Chances? High GPA and MCAT, but low CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The One Who Knocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm super frustrated with my CARS score, especially since I was averaging 127s and 128s on that section before test day, but I ended up with:

MCAT Overall: 513 (90th percentile)

Chem/Phys: 130 (97th percentile)
CARS: 123 (37th percentile)
Bio/Biochem: 129 (92nd percentile)
Psych/Soc: 131 (99th percentile)

I would hate to have to retake just because of one section, because I'm super happy with the other sections. I have been applying, but have been getting apprehensive thinking about that darn 123. I am not aiming for any fancy MD schools: I would love to get into Michigan State, and I went to Wayne State for undergrad.

My GPA is 3.94, I have ample ECs (shadowing, volunteering, leadership positions, medical brigade) and I have a publication with another pending.

Would mid-tier schools be out of reach because of one MCAT section? Would I have to retake? (I'd be kinda devastated).

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You are a good candidate for your Michigan schools so apply to Wayne State, Michigan State, Central Michigan, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. You could also try OOS schools such as:
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Tulane
NYMC
Quinnipiac