Child Psychiatry 2019-2020 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent emails of interests to a few programs and haven’t heard anything back. Starting to feel rejected haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, seems that we all are in the same boat. How many days can you all take off within the PGY year? If I ran out of PTO I will have to take non-paid leave. Not that I am planning to, but I might have leave early ( 1 or 2 weeks before the end of the year) depending on where I match!
Yep, this is what I plan to do, take non-paid leave if needed. Some programs have orientation at the end of June (MGH for example).

I have a question aside from interviews. If a PGY4 resident has to take medical leave that might delay graduation. Can their CAP training count towards their adult boards so as to prevent delay in graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
A certain amount of CAP training (i.e. no more than 20% of outpatient, no more than 1 month of neurology) can be double counted towards boards... but since you are doing a whole extra year of adult over what is required by not fast tracking, unless your program is really, really sneaky and won't let you do certain requirements that can only be done in adult training and the CAP program refuses to let you make them up during fellowship... You should be able to miss all of PGY4 and be fine.

Hello All,

Any opinions/comparisons of MGH/Boston Children's? In terms of workload, call, reputation, etc?

Alabama
University of Alabama - Rittaa17 (9/17)

Arizona
University of Arizona (Phoenix) - Psychosomatic123 (7/24)

California
UCLA(Kern) - Brinkley (7/25)
Kaiser Fontana - Brinkley (7/31), Psychosomatic123 (8/8)
Stanford - HammerofThorazine (8/14), mdos (8/14), kaysisiel (8/14) Mindful Child (9/6)
UCSF - duderino (8/23), kaysisiel (8/23), Mindful Child (8/23)
UCLA Semel - kaysisiel (8/21)
UCLA Harbor - kaysisiel (8/28)
UCI- mdos(8/27), Psychosomatic123 (8/23)

Colorado
U Colorado - BabyPsych (7/25), Mindful Child (9/20)

Connecticut:
Yale: mdos (8/5), HammerofThorazine (7/22), sassquatch (8/16) duderino (8/16) Mindful (Child 8/19), kaysisiel (8/16)

District of Columbia
MedStar/Georgetown University Hospital - Destined2BDr (8/13) Mindful Child (8/15)
Children's National/GW-Adolescent Psych (8/12), Psychosomatic123 (9/9)

Georgia
Emory - Rittaa17 (8/26)
Medical College of Georgia - Rittaa17 (8/27)
Morehouse SOM - Rittaa17 (7/23)

Hawaii:
university of Hawaii: mdos (8/2)

Illinois:
McGaw/Northwestern/Lurie Children's - Sportissimo (8/6), sassquatch (8/6), AdolescentPsych (8/14)
University of Chicago-AdolescentPsych (7/29)
UIC-AdolescentPsych (8/2)

Maryland
University of Maryland - Brinkley (7/25), BabyPsych (7/23), Psychosomatic123 (7/23), Destined2BDr (7/29) duderino (7/23)

Massachusetts
Boston Children's Hospital - sportissimo (7/25), Psychosomatic123 (7/25), sassquatch (7/25), mdos (7/26), Clozapine (7/25), HammerofThorazine (7/25) duderino (7/25), AdolescentPsych (7/25)
TUFTS- Clozapine (8/13), Psychosomatic123 (8/27)
MGH/McLean - HammerofThorazine (8/7), kaysisiel (8/7) Mindful Child (9/1)
CHA - HammerofThorazine (8/21) Mindful Child (8/28), Psychosomatic (8/28)

Minnesota
Mayo Clinic - Psychosomatic123 (8/12)

Missouri
Washington University St. Louis - sportissimo (8/5), Psychosomatic123 (8/5)

New Hampshire
Dartmouth-Hitchcock - Psychosomatic (7/30), Clozapine (7/30), HammerofThorazine (7/30)

New Mexico
University of New Mexico - Brinkley (7/25), mods (8/26)

New Jersey
Jersey Shore University Medical Center - Brinkley (7/16), Psychosomatic123 (8/9)

New York
NYP Columbia-Cornell - sassquatch (7/23), AdolescentPsych (8/22)
Hofstra - Brinkley (7/25) duderino (7/24)
Montefiore - duderino (7/24)
NYU - sassquatch (8/26),
Sinai - sassquatch (8/24), duderino (8/24), AdolescentPsych (8/24)

Ohio
Cincinnati Children's - BabyPsych (7/16)
Cleveland Clinic - Psychosomatic123 (7/19)

Oregon
OSHU - Mindful Child (8/12)

Pennsylvania
CHOP - sassquatch (8/16) duderino (8/16), Psychosomatic123 (8/16)
Penn State: mdos (7/29)

Rhode Island
Brown University - Destined2BDr (7/25), BabyPsych (7/23), kball12 (7/26), sassquatch (7/25) duderino (7/25) Mindful Child (8/5),

Texas
UT Austin - Psychosomatic123 (7/19)
Baylor - Psychosomatic123 (8/2)

South Carolina
Greenville Health - Rittaa17 (8/20)
MUSC - BabyPsych (7/23)
Prisma Health in Colombia - Rittaa17 (7/22)

Vermont
University of Vermont - Psychosomatic123 (8/1), Mindful Child (8/26)

Virginia
Carilion Clinic - BabyPsych (7/19)
University of Virginia - Brinkley (7/26)

Washington
University of Washington - Mindful Child (8/13)

Hello All,

Any opinions/comparisons of MGH/Boston Children's? In terms of workload, call, reputation, etc?

In terms of workload MGH/McLean might be a bit higher. The structure is very different -- at MGH you are encouraged to build your own weekly schedule, supervisions, seeing pts, etc, whereas at BCH everything is set for you.

Call is home call at both places. MGH covers 3 sites on call at the same time, MGH, McLean, as well as Franciscans and they are spread on different sides of the city and can take you 30-45 min to get from each other. BCH just has 1 hospital. You'll have to look at the brochures to get the exact call hours for the 2020-2021 academic year as both programs are looking into changing things I believe.

Reputation-wise, historically MGH has been more selective (as they are known as "Man's Greatest Hospital" ;), the OG harvard teaching hospital etc etc) but BCH is also becoming more selective given program improvements in the past 2 years. Also BCH has been ranked #1 childrens hospital if that matters to you.

Both good programs, but the cultures are very different so YMMV based on individual fit. To paint very broad strokes, people at MGH seem to take pride in the traditions and histories of the institution and wear the MGH badge with pride. BCH is more laid-back and lighthearted given that it's a children's hospital.

Anyone have a gauge on how competitive this year is compared to previous years?

I've had at least one program coordinator on the interview trail tell me they have received a record high amount of applications this year. Would be interested to know if anyone else had heard similar news?

Yeah man—it’s a competitive year I can tell by the way I have been grilled at certain places.

Anyone have a gauge on how competitive this year is compared to previous years?

I've had at least one program coordinator on the interview trail tell me they have received a record high amount of applications this year. Would be interested to know if anyone else had heard similar news?

Interesting. I wonder if it's going to be a trend or just this year.

Does anyone know how competitive it is at University of Maryland? Is it one of the popular programs?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with applying to/interviewing at programs that are not participating in the MATCH? I've applied to a few programs through ERAS, but have been in contact with a program that has decided to fill their last spot via outside interviews. My number 1 program is participating in ERAS and I don't want to miss that opportunity even though the program outside ERAS is my number 2. Do programs outside of ERAS typically offer their spots after the MATCH or before? Just trying to decide how to navigate this. Any information would be helpful, thanks!

I've heard of some friends getting contracts already at places offering prematch. I would think that the goal would be to fill ASAP if you weren't participating in the match. FYI I think all programs obtain their applications using ERAS but some elect not to participate in the Match. Just to point out a small terminology distinction.

UCLA-Kern is requiring credit checks and will be considering credit when ranking for the match. I find that to be a bit invasive. What are everyone else's thoughts? I mean, is credit correlated with patient outcomes?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA-Kern is requiring credit checks and will be considering credit when ranking for the match. I find that to be a bit invasive. What are everyone else's thoughts? I mean, is credit correlated with patient outcomes?
I'm sure it is all about where the money comes from. If these fellows are government employees, there can be all kinds of crazy hoops. I'm sure this isn't driven by a PD's idea of a good idea.

I'm not sure that this is legal in California. I would consider contacting a lawyer and/or reporting this anonymously to determine your rights. I'm not sure if the match bans locally illegal hiring processes, but if so this may be a violation. I can't absolutely tell based on the information available and am not a lawyer.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the solnit track vs. traditional track at the CAP fellowship at Yale?

anyone know about work life balance/call schedule in NYC programs like columbia/cornell or NYU?
deciding whether I can go or not

I heard Columbia isn’t bad but NYU is rough , one of the toughest in the country. The other NYC programs like Westchester, downstate, or Elmhurst I heard are completely doable.

Pretty sure all interview invites are done by now! Hope everyone is having a great interview season so far!

I’m personally exhausted from the traveling

Reactions: 1 user
I heard Columbia isn’t bad but NYU is rough , one of the toughest in the country. The other NYC programs like Westchester, downstate, or Elmhurst I heard are completely doable.

Looking at NYC amongst other places. Columbia seems pretty good, NYU is just rough, didn't have great vibes, not sure how is that for learning. You missed Mount Sinai (St Luke), which is also pretty busy but residents seem more satisfied with the program. Zucker Hillside is in the suburbs if that's what one is looking for, seems a pretty doable program with good lifestyle.

Last edited:
Pretty sure all interview invites are done by now! Hope everyone is having a great interview season so far!

I’m personally exhausted from the traveling

Don't worry, it gets a lot worse once you are an attending and needing to take time off to interview for jobs in a different city... :mad:. Also, it'll definitely be worth it in this case to land a great spot for 2 years. CAP fellowship will likely blow away adult residency.

Anyone getting interest emails from programs? I’m hearing that some candidates are, and I’m wondering if it’s worth “wasting” a spot on my rank list with a program that appears to have minimal interest in me anyway.

Thoughts?

Anyone getting interest emails from programs? I’m hearing that some candidates are, and I’m wondering if it’s worth “wasting” a spot on my rank list with a program that appears to have minimal interest in me anyway.

Thoughts?

I haven't received any out of the blue. I did get a few responses to thank you emails sent a day after interview, but I don't know how much to read into that...

Thoughts?

You must not understand the match algorithm. If a program doesn't rank you, it hurts nothing but your ego if you rank them first. You literally have nothing to lose by ranking a program, you can't "waste" a slot and you already paid to apply to the program.

As everyone says, plenty of people match to programs that never flirted with them. If you want it, rank it where you want it. If they want you, they'll rank you.

Reactions: 2 users
Very silly question, but do we use the same NRMP ID that we used for the residency match?

Very silly question, but do we use the same NRMP ID that we used for the residency match?

When I went to sign up on the website I tried making a new account because I have a new email address and it found my old one, then linked everything. All that to say I believe it does use the same NRMP ID.

might be a silly question, but after we certify our list nothing else has to be done right? (GTG for the match?)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I have a last minute question. Any views on Brown vs CHA vs Boston Children’s. Especially in terms of training, workload and faculty.

Best of luck for the match!

3 weeks !!!! This is going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life!!

Best of luck everyone!

Less than a week!! Best of luck!!
I am having intermittent tachycardia.. :rolleyes:

3 weeks !!!! This is going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life!!

Best of luck everyone!

Not to devalue a significantly important cornerstone in your life but isn`t it that the residency match is more competitive compared CAP fellowship considering many programs go unfilled in CAP fellowship. Having said that I wish you best of luck and hope you would match your top choice

did anyone end up getting flirty vibes from the programs?

Matched my #1, which seemed to be a reach! I hope everyone else is celebrating!

Matched to my #1 as well!! I am so happy. Hope you all got what you wanted!

Matched in the middle of my match list. Am so happy with it!

Just curious, how did programs do filling? Everyone predicted a more competitive year this year. Was curious if that was the case?

Matched at my #1 too, so excited!

Yeah I’m curious as well - anyone hear of any stats on programs not filling?

There's a report tab when you're logged in. Looks like: 118 programs and 360 spots. 62.3% of programs filled. 82.2% of spots filled. 94.6% of applications matched.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

With a 95% match rate— it doesn’t seem like this year was very competitive. About half the programs did not fill this year.

Last edited:
Welcome new friends and colleagues! :clap:

Matched at my #1 and I feel so grateful! I can't wait to start and join this wonderful field!

Hmmm. I wonder why?

1) peds everything is less competitive than adult version
2) some gen trained people see adolescents without the fellowship and no one stops them
3) after 3 years of residency, doing 1 more easy year vs. 2 more medium years, with only modest potential pay increase in some settings, people choose the easy path
4) very, very few people enter psych dead set on working with kids to the point where they'd do CAP only if it was an option or would rather do peds than practice adult psych only, so when push comes to shove with #3, many people take the early payday with less work.
5) many people don't like working through difficult families or getting lots of collateral

And if you think that CAP isn't competitive... Look at the CL match... 41% of programs and 60-something% of slots filled..