Choosing a Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjbio91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first thread ever. I have been accepted to 3 medical schools so far for the entry class of 2017

University of Vermont

University of Wisconsin

University of California - Riverside

I live in Riveside, CA, a few miles away from UCR. Out of these medical schools which one would you attend and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, this is my first thread ever. I have been accepted to 3 medical schools so far for the entry class of 2017

University of Vermont

University of Wisconsin

I live in Riveside, CA, a few miles away from UCR. Out of these medical schools which one would you attend and why?
Welcome! And you got this all wrong you should be telling us the pros and cons for each school. We cannot make a decision like that for you. This question is similar to which partner you're going to pick to be with. They are pros and cons to each individual that you need to weigh first then after that the decision us heavily influenced by gut feeling and personal preferences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you will save money by staying in-state rather than picking up and moving all the way to the other side of the country, and assuming that you have a support system of friends and family in California, I would go to UCR.

Reactions: 1 users

University of Vermont

University of Wisconsin

Go to U WI. Easy choice.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you value? Do you want to go away or stay home? Is cost a top priority; have you received money from any of the schools to narrow it down?

If you have no preference about any of it, I'd say leave since you've been in the same town forever and don't necessarily need the familial support.

I have been accepted to 3 medical schools so far for the entry class of 2017

University of Vermont
University of Wisconsin

The one with the least expensive cost of attendance (including transportation costs). Because I am debt-averse.

Reactions: 6 users
UVM is absolutely amazing, but OOS it's incredibly expensive and impossible to become in-state... so if money is at all a concern that's definitely something to consider. Good luck with your choice!!

1. What is the tuition of each?

2. Researach opportunities at each?

3. P/F first two years?

4. How are the clinical years?

5. Have they matched any students into a specialty you are thinking about?

6. Cost of living at each school?

Answer these and we can help you more.

University of Vermont

University of Wisconsin

But based on your post, I would personally pick UCR. You can stay at home and go to school minimizing your COA. Plus Warm weather > cold weather always

Last edited:
UCR. Why OOS and more tuition schools vs a school right across the street? It's your choice. I agree with Astra, especially on the specialty part. If you know someone from one of the medical schools who haven't matched the specialty you're looking for, then I'd personally try for another school.

Plus Warm weather > cold weather always

Common misconception with California weather. I live in California. The weather here tends to be completely random. One day it's freezing cold, the next blistering hot.

Common misconception with California weather. I live in California. The weather here tends to be completely random. One day it's freezing cold, the next blistering hot.

I get that but I am 100% sure its warmer on average than Vermont or Wisconsin

Reactions: 8 users

Everything is relative man. Random freezing cold day might be 30-40 degrees during the "winter season", while anywhere in the NE or midwest, that would practically feel like summer during January or February. *source: my life right now vs my life living in CA

Members don't see this ad :)
This is easy: Mexican food, vs anything cheese related, vs maple syrup and New England fall foliage.

UW is a research powerhouse, at least in my field and a few others.

But what are you looking for? Research? Clinical training? Staying close to home? Community? Skiing? Cost of living? Avoiding furnace-like summers? Or avoiding winters that will kill you?

Ask five people, you're going to get six different answers.

EDIT: and congrats on the accepts!!!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::banana::biglove::biglove::biglove:

University of Vermont

University of Wisconsin

Reactions: 3 users
Bro it's my first post, don't know how to SDN works

Welcome! And you got this all wrong you should be telling us the pros and cons for each school. We cannot make a decision like that for you. This question is similar to which partner you're going to pick to be with. They are pros and cons to each individual that you need to weigh first then after that the decision us heavily influenced by gut feeling and personal preferences.

With all due respect, I wasn't asking to make the decision for me. How irrational to think that I would let strangers make such a life changing decision. My question was easy to read and straight-forward: "which one of these schools would YOU attend and why?"

This is easy: Mexican food, vs anything cheese related, vs maple syrup and New England fall foliage.

UW is a research powerhouse, at least in my field and a few others.

But what are you looking for? Research? Clinical training? Staying close to home? Community? Skiing? Cost of living? Avoiding furnace-like summers? Or avoiding winters that will kill you?

Ask five people, you're going to get six different answers.

EDIT: and congrats on the accepts!!!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::banana::biglove::biglove::biglove:
Thank you Goro and the others that have provided a constructive opinion, I really appreciate it!

I suppose I'm looking for the overall package, undoubtedly all these schools are accredited by the LCME and can provide a sound medical education. Additionally, it's up to the student to create his own experience, what you put into it is what you'll get out.

I certainly was not expecting this much success, and I'm grateful for this dilemma. To provide some background information about myself: I'm a Nicaraguan immigrant from single parent household, came to this country at age 13-14, learned English from scratch, lived mostly in the area surrounding area to LAX. My family is historically financially poor and we have struggled alot. Attended community college for financial issues and attended UCR because I've always wanted to become a doctor, so I thought knowing how competitive this process is I would help myself by going to UCR and being a Haider applicant (basically they consider in a separate applicant pool if you study at least your last 2 years at UCR). I moved my family after I graduated from UCR due to lower cost of living and to solidify ties to the Inland Empire, which is very important to UCRSOM. My plan proved successful.

I am a first-time applicant and have no ties to the OOS institutions that I had the privilege to be part of the interview/acceptance process.
As of yet, I have not been offered any kind of financial support from any of the institutions, and I actually have no idea how to go about that.

Now to give my pros/con list

U of Vermont - GORGEOUS SCHOOL!! The medical center looks like a 5 star hotel. Well-established program with great match list, it seems that it is a hidden gem. Burlington is quite a charming little town. However, I concur that as an OOS it is truly expensive! tuition is over 60,000 with very high cost of living. Cold winter and being away from family and loved ones.

U of Wisc - IMPRESSIVE - I can see why UWisc is a top tier program, the size and amount of resources of the complex is really impressive, and I'm really humbled to be considered to be part of this institution. I'm not even worried about the residency opportunities/match list/ research opportunities/public health projects at this school, given the strength of the program. The tuition even for OOS is around 43,000 with reasonable cost of living and madison seems to be a very charming big-little city. I guess the biggest bad factor for me is the intensely cold winter that I was warned by IS applicants on my interview day. Of course include being away from family and loved ones.

UCR - CLOSE TO HOME - I live miles away from UCR with my family,so cost of living would be minimized. IS tuition for UCR is around 38,000, I'll be with family for that extra emotional support, and the weather is objectively better here than midwest and new england. With that being said, UCR is a baby, not very well ranked, does not have as much resources as the other schools, does not have a teaching hospital, does not have any sort of results regarding match lists because they haven't graduated a class yet as far as I know. In other words the strengths of UCR are conversely the weaknesses at other institutions and vice versa.

I have also interviewed at Albert Einstein. I'm not having that decision until February. The school was great, but I didn't really like NYC.

I also have an interview at USC in January. Interviews are honestly a piece of cake, I'm not nervous at all, but anything is possible.

That's all I have for now, any further input or opinion that is constructive is greatly appreciated

Sincerely,

JJ

Last edited:
No worries, I'm used to haters, but thank you for backing me up
I just have a 0 tolerance policy for people taking time out of their day to be negative to someone. If I see something, I voice it! This is true for my daily life as well.

If money is an issue, then I suggest UCR but you've lived in Riverside all your life - makes sense

I just have a 0 tolerance policy for people taking time out of their day to be negative to someone. If I see something, I voice it! This is true for my daily life as well.

If money is an issue, then I suggest UCR but you've lived in Riverside all your life - makes sense
I really appreciate it, I don't even know that person, I hope medical school changes him/her for the better and becomes a more compassionate physician.

I actually haven't lived in Riverside all my life. I lived in Nicaragua for 13 years, Florida 1 year, LAX/South Bay Area 8 years, and Riverside area 3 years. And I agree that financially, UCR is the smartest choice.

I really appreciate it, I don't even know that person, I hope medical school changes him/her for the better and becomes a more compassionate physician.

I actually haven't lived in Riverside all my life. I lived in Nicaragua for 13 years, Florida 1 year, LAX/South Bay Area 8 years, and Riverside area 3 years. And I agree that financially, UCR is the smartest choice.

Oh sorry...wrong wrong wrong. Ranking/prestige has never been important to me. I've heard that your USMLE is what really matters (in addition to a bunch of other things) when it comes to getting placed. You have such an interesting and well-fought life. I am happy for you. You deserve these acceptances. UC Riverside also offers warm CA and family/friend support. I've some interviews in out of state schools, which are private and higher ranked than my IS schools. My own personal preference is attending school close to my family. Every personality is different, though. I went to a high ranked school in another state, but ultimately applied for a transfer to a public school in my city. You have traveled a lot though, so I think you could adjust anywhere. (I'm from Southern Nevada so I like my warm weather). Just go where you think you'll be the most successful- that's what truly matters. It sounds like your heart isn't saying UCR, so follow your gut. Maybe you're craving something new. :) I would also advise going to the second look options at schools to get them another check out. Also, if you have no undergrad debt, realize that there are also going to be other people at these OOS schools with high tuition who are paying and will also be in debt with you. If they can pay it off, so can you. It'll be a bit of a longer road and a tighter fit for a bit though.

24 posts for SDN to go full-on Etoile's corollary to Godwin's law. I'm so proud :laugh:

24 posts for SDN to go full-on Etoile's corollary to Godwin's law. I'm so proud :laugh:
I'm not acting like Hitler or anything like that. I was just telling him what would be my reasons for going to my IS school... His reasons may differ.

I'm not acting like Hitler or anything like that. I was just telling him what would be my reasons for going to my IS school... His reasons may differ.
It's a corollary, not the actual law.

The SDN version is just that as the argument continues, the probability that someone will question another's ability as a physician or express fear for their future patients approaches 1