CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone is super friendly, and not just people in the admin office. Like, grocery store clerks, people at the DVM- EVERYONE is nice out here.

This is amusing to me. Where are you from? Maybe it's because I'm from the south, but I've found people in Ohio to be.... less polite than I am used to. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

Also, it's called the BMV here. :p

I'm glad you are enjoying first year. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Squeeeee, I'm SO hoping that I will be joining you next year. Right now I'm not counting on it, but I can still hold that tiny little glimmer of hope, right?

Did you go to the Eastern Michigan game? If so, I was there too =) I'll be at all the games; this is the first year I got football tickets and I love it!

Any tips you want to give me are wonderful :p

I DID go to the E Mich game, but left at halftime since we demolished them. I just sold my indiana ticket (we have a cell bio exam next week..), so the next game I can actually go to is the penn state game- WOO!! But yea, what kind of tips do you want? Post VMCAS its really just relax cuz, guess what, its out of your hands now. Keep that mindset and you will feel better. Stressing wont make you get accepted any faster. Also, to make you feel MUCH better, OSU (besides UK schools) is the first to send out both interview invites AND acceptances, so you will know before anyone else! ITS AWESOME. Good luck!

This is amusing to me. Where are you from? Maybe it's because I'm from the south, but I've found people in Ohio to be.... less polite than I am used to. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

Also, it's called the BMV here. :p

I'm glad you are enjoying first year. :)

I'm from NY so...yeah. Not that everyone from Ny is rude, far from it, but at the DMV there, people act you like its your fault that you interrupted the convo they were having for them to do their job. NY is just faster, straight to the point and yea..a bit rude, so its WAY nicer (even at the BMV- whatever its called) out here. But yes, totally enjoying it, ESP. Dr Green (majorly love him) and Dr. Inpanbutr is freaking adorable (lets see how I feel after that first anatomy test).

If you find a wet lab or a different conference in the same area you can use the $400 u get for being a SCAVMA member lol. it's too bad we're not allowed to use that for this conference!

I'm pretty sure every SAVMA chapter sets their own policies for reimbursing for wetlabs/symposiums/conferences. That is Penn's SCAVMA policy, but may not apply to TAMU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, coming up this week we have anatomy written (based off formal lectures), anatomy practical (entire dog minus head) and histology practical tests. Just a little part of our 6 midterms over 4 weeks marathon. Oh, and a really random gene scanning group project in biochem. As of right now vet school sucks pretty bad. But after this week it should be better.

Well, coming up this week we have anatomy written (based off formal lectures), anatomy practical (entire dog minus head) and histology practical tests. Just a little part of our 6 midterms over 4 weeks marathon. Oh, and a really random gene scanning group project in biochem. As of right now vet school sucks pretty bad. But after this week it should be better.

I hate to admit it, but at this moment, i hate vet school. I thought my love for the career/science would keep me interested and happy. But it is passed that point now. I am not learning anything. I cram from test to test memorizing pointless things instead of having the time to understand the full process and apply it. Who designed this curriculum?? Because i seriously did not think this was what vet school was about. I thought it was a deep understanding in the field and learning all the processes involved in vet med.

Surprisingly, i feel no relief after our first anatomy practical. It will be a miracle if i pass histo this semester, and after that..i can work on this stupid bchm project and cram 20 lectures of bchm into my brain for our upcoming exam! yay!

Wow, I'm sorry BlacKAT. I am not thrilled about our p-chem test next week with all carbohydrate metabolism and then some on it, but I have not reached that point of despair. We are going slower in anatomy -- the course will take the whole year, with comparative stuff thrown in along the way -- which may be part of it. Even so, UC Davis is preparing for a significant curriculum change that will try to do a better job of integrating all the classes in a way that puts the material in perspective. I hope that more schools will wake up to the fact that there are more effective ways to actually *teach* people and give them an overarching knowledge base that they will retain, but it sucks that you are stuck in the binge-purge cycle now. :(

I lived in constant fear of failing out during fall term of first year. I was so scared I was going to fail out that I'd be sitting there with my heart racing. Not healthy, and not helpful. I have TONS of advice based on me learning the hard way, but I have a parasitology exam tomorrow and I need my sleep. I just saw this and wanted to say that it's not that unusual to reach that level of despair. Try not to psych yourself out with talk of failing. Not helpful and you'll just start a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm lucky I made it fall term but I almost didn't because I was sabotaging myself. For everyone saying that things are going well (not just on here but in your class), there's probably ten people that are enviously wondering why things are so hard for them.
I heard someone say it this way. "In vet school, you cry a lot and you think you're the only one crying but then you find out you're not."

It gets better. Good luck.

Here's the cycle: you love it, then you HATE it, then you hate it some more. Then you make it to second year by what feels like the skin of your teeth. Then you're used to it, and you manage it better. Then you see all the first years (c/o 2015) talking about how much they love it, and you grit your teeth and wait for the **** to hit the fan. Then in third year, you have this amazing revelation where you realize just how much you actually HAVE learned (and also, sadly, how much you still have left to learn). You plod along. Then you get to clinicals, and you vanish from SDN. Maybe you come back, maybe you don't.

This is based purely on observation, since I'm stuck in the passenger seat here. But, it does seem like a definite cycle. With a few aberrations here and there, of course.

Point being... one day at a time, one foot in front of the other. Make sure you take a little time for the things you love - it won't make such a big difference in the end.

And when you make it through, come back to tell the c/o 2015ers that IT WILL BE OKAY when the same thing happens for them. :)

Hey so I have been MIA and probably won't be back frequently, but I just wanted to represent those of us who are not trying to rip our hair out/hating life yet. Maybe its because we started later, maybe its because I make sure I go out and have fun (a lot) but I am really not that stressed. Sure my grades could be better that they are but I am pretty happy with how I am doin' and am not in any danger of flunking out.

Moral of the story, applicants reading this don't freak. Vet school is what you make of it.

I still love vet school, but I will definitely love it a helluva lot more after this upcoming week of Fall Break and after I am not waking up the morning after a ****-show of an anatomy exam. Basically the game was, "what dessicated, disconnected pelvic cavity blood supply can I tag for you today?" If we hadn't felt prepared going in or knew we were lacking some knowledge in areas, we would have been comfortable with the not-so-great feeling after. But considering the class could recite the notes and pull out any cadaver and walk you through every part, we weren't so happy with the overall feeling of, "what the crap was THAT?"

So yeah, right now, my love-hate relationship with vet school is dangerously leaning in the red. I. Need. Break. Now.

Hey so I have been MIA and probably won't be back frequently, but I just wanted to represent those of us who are not trying to rip our hair out/hating life yet. Maybe its because we started later, maybe its because I make sure I go out and have fun (a lot) but I am really not that stressed. Sure my grades could be better that they are but I am pretty happy with how I am doin' and am not in any danger of flunking out.

Moral of the story, applicants reading this don't freak. Vet school is what you make of it.

This is very true...mostly. We have some hard-core stressors in our class who I fear will make themselves physically sick one of these exam periods. But there are plenty of us who shut off the bedroom lights by 11 pm each night, have weekend time with significant others, catch up on fun reading and TV, etc. who are now feeling the grind. And I'm definitely in that group. I don't ever really feel stressed about school, but I am really feeling tired of school right now. It's been two months solid without a break (we had two exams the days after Labor Day, so I don't even count that), and while I'm not really stressed about grades and studying and what-not, I'm need some time away from the process. Yesterday's exam was pretty much the final straw for most of us, even the non-stressing group.

So applicants, yes, while you can definitely choose not be one of the crazies by making some choices to have a life and get some sleep, you will probably not love every minute of vet school. And that's 110% okay.

*hugs to everyone* I'm sorry to hear you guys are having such a hard time of it. I'm hating anatomy in particular right now, only because he says don't know it on one breath and then explains it on the next. And rote memorization was never my strong suit. But overall I'm still plugging right along and feeling fine. From what my big sib said though, TT's assessment is very very true. But you will make it! So just hang in there! :luck::love:

cowgirla-im sry u feel the way i do, but at the same time it is nice to know i'm not the only one. i think it will be better after this week, i have a teenie break so i'll be able to study for more than 1-2 days...deep breath

oregonhopeful-thanks, that is exactly how i feel. especially the quote. i cant remember a time where i cried so much. i almost feel like i'm bipolar or something. but every time i feel overwhelmed (like every other day lol) i cry. and it seems like once i start i can't stop so i think ive cried like every day this week. sighhh this sounds really silly. i'm also forcing myself to eat but i feel so sick all the time cuz i'm so nervous. ive already lost about 6 lbs in a month without exercise, normally i would be happy but im definitely not because i know its not healthy and i can feel the effects

twelvetigers-yup that seems like a cycle i could see happening

To everyone who countered my post-i understand not everyone feels this way. and one reason i posted in the c/o 2014 was so i wouldn't freak all the pre-vets out in the Rant thread. So, i wasnt trying to scare them, just honestly needed some help/advice :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think where you go to school is really more of a big deal than anyone has admitted to on this forum.

There is not a single person in our class I know who can have a anything approaching a balanced life and get through this curriculum (not since a month after we started anyway). I am probably the closest thing to someone who is having a life outside of vet school, and I barely have a life and may not pass all my classes. You can't just show up at classes, study moderately and get by at Penn (and a number of other schools).

I remember at interviews some schools saying they ease first years in and then increase the difficulty... definitely not here. You plunge into the deep end from the start.

One big advantage here is there is no such thing as getting kicked/failing out of school (unless there is a honor code violation). You may have to repeat a class, or repeat a year(or two or more), but Penn will bend over backwards to have you continue to pay tuition.. .ahem I mean to stay in school. So at least that is not a worry.

I kinda agree with Blackat that the design of the curriculum absolutely sucks. And at an "old" place like this, change is glacial. But, I actually am amazed at how much I have learned in 6-7 weeks, just wish they gave us more time to learn the 90% I couldn't process.

Not having any time off until the end of the semester certainly doesn't help. I would gladly have started early to have some break in the middle.
Well, back to histology (which kind of bites for someone with severe color deficiency).

Cowgirla, when you guys get back from camping (I'm super jealous by the way) we are going to go into lab and learn anatomy together. I have felt so overwhelmed/lost in there since we started the nerves and arteries/veins. And if you need help in Histo I may be able to help a little. I mean, I don't have an A in there right now but I have gotten better at it. We will make it through this. 64 days until Christmas Break!

BlacKat just keep swimming, just keep swimming!

Sometimes I really do wish I could hug people through the internet. If it helps, just keep reminding yourself that you wouldn't have gotten accepted if someone had though you weren't capable of handling the curriculum. Whether you feel it or not, just keep walking and eventually you will make it to where you are supposed to be.

I'm sorry guys! That sucks! Well I lovvvvvve mississippi state! They do a great job of taking things pretty slow so that you really understand it. I think it helps that we start a bit earlier in the year. It is definitely worth it. I don't really know anyone in my class that is all that terrified of failing....most people I know are just worried they won't get an A. I love how all of my classes are coming together, and now I can see why things are important. Everyone should consider Mississippi :) Oh and everyone passed their NAVLE last year!

Oh and I took the hardest exam of the year today (from what the upperclassmen say), and I did alright!

It sounds like most of us are feeling pretty stressed right now--I know I am. Anatomy exam tomorrow, and then there is a lurking physiology project with a mystical due date. It may be due in two weeks, or it may get pushed way back. I'm hoping for the latter.
So far, it seems like my entire knowledge of anatomy is based on mnemonics. Example question: how could blood in cephalic vein return to heart?
Answer: Chubby Oliver Ate McDonalds. (cephalic, omobrachial, axillobrachial, median cubital)

It sounds like most of us are feeling pretty stressed right now--I know I am. Anatomy exam tomorrow, and then there is a lurking physiology project with a mystical due date. It may be due in two weeks, or it may get pushed way back. I'm hoping for the latter.
So far, it seems like my entire knowledge of anatomy is based on mnemonics. Example question: how could blood in cephalic vein return to heart?
Answer: Chubby Oliver Ate McDonalds. (cephalic, omobrachial, axillobrachial, median cubital)

Oh, nice one skittles. I'll have to remember that tomorrow. Have you resorted to writing on yourself yet?

Urrrrgh. School is stress-stress-stress-ful! Anatomy lab 17 hours a week is really starting to get to me - though the teacher is awesome so that helps :) StartingoverVet - I know how you feel. School just consumes your entire life! I'm in a contract program with Iowa, so I won't be at Iowa for another two years - hence, I'm frustrated because I'm missing out on all of the cool clinics, wetlabs, etc. that they get to participate in. Anyway - grumble grumble grumble. I shouldn't be complaining - I'm doing fine - it's just that if I let up AT ALL, it all comes crashing down. I'm sorry histology is so tough for you guys - I understand! The only reason I love it is because I had an awesome undergrad class where we spent thousands of hours behind the microscope. It takes time to pick up - but you will get better at it!

For me, histology is pretty easy. Just gotta remember what each shade of pink represents when placed next to another shade of pink (or magenta, or in trichrome, trippiness!).

I dislike Anatomy greatly though. Having to learn what each little vessel and nerve's name is and what it supplies and its relation to the muscles around it? Infinitely more applicable than Histology, but way more exhausting on the synapses.

I am really hating anatomy. If I could actually understand what was going on, it would be ok, but sometimes it feels like a gigantic waste of time. Today, we wasted 20min trying to identify one muscle. None of the TAs could figure it out, so at first we had one TA, then two, then the lab tech and one of our anatomy profs as well. They had to look it up in a textbook. If they don't know the medial pelvic limb muscles on a cow, how do they expect us to know it? Why should we know it? It's like they don't prepare for the labs at all, then go in blind and try to figure it out while we're figuring it out.

"Could this be the sartorius? It has two heads, right?"
"In the dog. In the horse there's only one."
"Well, what about the cow?"
"... I'm not sure."

An awful lot of questions end with "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" which is fine if it's some weird, obscure question, but this is just muscle identification. Then there was the whole debacle last week, where they told us one thing ("this is the long digital extensor"), then 3/4 through the lab they say, "Oh, that's wrong! That's not the long digital extensor; that's the peroneus tertius!" I feel like I would get a lot more out of the anatomy lab if our instructors were actually prepared. There have been way too many instances of them contradicting each other, or even contradicting themselves 5 minutes later.

Anatomy rant aside, I think my other courses are ok. We have a histology midterm on Monday, and while some of the TAs aren't very good, the prof, the microscope tech, and one of the TAs are all really knowledgeable and amazing. Our midterm covers basic tissue types and the endocrine system, and they've put in a lot of review to make sure we can identify things on slides. My only complaint is that I still can't see through a microscope properly, with both eyes instead of just one. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to at this point, though.

Agreeing with the other Penn people. I don't know one person in our class who is not stressed out of their mind right now. I know multiple people who failed our first test, and they are smart people. It gets a little annoying to just be told "oh just calm down and have a balanced life" by someone taking a different schedule at a different school.

Oh, nice one skittles. I'll have to remember that tomorrow. Have you resorted to writing on yourself yet?

Yes! I have letters all over my arm! Hopefully they come off tonight or I might be wearing long sleeves tomorrow! :laugh:

Welcome to vet school :)

Second year has definitely been more interesting clinically than first year, and I hear third year is even better, and then clinics are the best. So have faith... it does get better (but no easier).

My advice is this: you will never feel like you studied enough, but sometimes you just have to make yourself take a break from studying at least one night a week. Also, it's *hard* but try not to get so caught up in studying for one exam that you neglect all your other classes- try to divide your time between different exams instead of last minute cramming.

Other than that... just grin and bear it ;)

Agreeing with the other Penn people. I don't know one person in our class who is not stressed out of their mind right now. I know multiple people who failed our first test, and they are smart people. It gets a little annoying to just be told "oh just calm down and have a balanced life" by someone taking a different schedule at a different school.
I hope I didn't come across that way. I was trying to express sympathy and frustration at the fact that vet school curriculum doesn't HAVE to be that way but still is at some schools like Penn. :(

I'm personally loving school right now, and honestly, I think undergrad was more difficult and definitely much more stressful. A lot of it has to do with the fact that that I don't have nearly as many time consuming assignments to complete every week. So for the most part, it seems like all I have to do on a given week is study the lecture/lab material in prep for exams... which is FABULOUS!

I really like the curriculum at CSU, and I think they do a pretty good job integrating all of the classes together. They're very good at making sure that exams are pretty well spread apart during first year, so it's rare that we have more than one exam on a given week. They're also pretty good about making sure that you're only responsible for things that will be clinically relevant, and that helps a lot. And, they really really stress that passing (>70%) means that you are in good academic standing, and that that is all that matters. Unless you're failing, they don't even seem to care about your grades at all. Actually, they really discourage you from caring about your grades. And the professors really try to reach out to any student that is struggling. I love love love our anatomy professor, and she really makes the class super enjoyable, which is great since this was the one class that I was worried about going in.

There are definitely students in our class whose lives are 100% consumed by vet school, but at least from what I see, there are plenty of people with balanced lives. I dunno, perhaps all of our pennwe's are right :p, and some schools are just much "easier" than others? But exactly what does that mean? I definitely feel like I'm on the right track to becoming a competent veterinarian (or as competent as I could be as a new grad).

Hi all,

Just a reminder from clinics. It does get better I promise! The material becomes more applicable as you get towards clinics.

Take time each day/week as a brain break. You will study more effectively if you give yourself a break and then go back to things then if you just study straight for hours a night. Give yourself permission for a day/afternoon off you will be more productive the other piece of the day!

Try to review things as you go along. My system was to go quickly back through the material from the previous week on the weekend--not to learn it just to make sure that it made sense and I wasn't confused about it . Then when that exam is coming up you just need to organize the material in your head instead of first sorting out the snarles and then organizing.

As someone on VIN likes to say: If you're going through hell, keep going!

Good luck!

I dunno, perhaps all of our pennwe's are right :p, and some schools are just much "easier" than others? But exactly what does that mean? I definitely feel like I'm on the right track to becoming a competent veterinarian (or as competent as I could be as a new grad).

Trust me, I don't believe hard=better education.

Maybe there is some payoff down the line, maybe there isn't.

We are just pointing out that different situations require different approaches.

CSU sounds great to me.

I'm personally loving school right now, and honestly, I think undergrad was more difficult and definitely much more stressful. A lot of it has to do with the fact that that I don't have nearly as many time consuming assignments to complete every week. So for the most part, it seems like all I have to do on a given week is study the lecture/lab material in prep for exams... which is FABULOUS!

:laugh: man i wish i were at CSU! why does there seem to be such a big diff in curriculum? So i'm in histo lab right now, it is almost 11pm.... there are 13 people in lab with me (on one side of the room) so i'm assuming about total of 30 people here still looking at slides. 1.5 days to cram for histo is not good for the eyes btw, i am partially blind lol

also-i am feeling much better now :) i love my SDN friends!!

katryn, *hug*!

So glad you posted, Minnerbelle. I am feeling pretty much the same way: yes, it's hard, but not unreasonably so yet (Minnesota is definitely an ease-you-in-for-your-first-semester school) other than the sheer volume of material. We have one class (out of 14) in which we have some dull (but super easy) assignments, but for the most part all I need to do every night is review the day's notes and preview for the next day.

Before exams it is definitely more of a crunch, but our class averages have been really high on our first bunch of exams. Almost everyone seems like they are taking some time to relax as well as study hard. And I definitely still love vet school. :)

It seems like it's very school dependent whether or not someone is going crazy from stress first semester. Something to keep in mind, maybe, if I end up with multiple acceptances!

I'm sure some of it has to do with the person as well. But, I agree - based on this, Penn sounds terribly hard. Of course, we have two major crowds represented here - Penn and Davis - and that doesn't really give a clear view of veterinary schools as a whole.

I'm not sure why we have a huge representation of a couple of schools each cycle, but that does happen. It was UTK a while a go, and now there are only a few...

Anyway, everyone gets something different out of their first year, I'm sure. Just expect it to be hard and, well... you'll still probably be surprised.

Hang in there guys! It might be comin' from the cheap seats, but I mean it! I know y'all will make it through. :)

It does worry me, though, not hearing from people at some of the schools I applied to. Are they not posting about being majorly stressed b/c their school is less stressful, or b/c they are so crazy stressed that they have no downtime to get on the forum?

Certainly if I have the choice, I would prefer not to attend a school that is known for 3 exams a week for the entire semester. :scared:

It really depends on the individual as well. Mizzou has a tough, fast paced curriculum but I wouldn't say I'm too stressed. I study a lot and there are days when I feel so overwhelmed I could just cry but I always manage to get it done and so far my lowest score on an exam was an 85.

Other people in my class haven't been as lucky. We have people that study constantly and I mean CONSTANTLY and still aren't passing some exams. Tears are becoming a pretty common sight and a lot of people are hitting their wall about now. Then we have people who don't seem to study at all and are doing just fine.

I think it all depends on your coping abilities and background. I didn't have any advanced education besides undergrad but haven't found the adjustment to vet school all that bad. It's pretty much the same as my undergrad classes just a ton more volume. Others have never experienced classes like this before and some people are almost bored after having received multiple degrees/doctorates in previous years.

Mizzou has a bit of a reputation of having a high fail out rate and I am a little worried about several of my classmates but overrall I'd say our exams and curriculum are very fair if you put the right kind of work in. It's tough and are exams do tend to cluster a bit but for the most part our professors are aware we have other classes and do their best to space things out. It's just not always possible to make it happen.

I'm someone that has to put some work into keeping up but I still manage to find time to cook, walk my dogs, ride my horse and even take little weekend trips now and then. I think forcing myself to make time for things like that has been the biggest factor in doing well. I've probably missed a few points here and there from having taken time off studying to go relax but the difference b/t an A and a B just isn't enough for me to lose my sanity over.

It does worry me, though, not hearing from people at some of the schools I applied to. Are they not posting about being majorly stressed b/c their school is less stressful, or b/c they are so crazy stressed that they have no downtime to get on the forum?

Certainly if I have the choice, I would prefer not to attend a school that is known for 3 exams a week for the entire semester. :scared:

As the c/o 2015 threads pop up for each school you could probably ask about testing schedules and general stress level. It seemed like a lot of the current students keep an eye on the application threads and are good about responding, and for under represented schools there's almost always someone who knows someone who's currently going through the curriculum.

I think it's more that people handle stress differently and many people in vet school aren't accustomed to not being able to keep up in classes. I think based on meeting people and reading what people put on these forums that a lot of people go into vet school expecting to love it and having it be fun, and then are pretty surprised that it's a hellhole and shocked that they can't study a moderate amount and get the grades they used to get while riding their horse daily/playing IM soccer/partying all weekend/whatever their pastime is. At Davis people failed our first pchem exam and the professors talked to them, assigned them tutors - this is obviously not a unique thing to have happen in this class and the people before us got through it and so will my current classmates.

It sucks to study a ton and then get a bleh grade, but it's all a matter of perspective in the end. My perspective is that I've met a few really dumb vets and I always figure that if they can get through it, then any of us can. Eventual Eventer is currently laughing at me for this perspective, damn her :mad:

tldr: do your best, you'll still be a vet in the end.

I think it's more that people handle stress differently and many people in vet school aren't accustomed to not being able to keep up in classes. I think based on meeting people and reading what people put on these forums that a lot of people go into vet school expecting to love it and having it be fun, and then are pretty surprised that it's a hellhole and shocked that they can't study a moderate amount and get the grades they used to get while riding their horse daily/playing IM soccer/partying all weekend/whatever their pastime is. At Davis people failed our first pchem exam and the professors talked to them, assigned them tutors - this is obviously not a unique thing to have happen in this class and the people before us got through it and so will my current classmates.

It sucks to study a ton and then get a bleh grade, but it's all a matter of perspective in the end. My perspective is that I've met a few really dumb vets and I always figure that if they can get through it, then any of us can. Eventual Eventer is currently laughing at me for this perspective, damn her :mad:

tldr: do your best, you'll still be a vet in the end.

I don't fully agree. I came into vet school thinking it was going to be horrible...and I love it! I actually think vet school is easier than undergrad. For me I'm better at memorizing things rather than doing things like chemistry. I study less for a lot of my tests than I did in undergrad and i'm getting A's....so I think yes it depends on how people handle stress somewhat... but I think mostly it depends on where you go

Check the 2014 decisions thread.. Find someone who chose your school and PM them. They might not be reading SDN anymore but would probably respond to a PM if they received it. Then you could post their feedback (with their approval of course)

I actually think vet school is easier than undergrad. I study less for a lot of my tests than I did in undergrad and i'm getting A's....so I think yes it depends on how people handle stress somewhat... but I think mostly it depends on where you go

i agree with this statement completely...it absolutely depends on the vet school. some schools have a reputation for having a less challenging curriculum. i could care less that you're getting A's on all your tests in every class. the quality of the veterinarians coming out of each school is what's more important in my opinion. i didn't apply to certain schools for that reason...

i agree with this statement completely...it absolutely depends on the vet school. some schools have a reputation for having a less challenging curriculum. i could care less that you're getting A's on all your tests in every class. the quality of the veterinarians coming out of each school is what's more important in my opinion. i didn't apply to certain schools for that reason...

Wow.....are you saying my school isn't good enough or something? I think that my school produces awesome vets. I'm pretty offended by your statement.

That's a pretty inflammatory statement...
Worst vet I've ever worked with was an AU grad (removed a dogs bladder instead of uterus during a spay) but I certainly don't think all AU vets are bad. I've met some great ones. I've also met great and bad Mizzou, CSU and Illinois vets. I firmly believe that you get out of vet school what you put into it no matter which one you attend.

And I was accepted into Auburn but liked Mississippi's program better...so please don't ever say that one school is better than another. It all depends on what school fits each person.

I didn't read rileyroo's post that way at all. Hopefully she can come on and clarify, but it sounds like she's saying there are different curriculums but what matters is that people are graduating as good vets (which is hopefully happening at all the schools).

I don't think anyone is trying to say certain schools are better - just that first semester first year of certain schools is harder. Not an insult to anyone - and honestly it would be very unlikely for every semester at every school to be of equal difficulty. Two people at two different schools may learn the exact same amount of information, but at one school that may amount to an A where at another school it may amount to a B. Or some schools may start easy and get really hard, while others are moderately hard all along. Or some schools may schedule their tests more effectively than others. The amount you work is not always proportionate to the amount you ultimately learn.

I think it is important to talk about this, if for nothing else than for the future applicants, and to remember that we all pass the same test at the end.

Ah well the only reason I thought that was because of this... " i didn't apply to certain schools for that reason..."

I didn't read rileyroo's post that way at all. Hopefully she can come on and clarify, but it sounds like she's saying there are different curriculums but what matters is that people are graduating as good vets (which is hopefully happening at all the schools).

yes, this is exactly the take home message. before everyone else throws flames at me reading into my message in a completely different way. :)

and luplow, if i remember correctly (not that it even matters, but since the petty subject was brought up), you had already purchased your house in starkville before being called off the waitlist at auburn. it doesn't even matter now b/c you are in vet school (that's the important message...and you're really happy at miss. st. which is even more important). so please, if you'd like to spend your free time arguing with me...send me a pm instead of going back and forth on this forum.

again, it doesn't matter how you got there, it just matters you're there. and as long as everyone is getting out of their classes what they need to, it doesn't matter what anyone's averages/grades are.

those of us who are in vet school...we made it...we are here...that's what matters.

we all choose what schools we want to apply to and don't want to apply to. and our personal experiences help shape those decisions. i said i didn't apply to certain schools bc i didn't like their individual programs. but what programs weren't for me, others love. it in no way means that i think we should rank order schools on sdn b/c at the end of the day, it simply doesn't matter.

hope that clarifies it.

Wow...

I'm sorry that I misunderstood what you were saying...obviously it was easy to take the wrong way since I wasn't the only one. My whole point about the auburn thing was that different schools are for different people (plus you can ask any of my friends that go to auburn that MSU was my first choice). There is NO need to try to bring me down in any way

Last edited: