Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bm2001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure what will happen

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Science GPA
freshman year: 1.83
sophomore year: 2.8
junior year: 3.29

Cumulative science: 2.67
Cumulative overall: 3.1

Apply this year or next? Would a great MCAT score make a difference?

Not going to lie, that's pretty rough. Definitely do not apply this year. If you don't have an MCAT score by June there's no point, and that sGPA isn't going to get you into any MD or DO program (that I know of).

Retake any class where you got below a C, and definitely apply broadly to DO schools so that you can take advantage of grade replacement. Hopefully your clinical experience is solid.

You might want to look into SMPs if you can pull your grades up with re-takes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi every one, I am Canadian student applying to U.S. med school. My gpa is 3.9 with MCAT 31 (PS: 12, VR: 8, BS: 11).

EC: 200 hours of hospital volunteering, and psychology research at university lab.

My worry is that the mcat score is not good enough to cut it. Should I retake it, or do I have a chance?:luck:

Hi every one, I am Canadian student applying to U.S. med school. My gpa is 3.9 with MCAT 31 (PS: 12, VR: 8, BS: 11).

EC: 200 hours of hospital volunteering, and psychology research at university lab.

My worry is that the mcat score is not good enough to cut it. Should I retake it, or do I have a chance?:luck:

u r fine where you are at.

Good upward trend in GPA.

a 30+ MCAT will get you interviews to some low-mid tier allo. schools.

However it all depends on your EC's.

Grades alone do not get you into medical school

Science GPA

Lol, not going to happen, my friend. You have an uphill battle if you want to go to medical school. Actually, you're better off looking into another career.

2 years, heavy science course load, 3.7+ GPA, 30+ MCAT, get passionate about some ECs, apply to med school.

Your numbers are not competitive for any DO or MD program. No MCAT score will save those GPAs.

Suggest finishing as strong as you can, and then think about a SMP, preferably one given at a medical school, or re-take all F/D/C grade coursework, take advantage of AACOMAS grade replacement policy (which does wonders for GPA) and apply strictly DO.

Science GPA