Choosing Medical Assistant Position Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notabot81

Reaction score
Reapplicant here but posting in the premed forum for more views.
Would a medical assistant position in optho mess up my narrative as I've been doing basic science research in another specialty for a few years?
Also if I start in early April, will I have enough hours to send in my primary in June?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the goal to get clinical hours? How many hours a week would you work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Full-time or part-time?
Any other clinical activity? In what field/role?

Why are you making the change?
New role would be full time medical assistant in ophthalmology. This would be only significant clinical role other than shadowing. My current job is bench research in basic science which led to a publication.

Is the goal to get clinical hours? How many hours a week would you work?
Yes. Would be full time 35-40 hours I think.

So, you start next week, that's maybe 10 weeks before you submit?? (I"d submit a bit late so you get to 10 weeks).
Maybe 360-400 hours clinical from this full-time job that you began in March/April 2024.

Is this is a physician-run office or an optometrist? I'd give it a bit more weight if it is a physician office.

Did you have any shadowing in primary care (outpatient pediatrics, family medicine, or general internal medicine)?

This should be one way you test your interest in a career in medicine. It is a decent dosage but rather late in the cycle, perhaps, to discover that it is not your jam.

So, you start next week, that's maybe 10 weeks before you submit?? (I"d submit a bit late so you get to 10 weeks).
Maybe 360-400 hours clinical from this full-time job that you began in March/April 2024.

Is this is a physician-run office or an optometrist? I'd give it a bit more weight if it is a physician office.

Did you have any shadowing in primary care (outpatient pediatrics, family medicine, or general internal medicine)?

This should be one way you test your interest in a career in medicine. It is a decent dosage but rather late in the cycle, perhaps, to discover that it is not your jam.
It's physician-run and part of major hospital system. That's good advice to wait until I hit 400 clinical hours to submit my primary. Thanks !

I've got some shadowing mostly in one specialty so far unfortunately.

I was concerned how to handle experiences in various medical specialties as part of a coherent narrative.

You don't have to sell yourself as wanting to do just 1 specialty; instead, try to find a theme across your various activities. Is it a particular patient population or location you're interested in serving more in the future?

Welcome to the forums.

Our advice will be limited as we do not have a full WAMC profile. We don't have psychic powers to discern your narrative or theme without more information. Follow the template.

Do you know why you were unsuccessful in your application previously?

Reactions: 1 user