Chances to match into FM or Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickiM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
What are my chances to match with the following stats into family medicine or psychiatry?

LECOM student
gpa: 3.5
step 1: failed
Level 1: Pass
Level 2: 447

400hrs community service
100hrs research

I know my level 2 is low and doesn't help that i failed step 1. Looking for some guidance on where to apply

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you apply fm with comlex only you will still match. I’m not sure about psych these days

If you have a strong psych background such as an undergrad in psych, working with psych patients, publications, etc. you can match into psych. I know a lot of people with very poor scores that make up for it with true dedication to the field. Psych is one of those that really takes care of their own, but you have to be 100% in. Otherwise, I would say your best bet would be IM, FM, Peds or Path

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych is different, it's not totally a number game. Do you fit in psych that's the main thing but FM you will get. Don't release your step 1 score, you don't have to. Apply broadly for FM. All the best!

There are some newer psych programs in western NY you should consider. But I bet you will get interviews from some more established programs, too. Just based on location, I know a lot of Lecom grads have ended up at these places below.

Upstate NY programs for you to think about:
Garnet Health Medical Center
Rochester General Hospital
Utica/Faxton St. Luke’s
Nuvance/Healthquest program in New Carmel
Arnot Ogden
Also consider Towerhealth in Reading, PA

Out of that list, I actually thought Utica/Faxton and GHMC seemed like solid programs, even though Utica is basically brand new. Best of luck op

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
What are my chances to match with the following stats into family medicine or psychiatry?

LECOM student
gpa: 3.5
step 1: failed
Level 1: Pass
Level 2: 447

400hrs community service
100hrs research

I know my level 2 is low and doesn't help that i failed step 1. Looking for some guidance on where to apply

you can still match into psychiatry, depends on the program. Im an attending psychiatrist, when i was a resident i was also on the selection comittee for my program. You can compensate for your failure/score by your background, unique story, diversity, experiences, etc. These can play a huge role. Also being practical of where you apply, and applying very broadly. Feel free to message me with any questions

Reactions: 1 users