Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hadn't really considered getting my own scrub cap. Hmmm...

There's no one in my class who's pregnant right now that I know of, but first year we had two due just after finals of our first semester and another just had her baby right after we got done with class this June. I know of several in the 4th year class who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant though, including two couples within the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Vet: I think the time I spent in vet school...
Me: were the best years of your life?
Vet: hell no!
Me: oh good

Survived the first surgery lab, luckily just an anesthesia lab this time around. My team worked pretty well together, though having 3 shorties in one group isn't great for trying to reach the hook-ups for oxygen and scavenger and the suspended clippers and hook for the saline bag. :rolleyes: There was some undignified standing on tip toes going on.

It was a bit nuts, but we got it done without too much trouble. The new anesthesiologist at AVC is amazing. Very kinda, very patient, good at guiding you to the answer without flat out telling you and good at showing you things without treating you like you're an idiot. I did the intubation, and at first I thought I was going crazy. I've intubated dogs before and when I did it this time, all I could see was epiglottis and couldn't see the top edge of it. "See if you can find it and if you can't, keep in mind that Beagles sometimes have really long soft palates and the top edge of the epiglottis might be above it," Oh hallelujah, I'm not nuts! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I did get one very, very crucial thing done during one lecture, though. I got three little tiny countdown timers running on my desktop for 1) Christmas Break, 2) White Coat Ceremony, and 3) Graduation.

I have one for winter break and one for start of clinical rotations; 95 days to break and 240 to rotations.

Just started back this morning.... looks to be one hell of a year! :scared:

and I didn't sleep well last night, not sure why.... hoping tonight is better....

Aug. 19th or whatever day was a Monday around there.

It's weird, this semester - we have endo/derm and surgery now, and we just started toxicology on Friday. We haven't gotten to musculo, therio, or ophtho yet, but we will soon. And endo/derm will end completely as of next Wednesday. The final today was surgery, but it was a final for the lecture portion - the lab final is in October sometime.

It's weird, but I like it because it means not studying for 80 things at once, and also that finals week isn't a solid week of finals this year, since we have finals as we go.

Also! For anyone that is/was curious about my scrub caps post, they came today.

Here is who I ordered from:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Nurseheadwear

And here is my favorite of the three I ordered:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/156950469/cat-and-fish-by-hoodie-banded-bouffant?ref=favs_view_4

As you can see, the fabric she uses is just adorable. There is a lot of Tweety bird type stuff out there, presumably more for the nurses working with kids, and that's just not what I wanted. I really liked a lot in her shop.

Now, the bouffant style is a bit odd, and it does kinda make me think of a chef's hat or a shower cap when I put it on. But let's face it - not many scrub caps are actually that flattering, especially not the disposable blue ones, so hey. However, I can gather the back into a nub around my pony and tie it with a ribbon or hair tie of my own, and it's basically just like the type of caps with the ponytail holders built in. So I'm happy. And for you girls with a LOT of hair, these can hold a LOT of hair if needed.

I looked at a few other shops while I was considering options...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ScrumptiousScrubHatz

http://www.etsy.com/shop/surgihats4u

Week 2. Can't go on. Considering turning to a life of black market organ collection and sales. May give it just one more week to see.

Today: Lecture 8am-5pm. Clerk duty in hospital 6pm-12:30am.
Tomorrow: Meeting 7:30am-8am. Lecture 8am-7pm.

May not give it just one more week.

P.S. I've been using the same scrub cap since first year. Someone find me a place where I can get a decent MALE scrub cap. I like mine, but variety is nice. And I've no idea where mine came from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap, LIS, I thought it was bad enough having class all day (and never past 4:30) with crazy surgery stuff thrown in early, lunch time and late plus a lot more assignments than we're used to (quizzes, etc).

I hear you can get away with only 10% functioning kidney. Maybe sell the one and chop the other in half for maximum benefit?

I hear you can get away with only 10% functioning kidney. Maybe sell the one and chop the other in half for maximum benefit?

Oh my. I wasn't planning to sell MY kidneys. I was thinking more of the classic urban legend of waking up in a bathtub filled with ice...... I just need to dramatically disrupt my moral compass.

At my age, I probably only HAVE 10% functioning kidney. ;)

Oh my. I wasn't planning to sell MY kidneys. I was thinking more of the classic urban legend of waking up in a bathtub filled with ice...... I just need to dramatically disrupt my moral compass.

At my age, I probably only HAVE 10% functioning kidney. ;)

That might be better than the function my liver will have at your age ;)

Although my liver does regenerate..... and it plans to stick around drinking whiskey for a long time.... :smuggrin:

Therio might be my first D of vet school. I'm not even upset about that as much as I am that I chose not to go to a close friend's wedding this past weekend thinking it would help me do better. I think I would've done just as well by not studying.

At least the vast majority of my classmates feel the same. Some of us went to one girl's house and took a shot. At 9 am. It was necessary.

Edit: The class is curved automatically so that an 80+ is an A, with the normal increments of 10 on down. They tell us right off the bat that they don't FAIL anyone out (so they curve it even more after the fact), but we have that whole 10-hours-of-D's-and-you're-gone-thing that has prevented people from starting clinics in the past. They don't give us final grades until after white coat, so we can be blissfully naive during that weekend when our family and friends come in to support us lol.

Last edited:
Therio might be my first D of vet school. I'm not even upset about that as much as I am that I chose not to go to a close friend's wedding this past weekend thinking it would help me do better. I think I would've done just as well by not studying.

At least the vast majority of my classmates feel the same. Some of us went to one girl's house and took a shot. At 9 am. It was necessary.

Edit: The class is curved automatically so that an 80+ is an A, with the normal increments of 10 on down. They tell us right off the bat that they don't FAIL anyone out (so they curve it even more after the fact), but we have that whole 10-hours-of-D's-and-you're-gone-thing that has prevented people from starting clinics in the past. They don't give us final grades until after white coat, so we can be blissfully naive during that weekend when our family and friends come in to support us lol.

I have not heard good things about therio from so many people. It's really not that fun, hey? That's a little worrying since I'm particularly interested in it.

I'm :xf: for you.

well thats mean. our therio class is a disaster/nightmare so i feel your pain. i hate therio in general:(

Yeah, we're only the 3rd class to have it from these theriogenologists, so everyone who is practicing who graduated from Mizzou in the last several decades is like, "Therio is easy. I don't understand why you're expecting it to be awful." One of the vets I worked with over the summer who went to Tufts said that when she had therio it was a blow off class for her too. I haven't heard anyone talk about therio in the middle of that continuum, so it's interesting.

Didn't mean to be such a downer. The last 24 hours have felt like a week. My friends and I watched Friends and crocheted and got ice cream tonight and then realized that it is NOT Friday, and that we have class at 8 am.

Tomorrow is the qualifying exam, which we don't have to pass to start clinics. I'm not super happy about having to take it but at least they are being lenient on us and are giving us snacks in the middle.

Oh and while I was at that 9 am party, one of our deans was going around the vet school giving my classmates chocolate saying it was the "oral equivalent of a hug". Love her.

We don't have therio until later this semester but I have heard it's rough. Not really looking forward to it.

I can still smell my dog from yesterday's surgery here and there. Man. I think it was pretty sick, maybe had a clotting disorder of some sort. Phew.

One more today, then I get a break for a little bit.

Yeah, we're only the 3rd class to have it from these theriogenologists, so everyone who is practicing who graduated from Mizzou in the last several decades is like, "Therio is easy. I don't understand why you're expecting it to be awful." One of the vets I worked with over the summer who went to Tufts said that when she had therio it was a blow off class for her too. I haven't heard anyone talk about therio in the middle of that continuum, so it's interesting.

Didn't mean to be such a downer. The last 24 hours have felt like a week. My friends and I watched Friends and crocheted and got ice cream tonight and then realized that it is NOT Friday, and that we have class at 8 am.

Tomorrow is the qualifying exam, which we don't have to pass to start clinics. I'm not super happy about having to take it but at least they are being lenient on us and are giving us snacks in the middle.

Oh and while I was at that 9 am party, one of our deans was going around the vet school giving my classmates chocolate saying it was the "oral equivalent of a hug". Love her.

our boarded theriogenologist left us last semester so we have the pleasure of being taught by a guy who is a serious space cadet. he has a hard time stringing together words to make coherent sentences let alone convey any of his thoughts across to the class.

good luck on your exam! that sounds ridiculously scary, at least you aren't required to pass? snacks are good though!

Oh dear... when does therio end for you? We have exactly 4 weeks until we take the final. Joy.

our boarded theriogenologist left us last semester so we have the pleasure of being taught by a guy who is a serious space cadet. he has a hard time stringing together words to make coherent sentences let alone convey any of his thoughts across to the class.

good luck on your exam! that sounds ridiculously scary, at least you aren't required to pass? snacks are good though!

Oh, that blows! We have another theriogenologist, but after he did that, he decided to become a toxicologist, so now that's what he does. He's insane and the nicest person ever and I would LOVE if he taught us. I can say that our therio people running the class do a great job TEACHING but the tests are freaking insane.

Thanks for the luck! I'm sure it will be fine. Some of my classmates looked at sample questions and said it won't be too stressful. More just a time sink than anything...

Oh, that blows! We have another theriogenologist, but after he did that, he decided to become a toxicologist, so now that's what he does. He's insane and the nicest person ever and I would LOVE if he taught us. I can say that our therio people running the class do a great job TEACHING but the tests are freaking insane.

Thanks for the luck! I'm sure it will be fine. Some of my classmates looked at sample questions and said it won't be too stressful. More just a time sink than anything...

WEIRD! our therio guy has some sort of repro based PhD and normally teaches toxicology here. seems like a strange progression to me but apparently not?

Good luck with your repro guys :luck: So glad to have it out of the way, but it was one of my highest grades last semester somehow :confused: Our professor was so scatterbrained but his test questions were pretty fair and he had detailed notes he handed out.

I think that if I crawled into bed right now I would fall asleep instantly. I'm force feeding myself caffiene in the hopes of having enough brain power to finish my surgery/anesthesia assignment due tomorrow but honestly, I just want to face plant into bed. How is it that this semester has barely begun!?

I think that if I crawled into bed right now I would fall asleep instantly. I'm force feeding myself caffiene in the hopes of having enough brain power to finish my surgery/anesthesia assignment due tomorrow but honestly, I just want to face plant into bed. How is it that this semester has barely begun!?

That's how I felt after we did the anesthesia lab last week. It was like I used up all my energy and focus in that four-five hours, and I was DONE for the rest of the day, even though there were still three more lectures in the afternoon. Really, AVC?! Three lectures after surgery? I know we can't let the other half of the class off the hook totally, but does it have to be a full afternoon? :thumbdown:

Seriously! By the last lecture, I was at that almost-drunk state that I hit when I'm super-tired and I was laughing so hard at all of Dr. F's jokes (I usually laugh at them anyway, but this time they were hilaaaarious!)

First week complete of 3rd year.... I am already physically and mentally drained... my schedule is ridiculous... yay..... this should be an interesting year

First week complete of 3rd year.... I am already physically and mentally drained... my schedule is ridiculous... yay..... this should be an interesting year

drained after week 1? thats not a good sign :( i came out of week 1 feeling pretty darn good...and then weeks 2 and 3 hit. :eek:

Scheduled my first externship for 4th year today :eek: This is all going so fast! Now....just need to do the other 5.....

Fought with sugery cat repeatedly to get a blood sample. Finally arrange for a tech to help us this morning, only to find out that our surgery cat's URTI has progressed, so we have a new surgery cat. Spend all of my lunch hour today doing the physical exam and trying to draw blood from the new surgery cat. Still have to care for other surgery cat until he's officially discharged on Friday. Surgery is already consuming my life and this is only the first live one.

I do like our large animal medical exercises class though. We did wound sutures on horse cadaver legs today. I love my group, we work really well together, and the whole time I kept thinking, "Finally! Something I might really use!" :laugh:

3 more weeks of class until we are done with this lecture-based crap.

In the next week, we have 3 quizzes, 3 tests and a CPCR lab. Unfortunately, therio is on Friday so there is no "downhill" until Friday at 8 am, but then I have class until 4.

The next week is a bit of a break, and then it's finals week with 6 finals spread over 5 days (better than 6 finals over 3 days last block).

That Sat, I'm going to the KC zoo and Sunday is white coat.

I'm a little peeved because we were supposed to be having assignments over the summer and during this block that would have helped us learn UVIS before actually having cases, but that hasn't happened so that's another thing I hope I pick up on quickly...

I'm a little peeved because we were supposed to be having assignments over the summer and during this block that would have helped us learn UVIS before actually having cases, but that hasn't happened so that's another thing I hope I pick up on quickly...

I dunno how heavily modified UVIS is from one place to the next, but if your installation is like our installation, it's not hard to learn how to use.

It is, on the other hand, kludgy with a crappy user interface. So: easy to learn, but painful to use.

I dunno how heavily modified UVIS is from one place to the next, but if your installation is like our installation, it's not hard to learn how to use.

It is, on the other hand, kludgy with a crappy user interface. So: easy to learn, but painful to use.

That's good to know! Most people have a certain tone in their voice when talking about it so I try not to stay on that topic too long :p

I forgot you were 2+2 at Mizzou - crazy that you're getting your white coat! Congrats! :)

And I'm in the same boat as Coquette - so very little motivation to learn about cow diseases right now...

Thanks! I'm so so so pumped to not sit in class day in and day out anymore.

When do you start clinics?

It's funny how you look forward to clinics and then you get to clinics and wish you could go back to the classroom. I like clinics for the most part but it sucks to never know when you'll be home, not have weekends off, get called in for stupid things, etc. You can tell me that this is how it's going to be upon graduation, but you would be wrong. I will be working at a general practice where I know my weekend schedule ahead of time and there is no "on-call."

Yeah, Bearby, you bring up a good point. I haven't experienced it firsthand, but watching my husband be in clinics for the last year and a half has made me jealous. I have seen how much his schedule sucks, especially since he wants to go into surgery (so on top of the ridiculous surgery rotation schedule, he has volunteered to go in early and stay late and go in on days off more times than I can count), but I'd still rather be in his shoes.

[long story short] It's just been this roller coaster for 3 years and I'm ready to get off the damn ride.

Last edited:
Yikes, scbf. There have been some eyebrow-raising things around here, too - the biggest one this semester has been them giving us each a bottle of hydromorphone for surgery...which we use a fraction of and discard the rest instead of sharing amongst the class. Same for our anesthetic induction agent (alphaxalone, not available in the US) - "Draw up 3cc" for a cat neuter when we needed half a cc...and then they want to charge us $5 for a pack of suture material to practice with because of "budget cuts"? :uhno:

I'm ready to get off the vet school ride in general. Blergh.

Yikes, scbf. There have been some eyebrow-raising things around here, too - the biggest one this semester has been them giving us each a bottle of hydromorphone for surgery...which we use a fraction of and discard the rest instead of sharing amongst the class. Same for our anesthetic induction agent (alphaxalone, not available in the US) - "Draw up 3cc" for a cat neuter when we needed half a cc...and then they want to charge us $5 for a pack of suture material to practice with because of "budget cuts"? :uhno:

Shouldn't the almost 1000$ hike in everyone's tuition this year cover practice suture material? These "budget cuts" are getting to be ridiculous.

Well yeah, that all seems reasonable..........

Shouldn't the almost 1000$ hike in everyone's tuition this year cover practice suture material? These "budget cuts" are getting to be ridiculous.

You would thnk. Or maybe dumping a bunch of professors. Meanwhile in jr surgery, we continue to waste drugs. That crap is going to be all over my course eval...

It's funny how you look forward to clinics and then you get to clinics and wish you could go back to the classroom.

I don't! ;)

There are things about clinics that suck sure, but if someone told me I had to repeat a year of classroom BS in order to graduate I would quit vet school right now.