Change of educational career path...too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StaphRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking to reconsider my career path for my own reasons.

I am looking into my former interests and possible alternative route to my career path. I was interested in Medicine, then Dentistry (which I got) and then now, I am reconsidering Pharmacy. Is it too late for me to apply now for the Fall 2009 school year?

I have taken the DAT and I was wondering how similar/comparable it is to the PCAT.

I haven't had the opportunity to research further, but if anyone has advice about applying to Pharmacy now for the Fall 2009 term, and know better than I right now, I'd greatly appreciate any words of wisdoms. =)

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on where you want to go. Many of the schools have deadlines that are coming up soon or have already passed. Some schools won't accept the January PCAT because the scores would be sent out after the deadline. I'd go to pharmcas.org and look at the school pages for the specifics of the schools you are interested in. You very well might have time to get in the application, I just wouldn't waste any time! The January PCAT late registration deadline is Jan. 9th I believe, so take that into consideration as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi staph,
I agree, you should look at pharmCAS website to check out schools you are interested in. Quite a few have their deadlines passed, but about half still have deadlines for submission in Feb1, March 1 so you still have time for those schools. Also remember to take the pcat.
If you missed deadlines for schools you want, I would recommend applying next year so you get a chance for all schools. Why did you reconsider your dental career?
Also, do you do research on MRSA?

Both responses are very very good and true. I will look into and do more research, and apply in the meantime.

I will try the Jan PCAT, if I can figure out how to high yield study for it...

Change of career path, (yet still want to remain in the healthcare profession), because I realize that no matter how much I want it (the future and stability of the profession) and had the opportunity to pursue it, my mind just wasn't in the game. Something just wasn't fitting right. Looking into alternative path that I had some background in as well, thank goodness for a major that can fulfill another great profession of interest. =)

Thank you for your time and advice. I will work on them now. =)

Last edited:
Hi staph,
I agree, you should look at pharmCAS website to check out schools you are interested in. Quite a few have their deadlines passed, but about half still have deadlines for submission in Feb1, March 1 so you still have time for those schools. Also remember to take the pcat.
If you missed deadlines for schools you want, I would recommend applying next year so you get a chance for all schools. Why did you reconsider your dental career?
Also, do you do research on MRSA?

Hello, Avuong:

Hahaha, no research on MRSA. Just a nickname I got while my friends were studying Pharmacology and I just used it's abbreviated name for my username. =)

Good luck~ I will look into your suggestions. Thanks!