Chicago area clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are the Chicago area clerkships held?

How is life in Chicago?

I'm interested in peds and want to do my clerkships somewhere there is a quality children's medical center.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited June 22, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

I know of two good children's hospital in the Chicago area, one by reputation and one by first hand experience. First, there's Children's Memorial in Chicago proper. I have not done a rotation there so cannot comment on it really. Worth checking out for yourself. The second hospital is Hope Children's Hospital in Oak Lawn, IL, suburb of Chicago. It is part of Christ Hospital which also has a very good reputation. I did my Peds rotation at Hope and thought it a great program. Good didactics given by the attendings who enjoy teaching. The case load is good. The doctor in charge of the day to day education of the externs, interns, and residents is fantastic!!! If I were interested in going into peds, I would definately apply to Hope Children's Hospital. There are several graduates of CCOM there now.

OMD,

If you aren't opposed to Kansas City, I would HIGHLY recommend Children's Mercy Hospital. I spent a year working in their ER, and it was the best working experience of my life. It is the most patient-friendly hospital which I have ever worked in/experienced. The technology blew away that at other KC hospitals, and staff was genuinely concerned about the patients. I actually worked with a KCOM 4th year that was rotating through Mercy last year. He was a huge Cranial Manipulation fan. That's all I remember, other than that I was very impressed with his ability and knowledge compared with those of other Med Students.

KCOM impressed me greatly. Except for one thing, I'd probably be there with you. As it is, I chose AZCOM, but I wish you the best of luck staying warm in North Central MO.

Kansas City is GREAT! In fact, I used to work with one of the PICU attendings [when he was a fellow] when I was resp therapist at Ark Children's. I had heard that Mercy was an excellent place...I'll be certain to follow up on the place. I don't believe that KC is a full 3rd & 4th year clerkship rotation site; but if you met a KCOM 4th year there...then at least some time is an option. I have family there so an away rotation would be no problem.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03