DO chances getting in D.O school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indpa7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just got by mcat score back, and I'm devastated. I got a 24 (6/8/10), and I'm wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I can't wait next application cycle due to many personal reasons (financial, etc), so my only shot is applying D.O or Caribbean this cycle. The following are my stats:

NY Resident/Asian descent
MCAT: First Mcat Score: (6/8/6) for a total of 20
Second (Recent) Mcat Score (6/8/10) for a total of 24
cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.2

Pretty good ECs (clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, M.D doctor shadowing)
Good LORs

List of D.O schools applied to
A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO

A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ

Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL

Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL

NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY

Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA

Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJ

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

Please offer any sort of recommendation and advice regarding my chances. Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I've just got by mcat score back, and I'm devastated. I got a 24 (6/8/10), and I'm wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I can't wait next application cycle due to many personal reasons (financial, etc), so my only shot is applying D.O or Caribbean this cycle. The following are my stats:

NY Resident/Asian descent
MCAT: First Mcat Score: (6/8/6) for a total of 20
Second (Recent) Mcat Score (6/8/10) for a total of 24
cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.2

Pretty good ECs (clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, M.D doctor shadowing)
Good LORs

List of D.O schools applied to
A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO

A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ

Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL

Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL

NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY

Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA

Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJ

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

Please offer any sort of recommendation and advice regarding my chances. Thank you so much in advance.

I suggest removing the touro schools and adding liberty and marian. also some of those schools require a DO letter. Please do your due diligence and check out the school admission websites and find out which ones. I think you will receive a few II if you apply broadly, especially from the new low ranked DO schools.

also don't apply to midwestern az, they don't give interviews to anyone with a mcat score below 29

Members don't see this ad :)
don't apply to ohio university or rowan, they mainly pick instate

You could add Marian, William Carey and the 3 Edward Via schools. Your MCAT would be in the range for an interview at these schools. Also LECOM may be worth applying to. You have a good GPA which compensates for your low MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
You could add Marian, William Carey and the 3 Edward Via schools. Your MCAT would be in the range for an interview at these schools. Also LECOM may be worth applying to. You have a good GPA which compensates for your low MCAT.
I suggest removing the touro schools and adding liberty and marian. also some of those schools require a DO letter. Please do your due diligence and check out the school admission websites and find out which ones. I think you will receive a few II if you apply broadly, especially from the new low ranked DO schools.

Thanks a lot SkipJunior and Faha. I was also wondering if i could retake the mcat, perhaps on the november 7th date. I feel I can still improve my mcat score. Would the schools still accept that score that late?I already have my app verified and i already have received some secondaries btw.

Thanks a lot SkipJunior and Faha. I was also wondering if i could retake the mcat, perhaps on the november 7th date. I feel I can still improve my mcat score. Would the schools still accept that score that late?I already have my app verified and i already have received some secondaries btw.

I remember Goro (DO admissions committee member) mentioning that even complete applications submitted in December can be reviewed for interview invites since the DO cycle is longer than the MD cycle. So if you feel you really can improve it, I say go ahead. However make sure that you have submitted all your secondaries by the first week of december. That way, when your mcat scores are released, your application is immediately complete.

How do you have a 3.88 in science and 3.2 Cum? That's a huge disparity.