Huge mistake on AMCAS Research experience reporting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concept2

Reaction score
I just realized I put 14600 hours for my research employment in my activities section. Not sure why I submitted it thinking that was reasonable, turns out it is only 3K+ hours. This has also wrongly inflated the total research experience hours that I filled out.

I submitted that over a month ago and have already gotten all my secondaries and submitted a bunch too.

I plan on sending an update to admissions with the revised hours for all schools, but I'd like to hear from any mstp adcoms about what I should do about this situation. Will this pose a big detriment to my ability to get into a program?

Members don't see this ad.

Well a year of full-time work is roughly 2,000 hours (40 hours/week * ~50 weeks/year), so unless you're non-trad with the years to justify it, somebody is definitely gonna call bs on 14.6k hours and likely figure there's a mistake. They will probably assume negligence/that you accidentally added an extra zero, and will judge you based off of that.

My two cents is that in your case, updating schools will likely be beneficial because your true hours (3k+) is greater than what they will assume you meant (1.46k). That'll provide more accurate info that they can use to evaluate you. Updating also helps you get ahead of things juuust in case dishonesty crosses anyone's mind. Human error is generally forgivable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users