Chances of Getting into these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGettier

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, my chances look pretty good, especially for my preferred school, but just wanted to see what other peoples opinions are.

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.8. A's in gross anatomy, physiology, psych, physics, bio, statistics, kinesiology, almost all the pre-reqs besides exercise physiology and chemistry which I got B's in. And A's in all other non pre-reqs and other courses.

I have 285 PT observation hours. I recently took the revised GRE and got a 149 on verbal, 150 on quantitative, and 3.5 on writing. My number one and two school choices, University of Maryland-Baltimore, and Ohio State have GRE averages of 155/154 on each section and 4 on the writing. So I'm not far off at all from the averages.

And I'm from MD. So for UMD I'd be considered instate and 75% of the applicants they accept are instate and their average GPA is only 3.6. OSU's is 3.8 and they also accept more instate.

I know a guy that went to UMD for PT and he only had a 3.5 GPA and 250 hours. I have a better GPA and more hours than that but I know theres more to it obviously. But also that was years ago he went there.

Also applied to University of Delaware, Arcadia, Pitt, Northwestern, adn WVU.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a first year student at Arcadia, about a month into the program. I still have no idea how I am here . 3.15 GPA, 162/161/5.0 GRE. So take that as you will - numbers do matter a lot, but apparently admission committees look at other stuff too.

I'm currently a first year student at Arcadia, about a month into the program. I still have no idea how I am here . 3.15 GPA, 162/161/5.0 GRE. So take that as you will - numbers do matter a lot, but apparently admission committees look at other stuff too.
Wow that is strange. A 3.15. Well, you did pretty good on the GRE and it seems like they take that into consideration more than most schools. I looked on PTCAS to find their averages among the students that get accepted and I don't even requirements they have listed for the GRE. Even though a 149 and 150 isnt too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to break it to you, but if a school has average accepted scores of 154/155, than your scores are quite a bit off. I would be most concerned with your 149 and 3.5, as they are below the minimum requirements of most programs. There is a big difference between a 3.5 and a 4.0 on the writing section. Even if the programs do not have an official 150-150-4.0 rule, I would be concerned with scores below the 50th percentile.

I know for a fact that Ohio State uses GRE and GPA to rank applicants, and especially being out-of-state, you need to have GRE scores above their averages. Your GPA is great though. Good luck! I'm also applying to Ohio State and Delaware :)

I hate to break it to you, but if a school has average accepted scores of 154/155, than your scores are quite a bit off. I would be most concerned with your 149 and 3.5, as they are below the minimum requirements of most programs. There is a big difference between a 3.5 and a 4.0 on the writing section. Even if the programs do not have an official 150-150-4.0 rule, I would be concerned with scores below the 50th percentile.

I know for a fact that Ohio State uses GRE and GPA to rank applicants, and especially being out-of-state, you need to have GRE scores above their averages. Your GPA is great though. Good luck! I'm also applying to Ohio State and Delaware :)
Those GRE scores I mentioned, the 154/155 and 4 are the AVERAGES though. Meaning there are many students with scores both below and above those numbers. They aren't minimum requirements. But I don't know maybe they are too far off. My grades are my strong point so hopefully that can really help me.