Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kokomo123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm really freaking stressed about getting into a top med school. I have relatively good stats, and am confident I'll get into A med school, but obviously it would be really nice to get into a top tier. Anyway, I just wanted to get a variety of opinions on my chances. Not just my chances of getting in, but mostly my chances of just getting an interview. Because I seem pretty average on paper, but I relate well with people so... I feel like an interview might be that last little thing that puts me over the edge. Any who... my stats:

Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor: Sociology
Top 50 school
GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.70
MCAT: 38

ECs
-I was in a club where you built a go kart from scratch for 2 semesters
-AMSA for 5 semesters
-Colleges Against Cancer for 6 semesters
-Baking Club for 4 semesters (does it help having other fun interests? I honestly don't know...)
-Religious club for 6 semesters
-Mali Water Project, which I took a trip to Mali for. I was part of the club for 4 semesters, vice president for 2

Non-clinical Volunteer
-Mentor, kind of like a big brothers, big sisters thing for 4 semesters (4 hours a week for the year)
-Soup kitchen volunteer for about 150 hours
-Animal shelter for about 150 hours
-Assisted Living Facility for about 100 hours

Clinical Volunteer
Hospital volunteer for about 200 hours

Shadowing
I've shadowed a plethora of specialties for about 150 hours total

Research
-Lab studying Parkinson's disease and misc. movement disorders for 2 semesters and a summer (about 450 hours total), published once
-Currently participating in a neurology lab, so far 2 semesters and a summer (about 450 hours total), published twice
-I have a research abroad opportunity for this summer at the University of Zurich

So, as you can see, I have relatively solid ECs, but my GPA is a little low for a top tier. My top schools are Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UWash, UCLA, UCSF and UChicago. I would absolutely love to go to Harvard, which I know is a top research, so I'm hoping my research experience helps. Also, my freshman year was awful. I finished with about a 3.2ish GPA and basically worked my ass off for the next 4 semesters to bring it up and get my life in order. My second semester I ended up with a 2.86 due to a lot of personal issues. I was wondering if that would affect my application. Or if it might even help because I've persevered through difficult times? Idk. I'm just a naturally high-strung person, so your guy's input would be quite helpful. Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're fine. Apply anywhere you want, but just make sure to include a few targets and safeties too.

It's a crap shoot especially the top tiers. Apply to your dream schools but apply to more targets and safeties and see what happens. You just never know so don't be disappointed if the Top Tiers don't work out. Good luck.

Nothing wrong with aiming high. I suggest:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA (maybe)
U MI (maybe)
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
Ohio State
UCLA OR UCSD OR UCI
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Okay, so I'm really freaking stressed about getting into a top med school. I have relatively good stats, and am confident I'll get into A med school, but obviously it would be really nice to get into a top tier. Anyway, I just wanted to get a variety of opinions on my chances. Not just my chances of getting in, but mostly my chances of just getting an interview. Because I seem pretty average on paper, but I relate well with people so... I feel like an interview might be that last little thing that puts me over the edge. Any who... my stats:

Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor: Sociology
Top 50 school
GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.70
MCAT: 38

ECs
-I was in a club where you built a go kart from scratch for 2 semesters
-AMSA for 5 semesters
-Colleges Against Cancer for 6 semesters
-Baking Club for 4 semesters (does it help having other fun interests? I honestly don't know...)
-Religious club for 6 semesters
-Mali Water Project, which I took a trip to Mali for. I was part of the club for 4 semesters, vice president for 2

Non-clinical Volunteer
-Mentor, kind of like a big brothers, big sisters thing for 4 semesters (4 hours a week for the year)
-Soup kitchen volunteer for about 150 hours
-Animal shelter for about 150 hours
-Assisted Living Facility for about 100 hours

Clinical Volunteer
Hospital volunteer for about 200 hours

Shadowing
I've shadowed a plethora of specialties for about 150 hours total

Research
-Lab studying Parkinson's disease and misc. movement disorders for 2 semesters and a summer (about 450 hours total), published once
-Currently participating in a neurology lab, so far 2 semesters and a summer (about 450 hours total), published twice
-I have a research abroad opportunity for this summer at the University of Zurich

So, as you can see, I have relatively solid ECs, but my GPA is a little low for a top tier. My top schools are Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UWash, UCLA, UCSF and UChicago. I would absolutely love to go to Harvard, which I know is a top research, so I'm hoping my research experience helps. Also, my freshman year was awful. I finished with about a 3.2ish GPA and basically worked my ass off for the next 4 semesters to bring it up and get my life in order. My second semester I ended up with a 2.86 due to a lot of personal issues. I was wondering if that would affect my application. Or if it might even help because I've persevered through difficult times? Idk. I'm just a naturally high-strung person, so your guy's input would be quite helpful. Thanks so much! :)