Child Psychiatry 2018-2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noodles198709

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year again.

How are my fellow CAP applicants doing this summer!
Any programs/cities you're looking forward to (hopefully) interviewing at?
Anything interesting updates regarding the programs you're looking into?

I just submitted my application yesterday. MSPE and med. school transcripts just uploaded. All that's left are LORs.

Time for the waiting game.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted a few days ago but still waiting on a LOR to be processed :clown:
I’m applying all northeast. I only applied to 10 & I hope that’s enough...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm applying in California and the Northeast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to 5 programs, good luck to everyone!

Same here! Applied, mainly focusing on west coast. Some programs started sending that "we got your application and reviewing it" notices already. I thought just going onto ERAS was the worst part but the wait is even more terrifying.
Nothing to do now but to complete a few docs and wait..... Good Luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm applying in California and the Northeast.
No prob.

I applied to California, Chicago, and various East Coast areas.

One program just asked for my LoRs today. Well.. about that..

I'm wondering the best way to get info about some of the more subjective aspects of programs before flying there to interview (quality of training/teaching, happiness of fellows, therapy training, etc)? There are a few big names that keep coming up, but beyond those it's hard to tell much about each program. For instance, my adviser (not a child psychiatrist but def knowledgeable about things) was telling me I should add Vanderbilt and Duke to my list but when I did a board search I couldn't find anything good or bad about those programs.

Thanks!

I'm wondering the best way to get info about some of the more subjective aspects of programs before flying there to interview (quality of training/teaching, happiness of fellows, therapy training, etc)? There are a few big names that keep coming up, but beyond those it's hard to tell much about each program. For instance, my adviser (not a child psychiatrist but def knowledgeable about things) was telling me I should add Vanderbilt and Duke to my list but when I did a board search I couldn't find anything good or bad about those programs.

Thanks!
May be try searching in here. I have seen a few links but only describing the residency program and not CAP fellowship. But his might give you an insight. Also we can check in here may be someone knows the program you are inquiring about.

So are fellowship interview questions similar to residency ones? Any idea what are we gonna be asked or how to prepare?

Same here! Applied, mainly focusing on west coast. Some programs started sending that "we got your application and reviewing it" notices already. I thought just going onto ERAS was the worst part but the wait is even more terrifying.
Nothing to do now but to complete a few docs and wait..... Good Luck everyone.

I got the first of these emails and for a split second I was SUPER excited... then i read the rest of it.

Thanks for starting the post!
Quick question.. I have 3 LOR's (including 1 from PD), uploaded and processed by EFDO (today!).
Should I wait until the fourth LOR to be uploaded, or upload them all as they trickle in? I know some programs will consider three LOR's as complete and some require four.. So my worry is that those requiring three letters will just start downloading and reviewing my application without the 4th guy's letter. Any thoughts?

Thanks for starting the post!
Quick question.. I have 3 LOR's (including 1 from PD), uploaded and processed by EFDO (today!).
Should I wait until the fourth LOR to be uploaded, or upload them all as they trickle in? I know some programs will consider three LOR's as complete and some require four.. So my worry is that those requiring three letters will just start downloading and reviewing my application without the 4th guy's letter. Any thoughts?
The three will probably get you your interviews anyway, even at the 4-letter programs.
If a program is going to insist on 4, I guess they'll wait until they see what they want..

KillCancer, there's another recent thread "how late for child fellowship applications?" that suggests that you should just submit it as is. I would do so unless you're confident that the person will be submitting the LOR within the next few days. I doubt that they wouldn't interview you for missing one LOR since I think a lot of people have at least one straggler LOR.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck guys. Child Psychiatry is getting less competitive so I would not apply to too many programs unless you have several red flags. If I recall, last year there were a lot of unmatched positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes! I feel so far behind haha... just finished my personal statement and hoping to get my app submitted by the end of this week! Hopefully this is not too late. I am only applying to 5 programs in/near my city.

It's that time of the year again.

How are my fellow CAP applicants doing this summer!
Any programs/cities you're looking forward to (hopefully) interviewing at?
Anything interesting updates regarding the programs you're looking into?

I just submitted my application yesterday. MSPE and med. school transcripts just uploaded. All that's left are LORs.

Time for the waiting game.
On an unrelated note OP, I looooooove gudetama. If you ever get the chance go to one of their cafes in Japan. The food is surprisingly top-notch for a character cafe.

Hey guys! I just started working on my application and hoping to apply by the second week of August. Wondering if that would be too late :/ :(

Thanks for starting the thread noodles198709. Submitted my application last week! Looks like on last years thread they started getting interview invites end of July/early August through September.

Last edited:
Also...wondering for Dean's Letter, can we use the one we used for residency or do we necessarily have to get a new one.

Also...wondering for Dean's Letter, can we use the one we used for residency or do we necessarily have to get a new one.

I just asked my medical school to upload the MSPE, and it was acceptable for the fellowship application.

Hey guys! I just started working on my application and hoping to apply by the second week of August. Wondering if that would be too late :/ :(

The application process is easier than for residency, as most of the application gets re-uploaded.
PS is the most time-consuming part... at least it was for me. If your PS is completed, it'll just take a weekend to update your application. I think you'll get it done by the beginning of August.
Also, keep in mind the LOR's took 3d for EFDO to release, AFTER they were uploaded by my attendings...

The application process is easier than for residency, as most of the application gets re-uploaded.
PS is the most time-consuming part... at least it was for me. If your PS is completed, it'll just take a weekend to update your application. I think you'll get it done by the beginning of August.
Also, keep in mind the LOR's took 3d for EFDO to release, AFTER they were uploaded by my attendings...

Yup! I thought LOR will be the only hassle in this process but PS was even worse. I was under the impression it is done until the application time approached and found myself rewriting it over and over again. Start PS early while waiting for LOR to get uploaded.

For those applying to CA. According to older threads they send invites late-Mid August-Early Sept. I think they are still going with older fellowship timeline. I only got a "we have your application ;)" from 1 program in CA so far. Any insight?

For those applying to CA. According to older threads they send invites late-Mid August-Early Sept. I think they are still going with older fellowship timeline. I only got a "we have your application ;)" from 1 program in CA so far. Any insight?

Looks like on last year's thread some applicants reported getting their first invites as early as end of July or early August. I have only gotten the 1 "we have your application" e-mail as well. I also got one "we need your training verification form" e-mail.

Link to last year's forum: Child Psychiatry 2017-2018 Cycle

Last edited:
Looks like on last year's thread some applicants reported getting their first invites as early as end of July or early August. I have only gotten the 1 "we have your application" e-mail as well. I also got one "we need your training verification form" e-mail.

Link to last year's forum: Child Psychiatry 2017-2018 Cycle
Yeah, that was the one I am referring to. Guess it is a little bit slower on the west side! Will see how it goes. I got that notification from UC Davis only in CA nothing else. If you don't mind can you please share which programs replied form CA?
I am aiming on CA but applied for a few other programs and Texas are on fire though with their application received confirmation emails.

Yeah, that was the one I am referring to. Guess it is a little bit slower on the west side! Will see how it goes. I got that notification from UC Davis only in CA nothing else. If you don't mind can you please share which programs replied form CA?
I am aiming on CA but applied for a few other programs and Texas are on fire though with their application received confirmation emails.

I am not applying to any programs in CA, the e-mail was from NY program. Applying to WA, OR, and then East Coast programs.

I’ve only received the “we’ve received your application” message from 1 of my programs :-(

Does anyone know how to check whether your application has been downloaded?

Does anyone know how to check whether your application has been downloaded?

Not aware of any electronic way to see if your application has been downloaded. You can edit your PS even after they do so, so we have no way of knowing it unless we email them and ask..

Hey Folks,
Anyone have any insight into Child Milwaukee and Madison Programs?

First interviews at Cleveland Clinic and U Maryland. Good luck to everyone! :)

Got an interview at University of Buffalo :) anyone knows about the program? PD called over the phone, seems like a great guy!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on interviews. There is an interview tab on applicants' ERAS page. I called ERAS and they said that we are supposed to see interview invites there and they have to be added by programs not applicants. Called the program and they had no idea it existed or how to add it on there. I was wondering if anyone can see their IV on there? Or any insight if this is crucial to confirm appointment?

Good luck to you as well! I'm assuming you have everything turned in right? Did you upload three LORs or four LORs?

Yeah I nearly stalked my letter writers to get them in last week. I went with 4 since some programs I applied to asked for that amount.

Got an interview at University of Buffalo :) anyone knows about the program? PD called over the phone, seems like a great guy!

Nice, congrats! They must’ve gotten a new fellowship director in the past couple years. It was a woman when I interviewed for the child track for residency. They have a good program with really nice training sites, especially the state hospital for children which provides a lot of experience. I think they built a new women’s and children hospital too. Buffalo is a cool city, low-cost of living with plenty to do!

Congrats on interviews. There is an interview tab on applicants' ERAS page. I called ERAS and they said that we are supposed to see interview invites there and they have to be added by programs not applicants. Called the program and they had no idea it existed or how to add it on there. I was wondering if anyone can see their IV on there? Or any insight if this is crucial to confirm appointment?

Hm, now that you mention it, I see the IV tab.
I agree. I wonder if those confirming for first interviews on this thread could check the IV area for feedback?

How long does the USMLE transcripts take to upload to ERAS?

This depends on your medical school coordinator/secretary. Mine got it in in 2d with a smile and cookies (my residency program is affiliated with my med school and I just walked over to the next building). And EFDO uploaded my 4th LOR today after 1d.

First interview at University of Colorado! We should hear from more programs in August. I wish everyone luck as we chase our dream.

Reactions: 4 users
Because I'm bored on call.... :p

Please copy this bit and add to this post. Please list your invites alphabetically (by state) and the date that you received it etc etc.

Colorado

University of Colorado – yellow_bird (7/27)

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic - PsychEDoutB52 (7/26)

Maryland
University of Maryland - PsychEDoutB52 (7/26)

New York
University of Buffalo – vdisla (7/26)

California
UC Davis SpacemanSpiff28 (07/24)

Colorado

University of Colorado – yellow_bird (7/27), SpacemanSpiff (07/26)

Hawaii
University of Hawaii SpacemanSpiff (07/24)

Ohio

Maryland
University of Maryland - PsychEDoutB52 (7/26)

Missouri
Washington University in St. Louis SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23)

New York
University of Buffalo – vdisla (7/26)
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23)

Texas
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23)

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin SpacemanSpiff28 (07/24)

Please copy this bit and add to this post. Please list your invites alphabetically (by state) and the date that you received it etc etc.

California

UC Davis - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/24), chasingcognition (8/1)

Colorado

University of Colorado - yellow_bird (7/27), SpacemanSpiff (07/26), chasingcognition (7/30)

Florida
University of Florida - chasingcognition (8/1)

Hawaii
University of Hawaii - SpacemanSpiff (07/24)

Ohio

Maryland
University of Maryland - PsychEDoutB52 (7/26), chasingcognition (7/31)

Missouri
Washington University in St. Louis - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23)

New York
University of Buffalo - vdisla (7/26)
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23)

Texas
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23)

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/24)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering why I wasn’t getting many interviews.. turns out the secretary didn’t send out the training verification form.:bear: I made sure she sent it....

Finally sent in my apps this week... eep :eek:

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering why I wasn’t getting many interviews.. turns out the secretary didn’t send out the training verification form.:bear: I made sure she sent it....

From what I recall, that was also someone's issue in last year's CAP cycle thread. Glad you caught yours early.

California

Colorado

University of Colorado - yellow_bird (7/27), SpacemanSpiff (07/26), chasingcognition (7/30)

Florida
University of Florida - chasingcognition (8/1), vdisla (7/31)

Hawaii

Ohio

Maryland

Missouri

New York
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23), vdisla (07/26)

Texas

Wisconsin

California

Colorado

Florida

Hawaii

Ohio

Maryland

Missouri

New York
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23), vdisla (07/26)

Texas

Washington
University of Washington - chasingcognition (8/2)

Wisconsin

---
Offhand, I am excited for University of Washington. I did not know whether an invite would come this time around, since there was no invite last time for residency.

California

Colorado

Florida

Hawaii

Ohio

Maryland

Massachusetss
Boston Children's - pisekar (8/2)

Missouri

New York

Texas

Washington

Wisconsin

---

California

Colorado

University of Colorado - yellow_bird (7/26), SpacemanSpiff (07/26), chasingcognition (7/30)

Florida

Hawaii

Ohio

Maryland

Massachusetss
Boston Children's - pisekar (8/2), yellow_bird (8/2)

Missouri

New York
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell - SpacemanSpiff28 (07/23), yellow_bird (8/2), vdisla (07/26)

Texas

Washington

Wisconsin