Chances of getting in with a 2.9 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fahani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.9 overall gpa. 2.0 science gpa at the moment but hoping to improve.
2 failed classes but retook them.
I am a junior in college and have not taken MCAT yet.
Is there hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there hope?

the deficit in overall GPA isn't something you can't overcome, if you got it to at least a 3.0, but the sGPA of 2.0 is very low. i know some self-righteous SDNer will be appalled by me saying this, but you really have to assess if medicine is the correct career for you. that being said, i don't know your whole story. you should discuss your situation with your school's premedical adviser and see what options you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there hope?
What is your GPA without the failed classes? Since you retook them, DO med schools would not include them in your application GPA (assuming the credit hours are the same or greater).

You might figure out how many more you'd need to retake to get your sGPA above a 3.0.

For either DO or MD school, as of right now? Chances are zero.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework. The easiest path will be for DO programs (thanks to AACOMAS' grade replacement policy).

You can do this at your UG school, or in a post-bac, either an organized one, or a DIY.

OR: enroll in a SMP given by a medical school. These programs are your backdoor into medical school.

Then ace the MCAT. There ARE MD schools that reward reinvention.

But before you do any of this, fix whatever deficits caused you to do so poorly.

And always have a backup plan. That's a sign of maturity.

Is there hope?

Try an SMP and easy your way in from there. Try to finish strong so they can at least see an upward trend.

Try an SMP and easy your way in from there. Try to finish strong so they can at least see an upward trend.
No decent SMP will accept op with those stats. In addition, there's no reason to believe that they would succeed in a rigorous smp with a 2.0 sgpa.

You need to first prove it to adcoms AND yourself that you can handle tough science courses before going the smp route.

Reactions: 1 user