chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathancns90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • B.S. Neurobiology, 3.194 overall, 3.2 science. The Univ of Texas - Austin (yes our chauvinistic football program sucks again this year...)
  • 32 MCAT.
  • 200+ Hospital Volunteer hours.
  • Cardiovascular research experience at UT Southwestern.
  • Shadowed over a dozen doctors (50+ hr).
  • President and Founder of a 40+ member pre-DO organization
    --> DO Speaker series.
    --> Invited TCOM admissions committee member to speak at our general meeting (excellent connection, wants me to apply)
  • Letters of rec from DOs and the president of state D.O. organization (TOMA).
  • Health Information Technology certificate.
  • Worked 3 jobs while in college to pay for books, car, and housing (loans for tuition).
  • and I have an innate case of the notorious "Dr.s horrible handwriting".

• Worst thing is a C- in biochem 2 (had a B, got the flu during finals)
    I plan retake at junior college to get the A, bringing overall GPA up to a 3.2.
Recent graduate. Decided not to apply after 6 years of working towards a premed dream. I wasn't ready, (slightly burnt out).
I am taking a year off and working in the healthcare industry. This has been the best decision ever. With all of my friends in Med school now I am starting to miss it, and I am sure I will regain the energy/passion to make it through.

TCOM said they like their applicants to have a 3.5 gpa...

Can't decide if DO or Caribbean MD would be better.
Apply in summer 2014. Chances? Thanks

Huh....

I think your chances for getting into a DO program are good, as long as you apply to at least a decently-sized handful. Your MCAT is good. A US medical degree, whether DO or MD, puts you in a much better position when it comes time to get into the residency/specialty you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks,
I have a two friends who graduated from Caribbeans: Ross, and CMU. Both managed to get a US residency.
Whereas my D.O. friend will also get a residency, but will have a different title at the end of the day.

So my hesitation is about the MD versus DO title politics. (I have witnessed political discrimination).

At the end of the day, I would love to practice medicine whether I am a DO, or MD.

I don't get why you would help organize a pre-DO club at UT when you think Carib MD is a better option?? At the end of the day, you are implying you don't fully believe in DO. I know you need to fill that EC space in TMDSAS, but c'mon.

I think If you were to apply early, TCOM is not a 100% out of reach. However, it will be very difficult, it is pretty competitive. Now the fact that you have a history with the folks there might actually help you land an ii.
Good luck

Thanks,
I have a two friends who graduated from Caribbeans: Ross, and CMU. Both managed to get a US residency.
Whereas my D.O. friend will also get a residency, but will have a different title at the end of the day.

So my hesitation is about the MD versus DO title politics. (I have witnessed political discrimination).

At the end of the day, I would love to practice medicine whether I am a DO, or MD.

this is borderline trolling

Thanks,

How can you be so misinformed and been a founder of a Pre-DO club? Go ahead, get your Caribbean MD and see if the US grads take you seriously because you have "MD" after your name.