Chances of an MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-REXX

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am trying to apply for an MD/PhD program at either UF or UAB and I was wondering if anyone knew the statistics on those schools. I am a double major in Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences with a double minor in Mathematics and Honors; I take the MCAT for the first time in August, and I graduate in Spring 2024. I am also a Chemistry tutor for Gen and Orgo Chem. My GPA from my first institution was a 3.86 and my current GPA, one semester into this new university, is a 3.58 - that averages out to like a 3.72. Currently I do research with a professor and I should be publishing soon if all goes well, however, I have yet to actually shadow a Physician; I was going to hopefully do that this summer. The Head of the Department told me that shadowing a Physician was a bad idea and that I should focus solely on my research.

I am also Hispanic/Native American - I have heard that helps sometimes but I don't really know.

What are my chances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prereq grades:
Gen Chem 1 and lab - A
Gen Chem 2 and lab- B
Org 1 and lab - B
Orgo 2 and lab - B
Orgo 3 and lab - A
Physics 1 and lab - A
Physics 2 and lab - A
Bio 1 and lab - A
Bio 2 and lab - A
MicroBio - B+
MicroBio Lab - A
BioChem - In progress (hopefully and A)

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades look good, and hopefully do well on your MCAT. I would definitely focus on knowing that you like the research life while also understanding why you want to be an MD/PhD. Do you have an understanding of translational medicine? Have you talked to MD/PhD students or those who are in residency/postdoctoral training? Have you presented your work at SACNAS yet?

Reach out to the program directors at the MSTP programs at the schools of interest. The directors have been doing a lot of work to provide information for interested prospective applicants, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds. Disagreeing with your department head, if you're applying for an MD/PhD, you still need to have clinical experience and do some shadowing, but I would make sure I met with and shadowed an MD/PhD.

Reactions: 1 users
IIWY, I would research how many admitted MD/PHd students get admitted without any gap year/s research? Also, don't forget about volunteering non-clinical, and clinical experience. It is also generally assumed that 50 hours of shadowing inclusive of a primary care physician is required.
It is recommended to not take the MCAT before you are ready, retakes are not thought of favorably. If you are going to take a gap year, I woukd wait, MCats have a shelf life before expiring and you are taking it nearly two years before graduating.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current MD/PhD Applicant and it is very competitive. I had a 518/3.9x and have been fortunate to receive 3 interviews and am waiting on those final decisions. You NEED some sort of clinical exposure for sure, so shadowing a physician is a must. It is not as heavily weighted as MD-Only but you need to show that you understand what a clinical career consists of. Once you have the stats and the clinical exposure it is all about research. The average applicant has ~4,000 hours which typically includes multiple gap years. I am a traditional applicant and I can count on one hand the amount of other traditional applicants I have met on the interview trail.

- Show evidence of solid research experience with at least 1-2 good publications - and you may also be asked to write about your most significant research experience when you apply to various MD/PhD programs.

- Have a solid undergraduate GPA (especially sGPA).

- Strong MCAT - you should prepare for the MCAT ahead of time - and take the MCAT when you are truly ready to take the MCAT.

- Obtain strong recommendation letters (at least one LOR will be from your PI).

- Suggest you obtain clinical experience - because you need to have an idea about *what* you can expect as an aspiring physician, and you may also be asked to write about your most significant "clinical" experience.

- Suggest you obtain community service experience because you may also be asked to write about your most significant "community" service.

I wish you the best of success! :)