MD & DO Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesebelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my MCAT score recently and it was not quite as high as I would have liked. I received a 29 (9/11/9) (PS/VS/BS).
My overall GPA is 3.85 with an sGPA of about 3.80. I am a lifelong Michigan resident.
By the time of possible application I will have,
- about 80 hours of shadowing (pediatric, family medicine and possibly ER as well, all MD)
- 100 hours of clinical hospital volunteering
- 8 months of regular work at a Physical therapy clinic (all hands on patient work)
- 4.5 years of work at a non-clinical job, but definitely a source of leadership
- Likely one publication
- 3-4 very strong letters of rec

So basically, my questions is do I have a chance to get in this cycle (2016)? I am open to both MD and DO (though I am slightly less familiar with DO is there anything else I might need to add to be more competitive at those schools?)
My plan would be to apply to most schools in Michigan (not U of M.. ) and then search for other schools OOS friendly based on MSAR and other resources.
Thank you everyone in advance for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay here is a preliminary school list... I can add and delete as necessary I tried to match schools that had an MCAT score close to mine and were friendly to out of state applicants
1. MSUCOM/ MSU CHM (one or the other)

2. CMU

3. OU Beaumont

4. Western Mich

5. Wayne State

6. Howard University

7. Medical College of Wisconsin

8. DMU-COM (Des Moines)

9. Chicago college of Osteopathic Medicine

10. Meharry Medical College

Seriously, any help/ advice is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a demonstrated commitment to serve communities of color? If not, delete the HBCU's.
The rest of your list is a good start! A few more and you are in business.
Oh no not so much I don't I didn't notice that and I will remove that school. Do you think I should stick to adding more DO schools or just lower tier MD schools?
Thank you very much! I appreciate the input!

Oh no not so much I don't I didn't notice that and I will remove that school. Do you think I should stick to adding more DO schools or just lower tier MD schools?
Thank you very much! I appreciate the input!
Both Howard and Meharry are HBCU's.
I like to see a dozen good MD choices, but if you have a handful of DO schools where you would be happy, any number of MD will be ok.

I suggest
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Loyola
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Va Tech
Any DO program. Start with MSUCOM, CCOM, MUCOM, LECOM and DMU

@gyngyn Oh yikes sorry please forgive my ignorance but thank you! I will definitely keep searching! (and this time perhaps look a little more closely!)

@Goro
Thank you! are those in addition to ones that I have already listed (minus Howard and Meharry) or in place of?

Reactions: 1 user