Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
QFT.

I'm in fall semester too. Which means as soon as I get back to the island, I need to do some serious suture practice.

I hope we end up in the same group! :) And yeah, just last night I remembered that I need to remember how to suture and stuff...whoops.

Members don't see this ad.

Huh.

I thought it was more common for surgery class to be second year than third? Is it the other way around?

We did our surgery class last year. I felt like it was super anticlimactic ... I had a reasonable bit of surgery experience in my first year, summer, and fall semester second year, so by the time I got to our actual class ... It was kinda lame. It didn't help that my animal turned out to be pre-spayed (we suspected it, but the scar was super-iffy) so it turned into an exploratory celiotomy to hunt down a uterine stump. I felt sorry for the poor thing. And a little grumpy that our school doesn't keep tattoo ink in student surgery so who knows, maybe someday she'll get a 'third' spay.

I guess it was still fun. It's a couple days off of classes, at least. :)

Hope yers is more exciting than mine was. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ours is fall semester 3rd year. we start with surgical skills in spring 2nd year and then live surgery stuff in the fall.

we also get to pick our own groups, is that not common?

LIS, it seems that schools are almost 50-50 (from my mental SDN sample;)) on which year they do surgery. Last year we had a "principles of surgery" class where we learned things like suturing, gowning/gloving, etc and "principles of anesthesiology" where we learned about the machines and such. This year we do actual surgery.

Our groups are assigned by height so that everyone can see the surgery table comfortably.

Our groups are assigned by height so that everyone can see the surgery table comfortably.

That's brilliant. I love it.
I had an awesome partner for the first part of our surgery course. But he's super tall and I'm not. At all. Even with me on a step stool he was still bending over half the time, poor guy.

For the second part of our surgery course, we rotate groups, which I really liked. We didn't get to pick our groups. Table height gets set based off the primary surgeon so I just had to think tall thoughts a few times when I was only the assistant or the anesthetist :laugh:

That height thing is pretty darn awesome. My group just happened to be fairly tall-ish (I'm 6', and the three women in my group are on the taller side), so it worked out fine, but ... yeah, it could suck.

We did our surgery/anesthesia class and the actual surgery lab all sorta at the same time. I mean, the labs weren't until late in the class (for obvious reasons), but it was all together. Worked ok, I guess. I don't know how people with less experience felt, but I was glad I was already comfortable with surgery beforehand. (Not like I have oodles of experience, but .. just enough to feel confident going into our class.)

We were assigned groups based on height as well. We had 8 weeks of lab. First week was gowning/gloving/opening packs/practicing suturing with all the junk on. Second week was live surgery. Weeks 3-7 were on cadavers. Week 8 was live surgery. During both the live surgery weeks, we had a day where we did surgery and another day where we were running anesthesia for another group. This was during block 10.... technically part of 3rd year, but held in the 8 week block before our summer after 2nd year, if that makes sense. During block 9, we had surgery lecture and learned how to suture.

I had an awesome partner for the first part of our surgery course. But he's super tall and I'm not. At all. Even with me on a step stool he was still bending over half the time, poor guy.

I think by height is a great idea. I had the same problem because two guys in my surgery group are about 6 feet tall and I'm about 5' 2". They spent a lot of time stooped over the table!

I think by height is a great idea. I had the same problem because two guys in my surgery group are about 6 feet tall and I'm about 5' 2". They spent a lot of time stooped over the table!

I can work at a short table just fine; I was taught to just spread my legs (insert your favorite wide stance or spread legs joke here). Kinda weird looking, but it works well. I got used to it on some of our trips up north where the tables aren't adjustable. Stooping hurts after a while.

I think it might be harder to be short working at a tall table. Unless there's a platform to stand on, I guess. :)

I think it might be harder to be short working at a tall table. Unless there's a platform to stand on, I guess. :)

In film and television, that is called an apple box. I miss mine. Shoulda stolen it and lugged it along. It was from Greys Anatomy. (I didn't work on the show, it just ended up at our studio for some reason.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got OneNote going... and washed my car and colored my hair and got my nails done. Priorities.

Sounds about right. I got Chinese... then ice cream. I did download the syllabi the other day.

We start next Monday. Friday was my last day of work and this week is dedicated to getting my life in order before I move. I have a piece of paper for my giant to-do list but browsing Facebook and SDN is more fun...oops.

And that's why I think I'm so nervous for surgery - I think I remember that there are testicles and ovaries but that's about it :eek:

And that's why I think I'm so nervous for surgery - I think I remember that there are testicles and ovaries but that's about it :eek:

Yeah. I work in our ICU and last night an intern was asking me about some fluid therapy stuff (which is unfortunate, because we don't cover it in detail until this upcoming semester, so I'm sure she walked away shaking her head thinking that either I or the school really suck). She dropped the "this detail is a really popular board question" thing, and it hit me all at once that boards are really just a bit more than a year away.

That kinda gave me an 'oh crap' feeling that lasted for a while.

Yeah. I work in our ICU and last night an intern was grilling me about some fluid therapy stuff (which is unfortunate, because we don't cover it in detail until this upcoming semester, so I'm sure she walked away shaking her head thinking that either I or the school really suck), and all at once it sorta hit me that boards are really only a bit more than a year away.

Oof :\

I've been doing the Zuku QOTD and every time I miss one I should have known the answer to I feel pretty crummy. I can't believe it's really a bit over a year away - time really does fly.

Oof :\

I've been doing the Zuku QOTD and every time I miss one I should have known the answer to I feel pretty crummy. I can't believe it's really a bit over a year away - time really does fly.

Yeah. A classmate and I did some Zuku QsOTD a few weeks ago ... It was really distressing when we missed three or four in a row. And sorta reassuring at the same time (because she's super smart).

Yeah. I work in our ICU and last night an intern was asking me about some fluid therapy stuff (which is unfortunate, because we don't cover it in detail until this upcoming semester, so I'm sure she walked away shaking her head thinking that either I or the school really suck). She dropped the "this detail is a really popular board question" thing, and it hit me all at once that boards are really just a bit more than a year away.

it is always fascinating to me how the school curriculums are so different! where you did surgery last semester, we covered fluid therapy in depth. and yet we will all graduate in the exact same place in 2 years. cool!

Yeah. A classmate and I did some Zuku QsOTD a few weeks ago ... It was really distressing when we missed three or four in a row. And sorta reassuring at the same time (because she's super smart).

:laugh:

I just tell myself that when I actually study I'm going to remember all of it ;) But being the crammer that I am, I foresee some really late nights...

Ditto.

And I'm not sure when I'm going to get time to study on rotations. I feel like I should take two vacation rotations back to back right before boards to have a month to study. :p

I have periods of down time on certain rotations where I can do a few Vetprep questions on my phone. I did a ton on slow nights during small animal emergency....because what else is there to do at the hospital at 1 am? Some rotations definitely have more time than others--right now I am on nutrition/behavior and usually get an hour break for lunch. Other rotations, like ophthalmology, were basically non-stop all day.

Lab groups for diagnostic radiology posted. I don't have to be at school until 10:30 on Monday. Sweet. :D We'll switch later in the semester, but still, for now, this makes me very happy to have a few weeks where I don't have to be at school for 8:30 on Mondays.

ETA: Scratch that. I have to be at school for 8 am tomorrow to hang a research poster. Boooo.

I've managed to download my notes for tomorrow though, so that's something. Just a tiny smidge of motivation.

Last edited:
Not sure I should have looked at our class schedule so closely...ten classes without counting labs separately and including surgery:eek: plus two clubs and volunteering nearby...this semester is going to be so crazy.

3rd year has started off well here at UCD. We already have had our first surgery rotation and are in the full swing of classes. We have separated into our "streams" and so our not spending very much time with the "other" part of the class. (I'm small animal) It just seems so unreal to be over half way and starting the "real" stuff. I hope everyone's year goes fabulously!

We're in our last block before clinics... 6.5 weeks and I'll be doing some clinical nutrition :)

But for now, we're in therio, equine, food animal, ECC, and ophthalmology lectures. This is the only pre-clinical block where we are allowed to take electives, so I jumped in on the zoo med elective, because why not?

We don't get to touch clinics until May. And we only get a week's worth of a break between classes and clinics.

Wooooooo

Yeah we have finals week, then Sat. off, then white coat on Sun., orientation Mon. and Tues., and then clinics start that Wed. I don't like that our blocks change on Wednesdays...

Yeah we have finals week, then Sat. off, then white coat on Sun., orientation Mon. and Tues., and then clinics start that Wed. I don't like that our blocks change on Wednesdays...

Ugh - switching on Wednesday sucks! Then you REALLY never have a weekend. YOU CAN DO IT!

We don't get to touch clinics until May. And we only get a week's worth of a break between classes and clinics.

Wooooooo

No clinics until May and only two days (Saturday, Sunday) before rotations start for us:thumbdown:

Third year has been crazy. I feel like I got tossed in the deep end when classes started on Monday and have been treading water furiously since then. I go to bed at night and am black-out asleep until my alarm goes off in the morning. Hoping it's just the beginning of the school year busyness and that it calms down soon. Whew.

Yikes, you guys are freaking me out a bit! Start 3rd year in 1.5 weeks - holy hell can't believe how quickly it has gone so far.... I am on a 5 yr program, so don't have clinical rotations until 5th year but they take the entire 5th yr (all 12 mths really).... but we do clinical EMS which I start this summer and I have to get 22 weeks in different areas done before graduation....

Just enjoying a few more days off before I get sucked in

Yikes, you guys are freaking me out a bit! Start 3rd year in 1.5 weeks - holy hell can't believe how quickly it has gone so far.... I am on a 5 yr program, so don't have clinical rotations until 5th year but they take the entire 5th yr (all 12 mths really).... but we do clinical EMS which I start this summer and I have to get 22 weeks in different areas done before graduation....

Just enjoying a few more days off before I get sucked in

We do all 12 months as well (we get out in late April/early May) with ~40 weeks of required rotations.

Do you guys also have animal handling labs or is the EMS supposed to cover that?

First surgery lab tomorrow, which is mostly just an info session (from what I understand). Which means we find out our groups, which decides when our live surgeries are. :scared: Not ready for this!

I copied the midterm/final schedule into my agenda today. It's not as bad as it could be, but still pretty hectic. A total of 22 for this semster, plus the business of surgery which seems like it's going to add a significant chunk of time each week.

As a small victory, I hit a jugular vein for the first time today. I've had a mental block about jugular venipucture for awhile now (sticking a needle into a neck, accompanied by all the various life-sustaining structures in that area.... yipes). Almost gave up, but my groupmates were pretty fantastic about encouraging me. Including hugs when I got freaked out when the dog yelped and yanked her back and I just about went through the roof. :oops:

First surgery lab tomorrow, which is mostly just an info session (from what I understand). Which means we find out our groups, which decides when our live surgeries are. :scared: Not ready for this!

I copied the midterm/final schedule into my agenda today. It's not as bad as it could be, but still pretty hectic. A total of 22 for this semster, plus the business of surgery which seems like it's going to add a significant chunk of time each week.

As a small victory, I hit a jugular vein for the first time today. I've had a mental block about jugular venipucture for awhile now (sticking a needle into a neck, accompanied by all the various life-sustaining structures in that area.... yipes). Almost gave up, but my groupmates were pretty fantastic about encouraging me. Including hugs when I got freaked out when the dog yelped and yanked her back and I just about went through the roof. :oops:

You will be great! Our surgery labs were slightly terrifying at first, but they quickly became fun, and I ended up liking my group a lot (none of us had really talked to each other since the beginning of vet school).

And great job on hitting the jugular! I never even saw that done before vet school. My dog is enrolled in a study here so twice a year I take her in for blood work and they let me do it every time. She has been a good learning opportunity for me :p

we start surgery next week! :eek: my group goes thursday. we had our anesthesia orientation last week, surgery orientation this week, and will hit the ground running next week. yikes!

most of our classes are going well but our theriogenology class is a disaster. it makes me want to cry and it's already made several of my classmates cry. there is no organization, no teaching, no lecture/notes, its just a general mess and the professor cant get his act together. its ridiculous

I start surgeries week after next, but just cadaver labs at first. I am not looking forward to it because I dislike smelly cadavers. I mean, I'm sure most people don't exactly like it, but I'd rather deal with formaldehyde smell any day. I just ... it's gross and I kinda dread it extra much as a result.

I start surgeries week after next, but just cadaver labs at first. I am not looking forward to it because I dislike smelly cadavers. I mean, I'm sure most people don't exactly like it, but I'd rather deal with formaldehyde smell any day. I just ... it's gross and I kinda dread it extra much as a result.

ugh i understand! anything that looks or smells like it belongs in the pathology or anatomy labs is not for me!

we don't have any "practice" before our first live animal surgeries:scared:

We do all 12 months as well (we get out in late April/early May) with ~40 weeks of required rotations.

Do you guys also have animal handling labs or is the EMS supposed to cover that?

Yes we have animal handling as well, we did an entire semester of it in first year. And then had a animal handling exam in 2nd year. We also had preclinical EMS that was required which was getting experience with dairy, beef, pigs, poultry, equine, and smalls - although I could pass out of some of that. And then we have clinical EMS as well.

Yes we have animal handling as well, we did an entire semester of it in first year. And then had a animal handling exam in 2nd year. We also had preclinical EMS that was required which was getting experience with dairy, beef, pigs, poultry, equine, and smalls - although I could pass out of some of that. And then we have clinical EMS as well.

Wow, that's a lot of required stuff! If you want to pass out of it is it a practical exam or written?

Surgery introduction this morning was super overwhelming (I think I speak for our whole class, too). I'm hoping that by the time we go through the motions of blood work, records etc a few times it will become easier. But right now...holy crap. I think I'm going to write out all of the exams, quizzes, etc and then make up a table for when we have to do what for surgery. I feel like that could be a class in its own semester!

Surgery introduction this morning was super overwhelming (I think I speak for our whole class, too). I'm hoping that by the time we go through the motions of blood work, records etc a few times it will become easier. But right now...holy crap. I think I'm going to write out all of the exams, quizzes, etc and then make up a table for when we have to do what for surgery. I feel like that could be a class in its own semester!

TR speaks the truth. The coordinator said, "It's like you're little baby birds and we're pushing you out of the nest now," and all I could think was "I am going to fall out of the nest and land on my face." Too late to run away and join the circus?

I should compare notes with you...I'm not coming up with that many midterms/finals but I also have quizzes put in to...hrm.

First day back.

Brain = Owie

I did get one very, very crucial thing done during one lecture, though. I got three little tiny countdown timers running on my desktop for 1) Christmas Break, 2) White Coat Ceremony, and 3) Graduation.

I have a derm exam tomorrow

yaaaay papules

I just ordered some scrub caps on etsy - how's that for efficient studying? I hope I like them. They are bouffant style and I usually do ponytail, but they are SO CUTE I couldn't resist.

ALSO. Two pregnant gals in my class now. It's happened!
(neither one is me)

I have a derm exam tomorrow

yaaaay papules

I just ordered some scrub caps on etsy - how's that for efficient studying? I hope I like them. They are bouffant style and I usually do ponytail, but they are SO CUTE I couldn't resist.

ALSO. Two pregnant gals in my class now. It's happened!
(neither one is me)

:laugh: You'll have to share how you like your caps when you get them.

A friend in our class makes scrub cabs so we buy from her. I got mine free, though, because she was testing out styles for those of us with long hair (more room in the back with some elastic). Plus it was US Marines material, and I'm pretty sure that'd be a harder sell to the Canadians ;)

LIS, I think I need to get some of those countdowns going too...

TT, :eek: We haven't got any of those yet. Yet.