Chances of getting into Texas medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TL312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I turned in my primary app in June and sent in my secondary apps by July.

My cGPA is 3.73 and my sGPA is 3.6. Unfortunatey, I took the MCAT in May and got a 27S (10 V, 9 PS, 8 B). I re-took the MCAT in August and received a 30S (10 V, 9 PS, 11 B).

My clinical experiences include volunteering in a clinic in India and volunteering as a medical assistant at a free clinic here in Texas. I've volunteered with my local community clinic for about two years. I've shadowed a few doctors. I also did an internship with a state senator in the area of health policy during the state's leg. session.

I've received an interview from our state D.O. school but have not heard from any other medical schools. What do you think my chances are of getting interviews with other schools in Texas? I'm getting kind of antsy because it's October, and I know what that means for acceptance chances in Texas medical schools :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in Texas and applied to all of the Texas schools except for Baylor. We have very similar stats, 27 then 30 although your gpa is better than mine. I applied later than you and have an interview this week in El Paso, but have not heard from anyone else. I think you should have a good chance for some more interviews. Don't worry yet.

I also have not heard from many schools yet. I'm regretting not retaking the MCAT right now. I have an interview at TCOM next week, but really getting nervous about not hearing from other schools yet. I didn't finish most of the secondaries until mid-September/early October... I guess that is probably why I haven't heard. Should I be really worried at this point?

Last edited:
I turned in my primary app in June and sent in my secondary apps by July.

My cGPA is 3.73 and my sGPA is 3.6. Unfortunatey, I took the MCAT in May and got a 27S (10 V, 9 PS, 8 B). I re-took the MCAT in August and received a 30S (10 V, 9 PS, 11 B).

My clinical experiences include volunteering in a clinic in India and volunteering as a medical assistant at a free clinic here in Texas. I've volunteered with my local community clinic for about two years. I've shadowed a few doctors. I also did an internship with a state senator in the area of health policy during the state's leg. session.

I've received an interview from our state D.O. school but have not heard from any other medical schools. What do you think my chances are of getting interviews with other schools in Texas? I'm getting kind of antsy because it's October, and I know what that means for acceptance chances in Texas medical schools :(

on the same boat...i had a 26 then took it in aug and got a 28.. i have a 3.99.. i submitted in july and ver. in aug
got 2 interviews, tcom and el paso
hang in there! i have a feeling we will hear something soon..def. by the end of the month!! they just got our new mcat in September soo it just takes time to review you
dont worry just yet :)

Same here.
Retake in August with a 29. Lower GPA but non-traditional with post-bac and strong upward trend. Turned in secondaries in September. Interviewed at TCOM but still waiting everywhere else.

Same here.
Retake in August with a 29. Lower GPA but non-traditional with post-bac and strong upward trend. Turned in secondaries in September. Interviewed at TCOM but still waiting everywhere else.

Just hang in there, guys. The invites will come when you least expected. I got a 28 my first time and just retook it on Sept 10 and got a 31. I didn't get my score until Oct 10, and two or three days after I released my score to TMDSAS, i got an invite from el paso and two days after that an invite from UTSW. I wasn;t even expecting anything for at least two weeks. So it could come in any day now. Don't give up =)
My GPA is 3.9.

Hey guys,

I've never actually posted on SDN, but I've read pages from it for years. I am almost exactly in all of your positions, and am here to offer hope lol. :p

My stats/info:

TMDSAS Submitted: 9/16/2009
Submitted Secondaries for Texas Schools: 9/16-20/2009
TMDSAS Transmitted: 10/14/2009
Received by most schools: 10/14/2009 - 10/31/2009 (as per emails/websites)

MCAT: 29R
cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.74
Degree: Biology (BS) and Psychology (BS) in 4 yrs from Texas State. Graduated 2009.
Lots of research, moderate ECs, low-moderate shadowing.
Currently, 23 yrs old, white, female, Texas resident.

This is my 2nd year applying, retook MCAT (25P) after applying last year and getting one interview at UT-Houston somehow ;) (Probably only got that interview because I did research with them for 5 summers from high school to college). Obviously, did not get in but am enjoying my year off from school A LOT. Blessing in disguise... seriously, because I'm newly married (5 months!) and it's been great being at home and working and spending time with my new hubby!

So here is the hope... :D

I've gotten 3 interview invitations so far--
UTMB: received invite 10/28 for 11/13 interview
Tx Tech-Lubbock: received invite 11/12 for 12/4 interview
A&M: received invite 11/18 for 12/3 interview, but rescheduled to 12/10 because of Lubbock interview conflict.

SO... there is hope for those who applied late (me), have <30 MCATs (me), who have applied more than once (me), etc. Don't lose faith. I got that A&M invite TODAY... so they are still going out. :thumbup:

Now I'm just hoping/praying for an acceptance :luck: What do you guys think, likelihood wise based on my stats/interviews.