(Chemistry) Research Essay Mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wutwutwut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my MD/PhD application on Thursday but I was in the lab today and I just realized I made a mistake when talking about one of the ligands I just started making.

The exact mistake I made was referring to the ligand I am making as 3,5- diethyl amino Sal AHA when it is really 4-diethyl amino. Even though I proofread my essay a ridiculous number of times, I still missed this sadly. How big of a mistake do you think this is?? Is it going to look like I do not know what research I am doing? Or will they understand that it was a simple mistake? Or do you think will they even notice??

In my defense, I only refer to the ligand once, so it wasn't an error I repeated throughout the essay and also all of the other ligands I made (up until last week) were 3,5- of various groups, which is why I got it confused because I am used to always writing "3,5-et cetera". I know it is still a dumb mistake but do you think ad coms will be merciful haha

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea about the specifics, but my reference class prediction here is that pre-meds (sometimes understandably) worry too much about small things like this, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you have done good research and did well in pre-med classes and the MCAT, you're clearly at least somewhat detailed-oriented and this would be an understandable, small, forgettable mistake. Also, it's not clear how closely these essays are going to be read at every school.

Reactions: 1 user