DO Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calm them

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start off with the numbers:
2.9 sGPA & 3.0 cGPA
28 MCAT (10, 9, 9)

Other:
2 leadership positions, clinical research experience, many hours of shadowing DO/MD
multiple years of volunteering at hospitals/soup kitchen, great LOR from MD/DO/Professors
Medical internship abroad (serving underprivileged)
Most of my time and volunteering is focused on serving the underprivileged because I'm really passionate about that and I noticed that many schools focus on that in their mission statements. Also, my family and I went through a rough time financially so it impacted my grades.

I am prepared to apply to all DO schools if that's what it takes, so what are my chances of getting an interview/acceptance into one of these schools? What schools, if any, do you think will offer me an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have time or money to re-take 1 or 2 science classes this summer to get the science gpa above a 3.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT is perfectly fine but I think the science gpa definitely needs to get above a 3.0. Can you not squeeze it in at a community college at night to reduce costs?

To give you an idea, I was unsuccessful this cycle with a 27 MCAT (9/9/9), ~3.4 science gpa and 2.93 cumulative gpa so the <3.0 was a killer for me. It seems pretty rare to be accepted with a sub 3.0, regardless of MCAT score. And the science gpa is weighted heavily.

With a GPA sub 3.0 you are likely to get auto screened... i would highly suggest bringing that up

Probably can land a low tier DO. I wouldn't bother with the more established schools.

CUSOM, MUCOM, VCOM, LECOM E and B, PCOM-ga, SOMA, AZCOM, LMU, Nova

I would take the time to do a post-bacc program and boost your stats, you're looking at low-tier DO right now.