting IT work (self-employed)
  • And if work experience matters, I worked as both an analytical chemist and as an IT manager (at the same time) at a lab near my hometown for a year

Do you guys think that any of those things would look good on a med school application, and perhaps make up for my GPA? Are there any items that I should not include?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The SMP GPA should be much higher for MD. I don't think that your chances will be very good at MD schools, but invest in MSAR Online and target schools (and start with your state schools) whose median stats are closest to your own. Pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages.

Apply broadly to DO schools and you'll be fine .

SMP GPA lower than Undergrad looks bad. Would have been better if you just left it at 3.5 :( Chances are slim for MD schools because of the SMP

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses.
I will be sure to target schools with median stats like mine, and I will open my application to more DO schools (I previously wasn't considering very many).

Do you guys think that it would be a good idea for me to take more science courses as a postbacc to try to increase my sGPA?

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses.

Do you guys think that it would be a good idea for me to take more science courses as a postbacc to try to increase my SMP GPA?

Do you mean sGPA instead of " SMP GPA".
Were you enrolled in a "Special Master’s Program"?

Yes, sorry. I used the incorrect term. I meant sGPA.

Last edited:
I still think you meant sGPA.

sGPA = science GPA
SMP GPA = GPA in a Special Masters Program (post-bac) intended to boost GPA/complete pre-reqs

If you indeed did do a post-bac/SMP, and your GPA after graduation is lower, then like @LuluLovesMe said, you actually hurt your chances.
If you haven't, then yes, you should take more science classes to boost your sGPA to increase your chances.
Yes, sorry. I used the incorrect term. I meant SMP GPA.

Gah you're right BluMist.
Apparently, I'm ******ed when it comes to the shorthand.

I did not do a special masters program. I have only done undergraduate coursework. So sGPA (science GPA) is correct.
I will modify the previous post to reflect this.

Apologies for the confusion. And thank you for taking the time to correct me.

Gah you're right BluMist.
Apparently, I'm ******ed when it comes to the shorthand.

I did not do a special masters program. I have only done undergraduate coursework. So sGPA (science GPA) is correct.
I will modify the previous post to reflect this.

Apologies for the confusion. And thank you for taking the time to correct me.

The sGPA is low but if you have a solid upward trend and are able to hit say 511+ on the MCAT you might have a shot at getting a school to take a chance on you with a broad list of lower tiers.