Choosing schools: Sinai vs Gtown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPUSN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was very fortunate to got off the waitlist from both schools recently, but having a hard time choosing.

I am from the DC area and want to eventually move back. NYC is okay, but not my favorite to be honest... Sinai obviously has a higher ranking and is more research focused, while Gtown is probably not into research that much. What about clinical reputations? Are there any differences between the two? I do plan to match into competitive specialties (at least for now).

Based on my interview day, Sinai seems to have very happy students. In contrast, my Gtown interviewer (a M4) told me he thought the preclinical years are unnecessarily competitive at Gtown. But it seems they are switching to P/F this year.

Assuming financial burden is similar (Gtown is probably a bit more expensive), which school do you think I should pick? Thanks for your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it would be easier to match into home institutions? i.e. if I go to Gtown and want to match there...

costs being roughly equal...Sinai and I don't even think it should be that hard of a decision, great things about the school that I'm sure you're well aware of..

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think it would be easier to match into home institutions? i.e. if I go to Gtown and want to match there...

Maybe mildly, but its not guarantee and from Sinai you can match to any region of the country (assuming a halfway reasonable med school performance of course).

Sinai's the better school for sure, but if you don't like NYC then definitely think about the 4 years you'll be there...

Oo quick question, since you said you got off the waitlist at sinai, when was this if you dont mind me asking? And good luck with the decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Gtown... go where you're going to be the most happy.

I agree with the sentiment but nothing about OP's posts suggest they'd be happier at Gtown other than the fact it's close to home. Is being close to family going to be a huge support system for you or would you not mind (or even enjoy) being away for a little bit?

Sinai's clinical training and research opportunities would be incredible. If you hope to match into a competitive specialty your chances are better at Sinai (although that is not to say Georgetown wouldn't open those doors either)

Talk to more Georgetown students and see how they felt about preclinical. I've known a few people who went there and matched to amazing programs, so I don't think you would be limited going there in any regards.

I agree with the sentiment but nothing about OP's posts suggest they'd be happier at Gtown other than the fact it's close to home. Is being close to family going to be a huge support system for you or would you not mind (or even enjoy) being away for a little bit?

Sinai's clinical training and research opportunities would be incredible. If you hope to match into a competitive specialty your chances are better at Sinai (although that is not to say Georgetown wouldn't open those doors either)

Talk to more Georgetown students and see how they felt about preclinical. I've known a few people who went there and matched to amazing programs, so I don't think you would be limited going there in any regards.

Thank you both for your input! I do prefer DC over NYC and I think I will be happier there. Being close to family and friends is also quite important to me. That being said, the vibe I got from Sinai is great! Do you think it'd be easier for me to match into Gtown residency programs if I go to their med school?

Thank you both for your input! I do prefer DC over NYC and I think I will be happier there. Being close to family and friends is also quite important to me. That being said, the vibe I got from Sinai is great! Do you think it'd be easier for me to match into Gtown residency programs if I go to their med school?
Just looking at match lists, it definitely looks easier to match into home programs or programs in the same region as the medical school you attend.

Prices being similar I would say just go with Georgetown then, you like the area more and you'll have a stronger support system for when times are stressful. I would say it's probably easier, they will know you very well and your recommendation letters will be from people they know very well (as well as most likely from people within the department).

Georgetown doesn't have anywhere the same quality of reputation compared to Sinai

that said, I loved the campus and living in DC, so much to do, but ppl say that about NYC. Although part of the draw of DC for me is all this historical political stuff, which is not the same appeal that NYC has as a big city

some institutions purposefully don't match their own students, so definitely scrutinize match lists if you're curious about this

regardless, for many matching out of area is the more likely way for it go down, so if you want more time with friends and fam staying home for med school is a good idea, the match can take you anywhere, and very few people know for sure what specialty they even want until they're matched

I knew gunner surgical types that were 100% for surgery day 1 of med school that by ERAS went peds!!
so the fact that it's tough to even say what specialty makes it that much more difficult to predict if you're gonna be able to match to any given region even