Chances of getting into med school in Poland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LewandowskiFan123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my 4th year at the University of Toronto and I want to go to Poland to do the 4 year med school program in English. If all goes well this year my cGPA should be at around a 3.6-3.7. I also have average MCAT scores and have done over 3 years of volunteering at one of the largest hospitals in Toronto. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an indication of how good my chances are of getting into medical school in Poland, preferably in Poznan as I have lots of family near there.

Members don't see this ad.

I am entering my 4th year at the University of Toronto and I want to go to Poland to do the 4 year med school program in English. If all goes well this year my cGPA should be at around a 3.6-3.7. I also have average MCAT scores and have done over 3 years of volunteering at one of the largest hospitals in Toronto. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an indication of how good my chances are of getting into medical school in Poland, preferably in Poznan as I have lots of family near there.
The majority of Polish schools including Poznan has abolished the 4 year advanced MD program. The advanced MD program is now 6 years even if you have a B.Sc all required courses and the required MCAT score or higher. They days of the 4 year MD in Poland are over. I guess the schools want to make more money with 6 years of tutuion. This is the first time for fall enternace 2018 that all MD degrees will be 6 years regardless. They have different curriculum is you have a B.Sc. But it is is still 6 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of Polish schools including Poznan has abolished the 4 year advanced MD program. The advanced MD program is now 6 years even if you have a B.Sc all required courses and the required MCAT score or higher. They days of the 4 year MD in Poland are over. I guess the schools want to make more money with 6 years of tutuion. This is the first time for fall enternace 2018 that all MD degrees will be 6 years regardless. They have different curriculum is you have a B.Sc. But it is is still 6 years.

They will lose a lot of applicants since many university graduates won't be keen on doing a 6 year MD abroad, not sure how much they will benefit financially.
To my knowledge Jag and Lodz still offer 4 year MD North American style programs
So the days of the 4 year MD in Poland are not exactly over yet

I went to U of T as well! Small world. I do not know much about acceptance into Polish programs, but I have heard their schools are quite good. I have Bsc in life sciences, and currently enrolled in Italy, 6 years. Here, if you have a Bsc, you get a lot of credits. I got a TON of credits my first year, cause I took the bio/chem, all the pre-req stuff at U of T, same classes/profs you probably took as well. I barely had school so it was an easier transition.

Currently in my second year. And in my class, there is another kid from U of T. So weird! But in general, European schools are great. Apply everywhere you want to go including NA and the UK, your stats are solid.

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely not true. In fact I have friends who are applying for the 4 MD / advanced MD programs at Poznan, Warsaw, Lodz, Jag. I'm also currently attending school in Lodz, and this year the class size for the 4 MD program has actually increased. In addition, because of the destruction that affected the Caribbean med schools - lots of displaced students are applying for 4 MD Programs everywhere. So they are actually increasing for this upcoming year.

Ironically my friend also applied from UofT and I'm from Toronto also :) I would say in general you have a good chance in getting into the school. Luckily you aren't applying this year - the amount of displaced students is insane - St. George's in the Caribbean is already almost full for their upcoming year, and they're implementing additional programs for those who are continuing to apply.

Have you looked at Hope Medical Institute? I've had some contact with Dr. Womack from Student Affairs. He's very hands on and called me to make sure I got his email about the pathways available. But, I'm still trying to figure out if it is legit.

@Maskchamp Which school are you in? Mind if I ask, did you have to take any entrance exams?

Have you looked at Hope Medical Institute? I've had some contact with Dr. Womack from Student Affairs. He's very hands on and called me to make sure I got his email about the pathways available. But, I'm still trying to figure out if it is legit.

@Maskchamp Which school are you in? Mind if I ask, did you have to take any entrance exams?

I'm at Humanitas in Milan. I did have to take an entrance exam. They had their own exam last year, very similar to IMAT and BMAT. This year they changed it though for some reason, it's the UKCAT. It's definitely easier than the MCAT and requires less preparation, but I never took it since they just changed it.

Good thing is that they don't ask for transcripts, experience, volunteer hours, rec letters, all that crap. Process is much simpler. Just take the exam and if you score high enough in the pool, you're in. Even if your score isn't high enough, a lot of people who do score well end up deferring, or going to another school so you can get bumped up.

Both Poznan and Jag still offer the advanced 4-year MD program for foreign applicants in 2018-2019 entry year and afterward.

For your information, Medical University of Lodz is also offering 4-year MD program but, as someone mentioned above, it's the advanced type of program destined for students who already have the BSc degree. Currently, there are two types of MD program in Poland - 4-year and 6-year and sometimes 4-year is a part of 6-year - it depends from the university, of course. I have friends studying in medical universities in different cities in Poland so I know that 4-year MD program is still a thing here.

I hope you made the right decision and will have a great time studying abroad :)