Chances of getting into UC schools as out-of-state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi
Does anybody know what are the chances of getting into UC schools as an out of state? Many people have told me that I'm wasting my time because it's close to impossible, whereas UCSF says it accepts 20% out of state...!
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Slim to none...I think even Jesus would have trouble getting into UCSF unless he was a Cali. resident. And please don't take this as being pessimistic, 'cause I'd love to be wrong about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I responded to this in another forum, but just in case....here goes again: Again, I am a Med I at UCSF (read my diaries on this website
smile.gif
), and I would guess that about 20% of our class is from out of state, just like the ad. com info says. None of my classmates, as far as I can tell, are Jesus
smile.gif
. They are pretty darn smart, though, and I assume that they all had good stats to get here, either from in state or out of state. The other UCs seem to take way fewer out-of-staters, so I would check w/them before wasting my time applying. USC is a private school, so I don't think they have a California preference, but I didn't apply there, so I don't really know. Hope it helps. Good luck!

caffeinegirl, have you (or anyone) gotten a secondary from UCSF or UCLA as an out-of-stater?

How about with an August MCAT?

Any outright rejections yet w/o receiving a secondary?

Emily1, do you mind posting your stats?
State residence, GPA, MCATs?

Would be greatly appreciated. Really enjoy your entries!

[This message has been edited by Oceandust (edited 11-14-2000).]

I'm pretty sure your question has already been answered, but certain UC's such as Davis and Irvine have basically a 0% acceptance rate for out-of-staters, however UCLA and UCSF have some higher numbers. I forget about SD, but I'm pretty sure they accept a few also.

Hi Oceandust,
After some thought, I'm thinking that I;d rather not post my stats here if you don't mind -- mostly because I think I don't have quite the anonymity that other people on this board do. (i.e. I know some of my classmates are on here, and I'm not sure how I feel about sharing w/everyone). And the numbers wouldn't be that informative for you, anyway...I was totally "ballpark" for UCSF -- some numbers a little higher, others right about average. They screen numbers pretty carefully before sending secondaries, so I think that once you get to the secondary/interview stage, there may be less of a focus on the stats, and more focus on what makes you stand out.

I was a CA resident, but again, there are a lot of people here who are not, so don't lose hope! I just don't know if their stats are a lot higher than the avg., but I know that a lot of them have said that they got interviews later in the admissions cycle...so you might want to prepare for a wait. If you find that happening, I think it can't hurt to send a letter expressing your interest in the school. I can check in the admissions office on that if you like. Other thought: they definitely seem to like oddball applicants here. We have a lot of typical biochem majors, but also a LOT of people who have done significant other work, usually in some kind of socially redeeming field. If you have interesting life experiences and a great AMCAS essay, it will help you a lot. Best of luck!! Let us know what happens.

Hi Oceandust
I received secondaries for both UCSF and UCLA as an out-of-stater. Haven't heard back from them....
I took the April MCAT.
I'm not the only one who received secondaries as an out-of-stater..other classmates of mine have as well
smile.gif

No rejections...no news...nothing
I'll keep you posted

To the others...
thanks for the info! I really appreciate the candidness of this forum
smile.gif

Thanks caffeinegirl and Emily for the info and support.

Prophetically, hours after writing the previous message, I received a letter from UCSF, saying that my app did not receive "favorable consideration," ie a no-go.

Stats are decent 3.95 GPA sci/overall at a solid state school with a 34R MCAT, distributed near evenly.

Have some creative extracurrics, and am working a year between undergrad and med school in something pretty non-typical, and health-related.

Wanted to ask you (since this is first time applying) if its worth finding out why (and if so, how, if you've ever been in the situation), or cutting bait now. Perhaps my numbers are too low for out-of-state? Is this the feeling you get from the outof staters?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Oh, I'm sorry about the letter...I really hate being proved wrong about things (though it's becoming an increasingly common feeling with every new day of medical school that goes by). I would check w/a trusted professor/pre-med advisor about whether it makes sense to call the school for more info -- my guess is that you're not likely to get a whole lot of info out of them. However, if someone more knowledgeable suggests you call, then I guess there's nothing to lose. I don't really think that your numbers are off...but I do think that there's a HUGELY random nature to this whole application process, which is probably what you're seeing. One last thing: chances are, you're going to get into good medical schools, and this little set-back will not matter in the least, in the long term. I found that there was NO rhyme or reason to why I got into certain schools and not others -- I was rejected from several of my "safety" schools, and got into some other schools where I almost didn't apply b/c I figured I had no chance at all. I don't know if that's encouraging or not...I guess all I'm saying is...at this point, you don't need to worry about it anymore -- your work is done, and now all you can really do is sit back, feel proud of your accomplishments, & wait for the schools to do their part of the work. Good luck with it... I'm sure it's going to be just fine.

Hey Emily, another question for you if you don't mind -- do you know anything about the UCSF "hold for interview" list -- my advisor seemed to think they end up interviewing about 10-15% of the people on this list, but I was wondering if you had any more concrete info., or any advice on how to possibly boost my chances. Thanks in advance.