All Branch Topic (ABT) Civillian Deferred OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ifitfitsyourmolars

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 year Navy hpsp student here. Just wondering how difficult is it to get a deferance for HPSP payback to attend a civilian residency and if civilian deferrence accrues additional payback years? Trying to find more info on this because my recruiter doesn't know too much about residency. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

They’ve done like one NADDS (deferred commitment, no additional payback but no stipend, pay, or benefits) in the last 5 years. Don’t count on it. You may get FTOS which is also civilian residency but that incurs additional payback.

Just go FTIS. Full pay and benefits, 4 years towards retirement in case you choose to go career, GI Bill. It's a great deal.
Is there a reason you want to do NADDS?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FTOS at a great program is a better option if there is no current obligation. But if you can snag a FTIS residency right out of school, it's a better bet.

FTOS at a great program is a better option if there is no current obligation. But if you can snag a FTIS residency right out of school, it's a better bet.

I’d say it depends on your career intentions. But FTOS without an existing obligation remaining is the best possible situation IMO.

Im curious as to why you think FTOS is better than FTIS?

Because you can go to any 4-year program you want. More options.

I’d say it depends on your career intentions. But FTOS without an existing obligation remaining is the best possible situation IMO.

Because you can go to any 4-year program you want. More options.
Why wouldn’t you have an existing obligation? If, for example, someone finished their HPSP payback, wouldn’t they need to resign before qualifying for FTOS and therefore they would have another obligation?

Why wouldn’t you have an existing obligation? If, for example, someone finished their HPSP payback, wouldn’t they need to resign before qualifying for FTOS and therefore they would have another obligation?

Why would you have to resign? That makes no sense. They select from both active duty as well as students still in dental school.

Why would you have to resign? That makes no sense. They select from both active duty as well as students still in dental school.
Maybe I’m missing something? You and @schmoob said FTOS is awesome if you don’t have any obligations. I’m thinking you always have an obligation as long as you’re in the Navy because you’re either paying back time from school or you have already completed that payback and have signed on for a few more years.

I get that FTOS selects dental students and active duty, I’m just trying to figure out how FTOS would affect someone’s time in service if they were selected right out of Dental School, a few years into their payback, or after their payback was officially completed.

Maybe I’m missing something? You and @schmoob said FTOS is awesome if you don’t have any obligations. I’m thinking you always have an obligation as long as you’re in the Navy because you’re either paying back time from school or you have already completed that payback and have signed on for a few more years.

I get that FTOS selects dental students and active duty, I’m just trying to figure out how FTOS would affect someone’s time in service if they were selected right out of Dental School, a few years into their payback, or after their payback was officially completed.

It can make a big difference in pay. If you finish your commitment and sign a retention contract for 4 years prior to starting residency, you make an extra $25K per year during residency for the duration of that 4 year contract, without owing any additional time. Then you are ineligible for a new retention contract until the remainder of the residency payback is finished; then you can sign another retention contract.

Also, while FTOS may appear less desirable coming out of school since it is served consecutively with the HPSP obligation (4+4 = 8 years plus residency), for someone who's finished their payback it makes no difference since only 4 years are owed after residency, which again leads to either a new retention contract at the end of that 4 years or the opportunity to go into private practice sooner after residency than if you owed 8.

Reactions: 1 users