My Chances Of Getting Into MD Or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeelBansal12

Reaction score
Going to Rewrite post. Will rewrite and re upload.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stats are fine for DO, but weak for MD.

Getting into medical school is 100% on you.

Fill out a WAMC template and we can advise better.

No Adcom member is going to have any familiarity with your Business degree program.

Reactions: 1 user
You should post one thread, not two. I think the mods will take care of that.

Plus, you should have posted this in the WAMC forum, using their template.

Keep in mind I got a business degree in a extremely tough program and a 3.43 in that program is better than most.

Extremely tough will help you only minimally, if at all, unfortunately.

A breakdown of your online and in-person volunteer hours would be helpful

If you don't have MSAR, you should invest the small amount it costs. This will tell you what the median (and 10/25/75/90 percentile) GPA + MCAT scores for each medical school. You'll have to investigate.

You can use the LizzyM calculator to figure out what your overall chances might be. GPA might be a tad low for many schools, as is the MCAT, but you're definitely ok for DO.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a business major during undergrad- I don't think the difficulty of that major or program will have a positive or negative impact on your application: aka the rigor of your major will not be grasped and all that adcoms will see and compare is your gpa. That being said, that major gives you a lot of room to leverage unique experiences and perspectives which I think are very valuable. I'm sure that applies to most non-traditional majors but business in particular gives you some deep insight into how the healthcare system functions from a operational, financial, and overall holistic perspective. I think that can be really interesting to talk about and discuss in interviews and essays especially if it ties in to your reasons for pursuing medicine, and I think was def a huge factor in my interviews this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Below is the template you should complete but don’t put it in this thread/ forum. There is a WAMC forum that is very informative.

Also what are those 800 volunteer hours? Clinical, non-clinical? You have enough shadowing so if some of that 200 hours is with a primary care doc stop,shadowing and fill in other holes on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Below is the template you should complete but don’t put it in this thread/ forum. There is a WAMC forum that is very informative.

Also what are those 800 volunteer hours? Clinical, non-clinical? You have enough shadowing so if some of that 200 hours is with a primary care doc stop,shadowing and fill in other holes on your application.
200 hours where through hospice going in 4 times a week to talk to people and help them around there room
200 hours where through a school for special needs kids I did everything from change diapers to actually teaching
100 hours where volunteer in a lab for autism research

Research Hours- 100+ as a paid clinician

300 hours as the head of narcan training for the dallas area through drews 27 chains it is probably way more than that for hours. I was training professors students traveling to events etc. I would think those would be clinical.

Drews 27 chains is the big one for me I spent alot of time and energy with that organization and still do to this day.

You will be a doctor either way, whether MD or DO.

Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and Do schools and you should receive interviews. For AMCAS MD schools you could try TCU and Tulane. Als oapply to several more DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
ACOM
DMU-COM
PCOM

Is there a template? Why do you want to make this change? Why not pursue healthcare administration?
I have been involved with the complex care community for many years. Since I was roughly 8 years old. Complex care is children with rare syndromes like Cornelia de lang basically the special needs community. I originally wanted to do special education but then changed to business. I shadowed a complex care doctor and I became hooked I want to help the kids to live a normal life and help the parents. So thats why I want to go into medicine. There are alot more reasons but thats one of my main reasons.