CHARLES DREW Secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAOZA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here receive the Drew secondary? If so, how long did it take to receive it after being verified and which method was it received (email or snail mail)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it is even worth returning the secondary since King/Drew will see its last patient in November. They are closing (against their will - failed too many inspections). Google it for more info.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9922875/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

I didn't read anything about November being a closing date but this is valuable information to have.

If you really want to go there and you have the extra cash and time for the 2ndry I would complete it. The first two years are done at UCLA anyway. Maybe funding will be restored by then. Worse comes to worse students will probably have to do there clinical years at Harbor-UCLA or another county hospital. Drew is a very small program (24 students), I don't think they would just leave the medical students out in the cold. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone here receive the Drew secondary? If so, how long did it take to receive it after being verified and which method was it received (email or snail mail)?

I received two e-mails one stating my primary was being reviewed and the other requesting a 2ndry.

AMCAS verified 8/24
e-mail app under review 8/29
2ndry request 9/1

King/Drew Fails Final U.S. Test

The hospital will lose all federal money by year's end, throwing its fate in doubt. Supervisors will hold an emergency meeting Monday.

By Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber, Times Staff Writers

September 23, 2006

Federal regulators notified Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center late Friday that it had failed what was billed as a "make or break" inspection and would lose annual funding of about $200 million — more than half the hospital's budget — at the end of the year.

The move is likely to force Los Angeles County to close the long-troubled public hospital, give it to someone else to run or turn it into a clinic, as officials have repeatedly acknowledged.

During a lengthy meeting, federal inspectors told King/Drew officials that the hospital still did not meet minimum patient-care standards.

King/Drew has been out of compliance with federal guidelines since January 2004, when it was first cited for serious lapses in care that had injured and killed patients.

During the latest inspection, the hospital failed nine of the government's 23 conditions for federal funding, according to a letter from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services that was hand-delivered Friday to King/Drew's administrator.

Federal regulators identified problems in nursing, pharmacy, infection control, surgical services, rehabilitation services, quality control, patients' rights and the hospital's governing body and physical plant.

In fact, inspectors found more problems in the supposedly reformed King/Drew than they had at any time in the last three years. Some of the life-threatening lapses cited were nearly identical to those found in the past.

For instance, the letter said, "there were no appropriately trained and competent staff, on the 3E unit, assigned to watch the heart monitors of seriously ill patients who required cardiorespiratory monitoring. This is especially troublesome, because previously documented cases showed that patients died when nurses at King/Drew failed to heed heart monitor warnings."

Staff members also admitted to inspectors that they had hit a patient's morphine pump at least five times to deliver additional sedation, even though the device is intended only to be used by patients. The inspectors called this "a very unsafe practice that can lead to over-sedation, respiratory depression or even death," the letter says.

"Termination of the Medicare provider agreement is final," the letter states in underlined text.

It was unclear Friday night whether or how the hospital might continue to operate. The decision means that King/Drew, as currently configured, cannot continue to receive crucial federal funding for Medicare and Medi-Cal patients.

County health officials said their lawyers have called an emergency closed-door meeting of the Board of Supervisors on Monday to discuss the hospital's future. Supervisors could not be reached for comment late Friday.

In a statement, county health officials said they were still analyzing the agency's decision.

"The department is committed to finding ways to provide the community access to essential medical services," said Dr. Bruce Chernof, director of the county Department of Health Services.

The federal government has threatened to pull its funding from King/Drew at least three times before, but it has repeatedly granted reprieves after county officials pledged reforms, including training and disciplinary action for problem employees. In June, the agency said King/Drew would not be given additional chances if it failed a final, top-to-bottom inspection, which was unannounced and took place July 31 to Aug. 10.

The federal action marks a striking failure for the Board of Supervisors, which has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to fix the hospital in the last three years and has been harshly criticized for ignoring King/Drew's mounting problems.

Jim Lott, executive vice president of the Hospital Assn. of Southern California, said the county's only choice now is to hand the hospital "lock, stock and barrel" to a private hospital chain and accede to whatever demands that provider makes.

"They have no choice if they want to keep it going," said Lott, who served as vice chairman of a now-disbanded King/Drew advisory committee. "The county can't afford to come up with $200 million to $300 million to provide King/Drew the money that's going to be lost as a result of this.

"I think the community is going to be absolutely unglued — absolutely unglued — over this," he added.

Federal regulators sent in their own staff this summer to help train King/Drew doctors and nurses in how to pass the final inspection.

Chernof said in June that the hospital was well prepared for the visit. "The staff is really getting to the point where they would welcome the survey," he said at the time. "They've put a lot of energy in this and they're kind of ready to take the final exam."

The 252-bed hospital south of Watts is one of the few sources of acute healthcare for the uninsured in South Los Angeles, most of them African American or Latino. King/Drew has enormous symbolic value as well: It was created to remedy racial inequities in healthcare after the 1965 Watts riots and has long been a source of pride — and jobs — in the community.

King/Drew, the second smallest of the county's four general hospitals, has 2,238 full-time employees and last year treated 11,000 inpatients and 167,000 outpatients.

The hospital has been beset by patient care lapses and other crises almost since it opened in 1972. But the last three years have been its most challenging. The latest crisis began in August 2003 when The Times reported that two women connected to cardiac monitors died after nurses failed to notice their vital signs deteriorating.

Since then, the newspaper and government inspectors have identified case after case in which patients have been harmed or killed because of serious lapses in care. The Medicare agency's inspectors now have visited the hospital 15 times.

In December 2004, The Times ran a five-part series detailing how King/Drew was much more dangerous than the public knew. The newspaper found that, by a variety of measures, King/Drew was among the worst hospitals in the state, and even the nation.

The hospital's failings did not stem from a lack of money, as its supporters long contended. King/Drew spent more per patient than any of the three other general hospitals run by Los Angeles County.

Since the series ran, problems continued at the hospital, including additional patient deaths and timecard abuse by county-employed physicians and those under contract at King/Drew. The Times discovered that Navigant Consulting, the firm that has been paid more than $17 million to overhaul King/Drew, had inflated its own expenses.

In February 2005, the hospital lost its seal of approval from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, another vote of no confidence by medical experts in the hospital's quality.

The county has scrambled to fix problems at the hospital, taking some form of disciplinary action against 650 employees since January 2004, more than a quarter of its staff. More than 250 employees, 41 of them doctors, have been fired or resigned under investigation, according to a Sept. 15 memo from the county Department of Human Resources.

Former county health director Dr. Thomas Garthwaite said Friday that before he left in January, Catholic Healthcare West had expressed interest in taking over King/Drew. The county also discussed turning the hospital into an outpatient clinic under the licensure of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

"I think you've got to be able to pass the [Medicare] and the Joint Commission standards to run a hospital," he said. "Virtually every other hospital in the United States does."

County officials have said repeatedly over the last 2 1/2 years that King/Drew has turned a corner. Each time, when inspectors returned to assess the hospital's progress, they found problems.

In September 2004, the agency entered an unusual contract with the county, giving it a year to overhaul King/Drew's operations under the guidance of a hospital turn-around firm. But that deal expired and federal officials did not renew it.

The county had expected a final top-to-bottom evaluation of its reform efforts by January, but the regulators took far longer than expected. In June, after California's top health official accused the federal agency of jeopardizing patients' safety by moving too slowly, the agency said it would conduct a surprise review within 90 days.

At that time, Jeff Flick, the Medicare agency's regional administrator, said, "If they are out of compliance, basically the funding stops."

But he said that if the county turned the operation over to an outside provider or sold it, federal funding might be restored.

Lott said that if King/Drew closes, nearby emergency rooms could be overwhelmed and close.

"This will be the linchpin that brings down emergency medical services in that area," he said. "I have no doubt about it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

[email protected]

PDF

Department of Health and Human Services letter
Sep 22, 2006
(Acrobat file)

News | Programming | Entertainment | Station Info | My SoCal Weather | Kids

Traffic | KTLA Jobs | Hi Def | Site Map | Advertise | Contact Us | FSBO | Grocery Coupons

Copyright © 2006 Tribune Interactive
By visiting this site, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.
WEBPOINT ® Entertainment News

I just talked to one of the faculty at Harbor-UCLA and he advised me not to apply to the Drew program:(

Oh, how sad ! What are their plans for med students who are currently in their 3rd year ? :eek: :eek:

Oh, how sad ! What are their plans for med students who are currently in their 3rd year ? :eek: :eek:

Hopefully they will send them to Harbor with the UCLA students. They wouldn't just leave them out in the cold...would they?:confused:

I just talked to one of the faculty at Harbor-UCLA and he advised me not to apply to the Drew program:(

Does he think the program will be disbanded completely ? Usually there are enough hospitals where a program could be run. This is L.a. after all, it's not like it's the only hospital in the city.

What are they telling faculty ? Do they have to find new jobs ?

There were a couple of hospitals in Atlanta that had problems (one was shut down and is now about to re-open) that MSM dealt with. I think all Family Medicine residents were based at Southwest hospital - this hospital shut down completely last year. I believe they set up the program at Grady. Also, Internal Medicine had a rotation at South Fulton and that hospital went bankrupt. Still, it was manageable because it was not their primary hospital.

Does he think the program will be disbanded completely ? Usually there are enough hospitals where a program could be run. This is L.a. after all, it's not like it's the only hospital in the city.

What are they telling faculty ? Do they have to find new jobs ?

There were a couple of hospitals in Atlanta that had problems (one was shut down and is now about to re-open) that MSM dealt with. I think all Family Medicine residents were based at Southwest hospital - this hospital shut down completely last year. I believe they set up the program at Grady. Also, Internal Medicine had a rotation at South Fulton and that hospital went bankrupt. Still, it was manageable because it was not their primary hospital.

I think (only my opinion) that they will have to place the current students at different hospital for their clinical years. Since the entire point of the program is to have students do their clinical training at Drew/King I don't know how this program can continue if the hospital closes. The first two years are done at UCLA...where would the last two years be? If it is with the UCLA students then they would just be UCLA med students. I hope they get funding but I don't think I want to be one of the students stressing what's going to happen next.

I think (only my opinion) that they will have to place the current students at different hospital for their clinical years. Since the entire point of the program is to have students do their clinical training at Drew/King I don't know how this program can continue if the hospital closes. The first two years are done at UCLA...where would the last two years be? If it is with the UCLA students then they would just be UCLA med students. I hope they get funding but I don't think I want to be one of the students stressing what's going to happen next.

I think more importantly that the students need to do their training in an underserved african american area. I understand the history of the hospital and its significance to the area and the idea behind it - not to mention the needs it met in the community. But, they shouldn't be hard pressed to find another hospital - maybe not one with the historical background as Drew, but one that would serve the needs of the community. Too bad it might be inconvenient for folks to get to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think more importantly that the students need to do their training in an underserved african american area. I understand the history of the hospital and its significance to the area and the idea behind it - not to mention the needs it met in the community. But, they shouldn't be hard pressed to find another hospital - maybe not one with the historical background as Drew, but one that would serve the needs of the community. Too bad it might be inconvenient for folks to get to it.

Having spoken to several UCLA and Drew students through the years, this program has been deteriorating for several years...

This was the last straw that broke the camel's back, and I would seriously doubt that the program can continue in its current state.

Like most of you, not going to fill out the secondary.

I am from LA and live 10 min from MLK Hospital and truthfully speaking that hospital is the main one that all of the GSW's, stabbing's, you know the serious stuff go to. There isn't another big hospital in that area. This is really going to hurt my community but I don't think that they will let it happen. It has to stay open otherwise the people of South Central are going to be SOL. :( For real!

I am from LA and live 10 min from MLK Hospital and truthfully speaking that hospital is the main one that all of the GSW's, stabbing's, you know the serious stuff go to. There isn't another big hospital in that area. This is really going to hurt my community but I don't think that they will let it happen. It has to stay open otherwise the people of South Central are going to be SOL. :( For real!

They closed the trauma center like two years back so most people are directed to Harbor-UCLA. I am also in LA and lived near Drew...that hospital needs a lot of work. I am not saying that it should be closed down but that the quality of care is sub-standard to say the least. I am not laying blame on the doctors but rather the administration that have run that hospital into the ground. :mad:

They closed the trauma center like two years back so most people are directed to Harbor-UCLA. I am also in LA and lived near Drew...that hospital needs a lot of work. I am not saying that it should be closed down but that the quality of care is sub-standard to say the least. I am not laying blame on the doctors but rather the administration that have run that hospital into the ground. :mad:

I understand what you are saying. I wasn't coming at you sideways or anything. I am just honestly upset with the fact that they are trying to close it down. That is a long trip from Watts to Harbor-UCLA. Well where exactly is Harbor-UCLA? :confused:

I understand what you are saying. I wasn't coming at you sideways or anything. I am just honestly upset with the fact that they are trying to close it down. That is a long trip from Watts to Harbor-UCLA. Well where exactly is Harbor-UCLA? :confused:

I didn't think you were coming at me sideways. The mad face was for the administrators!

Harbor-UCLA is right off the 110 Carson St. exit in Torrance.

If the community is motivated like they were at Southwest Hospital in Atlanta, maybe they can get it back up and running with some new blood. Maybe we need to write to Tom Joyner and Bill Cosby ????

If the community is motivated like they were at Southwest Hospital in Atlanta, maybe they can get it back up and running with some new blood. Maybe we need to write to Tom Joyner and Bill Cosby ????

I hope the community is motivated enough cuz I really wanted to work their in the future and try to turn some things around. I think we are going to make it happen. At least I pray we will.

I didn't think you were coming at me sideways. The mad face was for the administrators!

Harbor-UCLA is right off the 110 Carson St. exit in Torrance.

Ok, I was just making sure cuz I am trying to make friends and colleagues on here not enemies. I didn't know that's where Harbor-UCLA was. That's not too far from 120th and Willmington.

Ok, I was just making sure cuz I am trying to make friends and colleagues on here not enemies. I didn't know that's where Harbor-UCLA was. That's not too far from 120th and Willmington.

No worries! You have a friend/colleague in me;) Your opinion and perspective is just as valuable as anyone else's. I respect it. I really wanted to work in that hospital as well.

I pray that everything works out. It is just a shame that the community is only reactive and not proactive. That hospital needed complete restructuring many years ago. It is lovingly known as "Killa King". Now that closing down is immenate people want to do something. WE can't let things break all the way down before we start fixing on them.

I am currently an MSI for the Drew/UCLA program. We had a meeting with the dean of the UCLA and Drew medical schools and they are NOT shutting down the school. I encourage you all to apply anyway. Although Drew is affiliated with the hospital, it no way reflects the reputation of this institution. Worse comes to worse, UCLA will put us into their own rotations but all of us have voiced our opinion, saying that it does not meet the terms of our mission. There is still a lot of things in the air but if you want to serve the underserved, apply anyways. Drew is thinking about expanding next year's or the year after's class to double its size. They are also in the works of forming their own medical school. Regardless, the education you receive through this program will NOT be compromised. That's the bottom line.

I am currently an MSI for the Drew/UCLA program. We had a meeting with the dean of the UCLA and Drew medical schools and they are NOT shutting down the school. I encourage you all to apply anyway. Although Drew is affiliated with the hospital, it no way reflects the reputation of this institution. Worse comes to worse, UCLA will put us into their own rotations but all of us have voiced our opinion, saying that it does not meet the terms of our mission. There is still a lot of things in the air but if you want to serve the underserved, apply anyways. Drew is thinking about expanding next year's or the year after's class to double its size. They are also in the works of forming their own medical school. Regardless, the education you receive through this program will NOT be compromised. That's the bottom line.

That pretty much settles it for me. As long as the SCHOOL is not shutting down I will submit my secondary.
Thank you so much for posting medhopeful724!!!

Is Harbor the hospital the MS3 and MS4 will go to if King closes or our there other hospitals being considered?

Thanks for the info !

I just received the secondary a few minutes ago, received the notification about the primary on 8/29... guess i better get to work on it

King/Drew Fails Final U.S. Test

The hospital will lose all federal money by year's end, throwing its fate in doubt. Supervisors will hold an emergency meeting Monday.

By Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber, Times Staff Writers

September 23, 2006

Federal regulators notified Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center late Friday that it had failed what was billed as a "make or break" inspection and would lose annual funding of about $200 million — more than half the hospital's budget — at the end of the year.

The move is likely to force Los Angeles County to close the long-troubled public hospital, give it to someone else to run or turn it into a clinic, as officials have repeatedly acknowledged.

During a lengthy meeting, federal inspectors told King/Drew officials that the hospital still did not meet minimum patient-care standards.

King/Drew has been out of compliance with federal guidelines since January 2004, when it was first cited for serious lapses in care that had injured and killed patients.

During the latest inspection, the hospital failed nine of the government's 23 conditions for federal funding, according to a letter from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services that was hand-delivered Friday to King/Drew's administrator.

Federal regulators identified problems in nursing, pharmacy, infection control, surgical services, rehabilitation services, quality control, patients' rights and the hospital's governing body and physical plant.

In fact, inspectors found more problems in the supposedly reformed King/Drew than they had at any time in the last three years. Some of the life-threatening lapses cited were nearly identical to those found in the past.

For instance, the letter said, "there were no appropriately trained and competent staff, on the 3E unit, assigned to watch the heart monitors of seriously ill patients who required cardiorespiratory monitoring. This is especially troublesome, because previously documented cases showed that patients died when nurses at King/Drew failed to heed heart monitor warnings."

Staff members also admitted to inspectors that they had hit a patient's morphine pump at least five times to deliver additional sedation, even though the device is intended only to be used by patients. The inspectors called this "a very unsafe practice that can lead to over-sedation, respiratory depression or even death," the letter says.

"Termination of the Medicare provider agreement is final," the letter states in underlined text.

It was unclear Friday night whether or how the hospital might continue to operate. The decision means that King/Drew, as currently configured, cannot continue to receive crucial federal funding for Medicare and Medi-Cal patients.

County health officials said their lawyers have called an emergency closed-door meeting of the Board of Supervisors on Monday to discuss the hospital's future. Supervisors could not be reached for comment late Friday.

In a statement, county health officials said they were still analyzing the agency's decision.

"The department is committed to finding ways to provide the community access to essential medical services," said Dr. Bruce Chernof, director of the county Department of Health Services.

The federal government has threatened to pull its funding from King/Drew at least three times before, but it has repeatedly granted reprieves after county officials pledged reforms, including training and disciplinary action for problem employees. In June, the agency said King/Drew would not be given additional chances if it failed a final, top-to-bottom inspection, which was unannounced and took place July 31 to Aug. 10.

The federal action marks a striking failure for the Board of Supervisors, which has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to fix the hospital in the last three years and has been harshly criticized for ignoring King/Drew's mounting problems.

Jim Lott, executive vice president of the Hospital Assn. of Southern California, said the county's only choice now is to hand the hospital "lock, stock and barrel" to a private hospital chain and accede to whatever demands that provider makes.

"They have no choice if they want to keep it going," said Lott, who served as vice chairman of a now-disbanded King/Drew advisory committee. "The county can't afford to come up with $200 million to $300 million to provide King/Drew the money that's going to be lost as a result of this.

"I think the community is going to be absolutely unglued — absolutely unglued — over this," he added.

Federal regulators sent in their own staff this summer to help train King/Drew doctors and nurses in how to pass the final inspection.

Chernof said in June that the hospital was well prepared for the visit. "The staff is really getting to the point where they would welcome the survey," he said at the time. "They've put a lot of energy in this and they're kind of ready to take the final exam."

The 252-bed hospital south of Watts is one of the few sources of acute healthcare for the uninsured in South Los Angeles, most of them African American or Latino. King/Drew has enormous symbolic value as well: It was created to remedy racial inequities in healthcare after the 1965 Watts riots and has long been a source of pride — and jobs — in the community.

King/Drew, the second smallest of the county's four general hospitals, has 2,238 full-time employees and last year treated 11,000 inpatients and 167,000 outpatients.

The hospital has been beset by patient care lapses and other crises almost since it opened in 1972. But the last three years have been its most challenging. The latest crisis began in August 2003 when The Times reported that two women connected to cardiac monitors died after nurses failed to notice their vital signs deteriorating.

Since then, the newspaper and government inspectors have identified case after case in which patients have been harmed or killed because of serious lapses in care. The Medicare agency's inspectors now have visited the hospital 15 times.

In December 2004, The Times ran a five-part series detailing how King/Drew was much more dangerous than the public knew. The newspaper found that, by a variety of measures, King/Drew was among the worst hospitals in the state, and even the nation.

The hospital's failings did not stem from a lack of money, as its supporters long contended. King/Drew spent more per patient than any of the three other general hospitals run by Los Angeles County.

Since the series ran, problems continued at the hospital, including additional patient deaths and timecard abuse by county-employed physicians and those under contract at King/Drew. The Times discovered that Navigant Consulting, the firm that has been paid more than $17 million to overhaul King/Drew, had inflated its own expenses.

In February 2005, the hospital lost its seal of approval from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, another vote of no confidence by medical experts in the hospital's quality.

The county has scrambled to fix problems at the hospital, taking some form of disciplinary action against 650 employees since January 2004, more than a quarter of its staff. More than 250 employees, 41 of them doctors, have been fired or resigned under investigation, according to a Sept. 15 memo from the county Department of Human Resources.

Former county health director Dr. Thomas Garthwaite said Friday that before he left in January, Catholic Healthcare West had expressed interest in taking over King/Drew. The county also discussed turning the hospital into an outpatient clinic under the licensure of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

"I think you've got to be able to pass the [Medicare] and the Joint Commission standards to run a hospital," he said. "Virtually every other hospital in the United States does."

County officials have said repeatedly over the last 2 1/2 years that King/Drew has turned a corner. Each time, when inspectors returned to assess the hospital's progress, they found problems.

In September 2004, the agency entered an unusual contract with the county, giving it a year to overhaul King/Drew's operations under the guidance of a hospital turn-around firm. But that deal expired and federal officials did not renew it.

The county had expected a final top-to-bottom evaluation of its reform efforts by January, but the regulators took far longer than expected. In June, after California's top health official accused the federal agency of jeopardizing patients' safety by moving too slowly, the agency said it would conduct a surprise review within 90 days.

At that time, Jeff Flick, the Medicare agency's regional administrator, said, "If they are out of compliance, basically the funding stops."

But he said that if the county turned the operation over to an outside provider or sold it, federal funding might be restored.

Lott said that if King/Drew closes, nearby emergency rooms could be overwhelmed and close.

"This will be the linchpin that brings down emergency medical services in that area," he said. "I have no doubt about it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

[email protected]

PDF

Department of Health and Human Services letter
Sep 22, 2006
(Acrobat file)

News | Programming | Entertainment | Station Info | My SoCal Weather | Kids

Traffic | KTLA Jobs | Hi Def | Site Map | Advertise | Contact Us | FSBO | Grocery Coupons

Copyright © 2006 Tribune Interactive
By visiting this site, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.
WEBPOINT ® Entertainment News

I dont think copying and pasting the article was necessary.........anyone interested could have clicked on the link.

Are they still conducting interviews?

I heard from several people that attending Drew is "career suicide"......haha they all said that too.

I think what they meant was that if you want a competitive residency or you want an academic/research position later on coming from Drew wont help?

Would you guys pick Drew over other schools? I like the fact that the first two years are at UCLA and I plan to go into IM and plan to go back to my home town, which is a rural community. So i think its fine for me.

Are all of you guys in the same boat? Does Drew really have that bad of a rep? I mean your first two years are at UCLA and then your rotations are at Drew sites, which are in bad areas, but usually bad areas have more exposure to better path cases? Plus you get to do electives whereever.

So why is Drew so bad? IS it so bad?

Anyone have a link to their match list?

I heard from several people that attending Drew is "career suicide"......haha they all said that too.

I think what they meant was that if you want a competitive residency or you want an academic/research position later on coming from Drew wont help?

Would you guys pick Drew over other schools? I like the fact that the first two years are at UCLA and I plan to go into IM and plan to go back to my home town, which is a rural community. So i think its fine for me.

Are all of you guys in the same boat? Does Drew really have that bad of a rep? I mean your first two years are at UCLA and then your rotations are at Drew sites, which are in bad areas, but usually bad areas have more exposure to better path cases? Plus you get to do electives whereever.

So why is Drew so bad? IS it so bad?
I got the career suicide line from several docs when I applied as well. I got in, but went to my current med school instead. The Drew match list actually isnt too shabby. Of course, with a such a small class, its hard to draw conclusions, but people DID match into great specialties.

There are many times I wish I had gone to Drew. I really dont think it is "suicide" to go. After all, if you are consistent with the Drew mission, how could it possibly be career suicide to get hands on training and exposure to a vulnerable population. You should come out the best equipped to work in primary care in an urban setting. Nobody is marketing drew/ucla as a way to get into dermatology at johns hopkins.

Youll just have to decide what is most important to you. By the way, your medical diploma will say UCLA School of Medicine.

I got the career suicide line from several docs when I applied as well. I got in, but went to my current med school instead. The Drew match list actually isnt too shabby. Of course, with a such a small class, its hard to draw conclusions, but people DID match into great specialties.

There are many times I wish I had gone to Drew. I really dont think it is "suicide" to go. After all, if you are consistent with the Drew mission, how could it possibly be career suicide to get hands on training and exposure to a vulnerable population. You should come out the best equipped to work in primary care in an urban setting. Nobody is marketing drew/ucla as a way to get into dermatology at johns hopkins.

Youll just have to decide what is most important to you. By the way, your medical diploma will say UCLA School of Medicine.

Exmike, What did you like about Drew? Why do you sometimes wish that had there over your current school?

exmike, i read some of your old posts for Drew and I'm shocked that you decided to go to case instead. can you tell me what made you change your mind? It can't only be due to the current situation at King/Drew, right?

While it will say UCLA SOM on the diploma, my understanding is that it clearly states that your education is in conjuction with the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science on there. Besides, while future patients may pass you on as a UCLA grad, residencies and folks in the healthcare community certainly know the difference.

exmike, i read some of your old posts for Drew and I'm shocked that you decided to go to case instead. can you tell me what made you change your mind? It can't only be due to the current situation at King/Drew, right?

When I got into drew, thats when the king/drew fiasco started blowing up. As much as I believed in the drew mission and wanted to stay in LA (Home) for medical school, there was also a part of me that handn't ruled out pursuing certin specialities. In the end it came down to options. Case with its oustanding hospitals would give me the best chance at matching at a great specialty if I chose to. This doensn't mean that drew/ucla doesnt give you a good chance, its just that I felt Case would give me a better chance because of its affiliations. At case, I've chosen to do my third year rotations at the county hospital who's population isnt that dissimilar from the king/drew one. In any case the current situation was only part of the reason. I guess for me, the benefits (going to school at home, cheap tuition, the drew mission) was outweighed by the drawbacks (instability of king/drew, arguable hit in competitiveness for specialties). I figured I worked too hard to get into medical school to have a cloud of uncertainty over my head during medical school. I didnt want one more thing to worry about.

And futuredr2011. When you are a practicing doctor. No one in the 'healthcare community' will care where your degree came from. They'll just care that you're a skilled compassionate doctor.

Exmike, What did you like about Drew? Why do you sometimes wish that had there over your current school?

The mission (I have a MPH - public health background - so I was really inspired by the aims of the school), the cheaper tuition (half the price of what I pay now), close to home (I'm from LA), the tight knit class, the collegial atmosphere of the student/faculty interactions.

When I got into drew, thats when the king/drew fiasco started blowing up. As much as I believed in the drew mission and wanted to stay in LA (Home) for medical school, there was also a part of me that handn't ruled out pursuing certin specialities. In the end it came down to options. Case with its oustanding hospitals would give me the best chance at matching at a great specialty if I chose to. This doensn't mean that drew/ucla doesnt give you a good chance, its just that I felt Case would give me a better chance because of its affiliations. At case, I've chosen to do my third year rotations at the county hospital who's population isnt that dissimilar from the king/drew one. In any case the current situation was only part of the reason. I guess for me, the benefits (going to school at home, cheap tuition, the drew mission) was outweighed by the drawbacks (instability of king/drew, arguable hit in competitiveness for specialties). I figured I worked too hard to get into medical school to have a cloud of uncertainty over my head during medical school. I didnt want one more thing to worry about.

And futuredr2011. When you are a practicing doctor. No one in the 'healthcare community' will care where your degree came from. They'll just care that you're a skilled compassionate doctor.

I agree with you 100%. I am not affiliated with Drew or any of the CA schools, but I have friends that go there that tell me about the same things you mentioned e.g. cloud.

i called them asking my status said something about how the head of admissions is out of town and will be making decisions shortly..this was about a little over a week ago

I just got a completion notice at Drew via email. Exmike, thanx for your continuous contributions to this thread. Your reasons are valid ones but nevertheless I'm not the least bit shakened by the current situation at King/Drew. I know that recently JCAHO has taken away the accreditation of King/Drew which is also very disheartening. I might have the opportunity to speak to Dr. Dennis O'Leary (President of JCAHO) this weekend during a meeting with E.R. doctors in Palm Springs (I work for an ER Physicians Partners Group).

Regardless of the situation, any time you have a public hospital that aims to serve the homeless/uninsured/underinsured, you'll run into $$$ problems that branches out and affects both patient and staff. I'm not saying that's the only reason why King/Drew is in this situation. However, I believe it's valuable in itself to be a part of the re-building process of the King/Drew center.

There's a lot for doctors to learn that go beyond the patient, such as hospital administration, but still affect patient care. And it's pretty effective learning from mistakes that come from having a less than perfect health care system.

I just got a completion notice at Drew via email. Exmike, thanx for your continuous contributions to this thread. Your reasons are valid ones but nevertheless I'm not the least bit shakened by the current situation at King/Drew. I know that recently JCAHO has taken away the accreditation of King/Drew which is also very disheartening. I might have the opportunity to speak to Dr. Dennis O'Leary (President of JCAHO) this weekend during a meeting with E.R. doctors in Palm Springs (I work for an ER Physicians Partners Group).

Regardless of the situation, any time you have a public hospital that aims to serve the homeless/uninsured/underinsured, you'll run into $$$ problems that branches out and affects both patient and staff. I'm not saying that's the only reason why King/Drew is in this situation. However, I believe it's valuable in itself to be a part of the re-building process of the King/Drew center.

There's a lot for doctors to learn that go beyond the patient, such as hospital administration, but still affect patient care. And it's pretty effective learning from mistakes that come from having a less than perfect health care system.

When do you receive your secondary and when did you return it?

I was verified 8/15, received the secondary 9/1, mailed the secondary out 10/18, and received a complete email 10/25.

When do you receive your secondary and when did you return it?

hiya,

I received it sometime in August, I sent it 10/17, and I got my complete notice via email on 10/25. They've been pretty quick in my opinion. But we'll just see how fast they are with interview invites.:D