Citizenship test waiver forms policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't do disability forms and so far don't do these either. Am I being too harsh? What is your criteria? I have a patient scheduled today who wants one today from PTSD after being nearly beheaded.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a zero tolerance policy of never completing these forms in the clinic I worked in that was all immigrant/refugee as then you will only end up doing these and find yourself know in the community by patients as the guy who does these. Also I'm my opinion completing an N648 for PTSD is am abuse - why can't someone with PTSD learn English or pass the civics test? (I am sure you can come up with arguments but it does a disservice to patients). This was really meant to be for things like dementia (which was typically what the requests were for) and intellectual disability - conditions that actually make it unlikely that one would ever be able to pass the test.

you should defer these requests to the PCP (it certainly does not need to be completed by a psychiatrist)

Reactions: 3 users
We had a zero tolerance policy of never completing these forms in the clinic I worked in that was all immigrant/refugee as then you will only end up doing these and find yourself know in the community by patients as the guy who does these. Also I'm my opinion completing an N648 for PTSD is am abuse - why can't someone with PTSD learn English or pass the civics test? (I am sure you can come up with arguments but it does a disservice to patients). This was really meant to be for things like dementia (which was typically what the requests were for) and intellectual disability - conditions that actually make it unlikely that one would ever be able to pass the test.

you should defer these requests to the PCP (it certainly does not need to be completed by a psychiatrist)
beautiful, thank you

I don't do disability forms and so far don't do these either. Am I being too harsh? What is your criteria? I have a patient scheduled today who wants one today from PTSD after being nearly beheaded.
Was she nearly beheaded while taking a test?

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

At least this form has something to do with psychiatric or cognitive disabilities. Mostly I have patients bringing me disability forms from the state or social security asking me how much a patient can bend, lift, etc. I always tell the patient that I haven't done a comprehensive physical exam and can't answer those questions, so they need to take it to their primary care doctor.

That's harsh.
To be fair, severe PTSD can be disabling.
Agreed. I tend to be tongue in cheek pretty often. I assume if it was that debiliting though the OP wouldn't have needed to ask.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

I did one for a patient with severe major depression (slowed, flat, apathetic, speaking in soft mumbles, zero eye contact, evidently impaired memory/concentration, ongoing >1 year). Of note at the end I checked off that I felt her condition would impair her ability to take a written or oral test but did not check off that it would impair her ability to speak English. It would be nice to have firmer guidance around the intent and scope for these.

OT: But why does the person want citizenship? There's not that much difference between citizenship and permanent resident status.

OT: But why does the person want citizenship? There's not that much difference between citizenship and permanent resident status.
there is a world of difference. The two biggies are protection from deportation, and the ability to immigrate your relatives. In addition, you can get a US passport, vote in elections, some jobs are only open to US citizens etc. I didn't mention this above, but sometimes the best therapy for a patient is to get citizenship. It can remove the uncertainty and insecurity regarding their status in the country, and also frees people to travel without the fear of not being readmitted to the country.

there is a world of difference. The two biggies are protection from deportation, and the ability to immigrate your relatives. In addition, you can get a US passport, vote in elections, some jobs are only open to US citizens etc. I didn't mention this above, but sometimes the best therapy for a patient is to get citizenship. It can remove the uncertainty and insecurity regarding their status in the country, and also frees people to travel without the fear of not being readmitted to the country.
Oh, interesting. My mother is a legal alien and has lived here in the US for 35 years (actually more, not exactly sure...but at least 35) and for some reason has never wanted to get US citizenship. I guess I always thought of it as being similar to citizenship in that she pays into Social Security and will collect Social Security and can work, etc. Nothing's ever seemed that different. Both my dad and I have encouraged her to get citizenship at different points, usually when US politics starts to sound a bit jingoistic (as they are with one particular candidate right now). She's from Sweden so there's not really the same hostility that people of other ethnicities could potentially face. I can't even remember what particular event it was that made me kind of paranoid and wanting her to get citizenship. I have such a bad memory. Maybe it was something in the Patriot Act. I can't remember now. But I do remember a couple of times when I thought it would have been a good idea. I always ask her about politics and if she wishes she could vote but she's very apolitical. I'm very lucky to have dual citizenship. In the back of my head, my Swedish passport is my get-out-dodge ticket if anything ever goes majorly south in the US.

<redact political comment here>. I don't do these as a rule for all the reasons listed above. I'm sure someone could tug at my heartstrings enough to maek me do it, but haven't found the exception yet.