Chances of getting into top post bacc (Bryn Mawr, Johns Hopkins, Goucher, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances of getting into one of the top post bacc programs? (bryn mawr, goucher, etc.)

• No sorry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

latinainmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am wondering if someone can give me some realistic feedback on my chances of getting into one of the top post bacc programs (Johns Hopkins, Bryn Mawr, Goucher, UPenn, Columbia, NYU etc.)

I graduated from a small liberal arts all womens college with a 3.5.
High school was less stellar with a 3.3 and 1800 sat scores.
I've worked all throughout college, and I'm currently working in finance and hoping desperately to get into a post bacc program by summer/fall 2016.

Some more background:
Latina (fluent in Spanish)
& this year I'll be spending some time abroad doing a healthcare internship. This will be my first time officially working/ volunteering in a healthcare setting and I'm hoping this will show the admissions offices that I am passionate about pursuing a career as a physician.

Is there any realistic chance, with my stats, that I could be accepted into one of these programs?!

Members don't see this ad.

You're jumping the gun. Also, save "desperate" for pre-allo, with the drama queen tweens.

1. Get some US health care experience before you decide to go to med school. Volunteer at a US hospital starting right now. US health care is not at all like health care in the rest of the developed world, and it's also not at all like health care in the undeveloped world. You might have a blast overseas, and come back to some extreme disappointment. Or vice versa. I'm not saying don't do the overseas gig, it's just not going to serve as exposure to the field you're presumably going for (US medical practice).

2. Whatever is motivating you to pursue only top formal EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE postbacs should be reconsidered. There are a lot of ways to get prereqs done. Find out how the other 99% of non-science majors get ready for med school before you get excited about a top shelf program.

3. Find the SDN postbac forum, down under interdisciplinary, and get a look at your competition for these programs. And then find ideas for alternatives.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I'm actually in the same boat - currently preparing applications to those exact programs! I'm also Latina, and fluent in Spanish, and I also attended a women's college! I graduated with a 3.6 GPA and my SATs were 2030. I have little to no healthcare experience, as I've spent the last 2 years since I graduated from college working in sales. I think we both have a good chance, but we will have to craft a well thought out and consistent story about ourselves. We have to explain how our path led us to wanting a career in medicine. We can do this!!