Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is the best week of vet school. Today, I did a tail amputation on a bearded dragon. :D
I am jealous.

Members don't see this ad.

I am jealous.

We're lucky to have an awesome vet who runs our exotics/lab animal rotation who goes out of his way to find cases for us and basically insists on his rotation students doing just about everything.

Today we did cadaver surgeries - rat castration and rat ovariohysterectomy. Considering I've never even done a cat or dog OHE, it was fun to do my first one on a rat.

Hi guys!!! :hello: I've kind of fallen off the SDN bus with life taking off full speed but reading up on everyone is great! :highfive:I'm taking boards December 1st. I'm having major anxiety about it. I know its irrational but I'm waking up in the middle of the night in pure fits of terror so I'm looking forward to being done with that....

I've fallen head over heels with a practice that I want to intern at. Hopefully they will feel the same when it comes time for the match! I wasn't originally planning on doing an internship - but I'm willing to do it for this practice so all my fingers are crossed. If not...well.....:diebanana:

Awake on one of my boards-induced insomnia stretches so I apologize if this is a bit loopy. :bang:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!!! :hello: I've kind of fallen off the SDN bus with life taking off full speed but reading up on everyone is great! :highfive:I'm taking boards December 1st. I'm having major anxiety about it. I know its irrational but I'm waking up in the middle of the night in pure fits of terror so I'm looking forward to being done with that....

I've fallen head over heals with a practice that I want to intern at. Hopefully they will feel the same when it comes time for the match! I wasn't originally planning on doing an internship - but I'm willing to do it for this practice so all my fingers are crossed. If not...well.....:diebanana:

Awake on one of my boards-induced insomnia stretches so I apologize if this is a bit loopy. :bang:
:hello:

Hang in there! And good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Deb is serious about this...hide yer bananers, people. Boards will be just fine though. :)

I kinda disappeared, too. I've been off of clinics for several months because of health problems, though I did get through onco and ICU. In early March, I developed an as-yet undiagnosed progressive myopathy that is strongly suspected to be mitochondrial myopathy, which would also explain the new onset dysautonomia and the milder but still weird health problems in some of my other family members. My proximal legs are most affected, followed in no particular order by extraocular muscles, diaphragm, shoulders, and lower paraspinals. Fatigue/use, dehydration, etc., make it worse, so there is some day to day variation, but I am able to walk short distances. I have a secondhand power wheelchair that I use when I leave the house, an ancient but serviceable converted minivan (yay for Craigslist deals), and a serious-looking citrus branch walking stick for when I get up out of my chair.

I am starting anatomic path tomorrow as the first UCD student to go through the VMTH in a wheelchair. I have encountered skeptics at the school but I've been lucky to have some awesome mentors and advocates who helped me get to this point and win over the skeptics. Cr*p, now I'm tearing up...I'll technically get my diploma and license next fall after I make up the rotations I missed, but I'll still roll across the stage with Deb (watch your ankles) and the rest. Obviously, the whole large animal hands-on thing isn't practical, but I'm turning into a small animal IM nerd and thinking of doing a residency.

Reactions: 6 users
I am starting anatomic path tomorrow as the first UCD student to go through the VMTH in a wheelchair. I have encountered skeptics at the school but I've been lucky to have some awesome mentors and advocates who helped me get to this point and win over the skeptics. Cr*p, now I'm tearing up...I'll technically get my diploma and license next fall after I make up the rotations I missed, but I'll still roll across the stage with Deb (watch your ankles) and the rest. Obviously, the whole large animal hands-on thing isn't practical, but I'm turning into a small animal IM nerd and thinking of doing a residency.
Screw the skeptics. People should be supportive and inspired.
I don't get them, and props to you for overcoming.

Really, screw anyone with the smallest negative glance, word, or thought.

Reactions: 3 users
Screw the skeptics. People should be supportive and inspired.
I don't get them, and props to you for overcoming.

Really, screw anyone with the smallest negative glance, word, or thought.

That. I can't believe anyone would be negative about this. Props to anyone that pursues anything with a disability and is willing to face obstacles head on.

So I'm enjoying medicine. We've had a steady caseload but not nearly the drowning feeling that I had throughout surgery. There have been some sad cases - the shelter is having a panleukopenia outbreak right now and euthanizing a bunch of kittens is really no fun at all - but also some happy endings that make up for it :)

I have a LOT looming right now, though: paper due end of October, presentation mid-November, NAVLE prep and residency application decisions. I'm trying to remain calm but maybe a hint of panic would be good for me right about now...

I'm pushing send on my residency applications tomorrow. My adviser read over the second draft of my letter of career goals today (first one was 'okay') and said it was great. Everything is all together in school-specific folders on my computer waiting to be attached to emails. This is a nerve-wracking as applying to vet school was. I am pretty happy with my school selections...here's hoping one of them offers me a spot.

I have a LOT looming right now, though: paper due end of October, presentation mid-November, NAVLE prep and residency application decisions. I'm trying to remain calm but maybe a hint of panic would be good for me right about now...

Moving back to Maryland, beer with me....

So I'm enjoying medicine. We've had a steady caseload but not nearly the drowning feeling that I had throughout surgery. There have been some sad cases - the shelter is having a panleukopenia outbreak right now and euthanizing a bunch of kittens is really no fun at all - but also some happy endings that make up for it :)

Just go with it. When the time comes, the panic will, too. Try to keep plugging away at SOMETHING every day. Also, yay medicine!

I'm pushing send on my residency applications tomorrow. My adviser read over the second draft of my letter of career goals today (first one was 'okay') and said it was great. Everything is all together in school-specific folders on my computer waiting to be attached to emails. This is a nerve-wracking as applying to vet school was. I am pretty happy with my school selections...here's hoping one of them offers me a spot.

Good luck!

Thanks, Coquette, SOV, and dyachei. I am absofreakinglutely exhausted at the end of each day, even though we only spend the afternoon on the path floor, and wonder sometimes how I'm going to survive the week, but I got a ventilator with a setup for non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (through a mouthpiece or mask), so once that gets fully set up I will be able to breathe AND sleep at the SAME TIME. What a concept. My diaphragm needs its a** kicked.

I haven't decided what I'm going to try to do with my life yet.

I'm on soft tissue surgery now. It's fun but I am sick and feel crappy. I was supposed to do my first spay on a client-owned animal today but I had a fever last night and feel worse today so the surgeons gave me the okay to stay home. When I looked at the schedule, the spay no-showed anyway so I'm glad I didn't go in, except I am missing a busy day of surgery :(

Members don't see this ad :)
there are so many days when i think "gosh, i just don't know if i want to be a veterinarian anymore." i've forgotten nearly everything i've learned from years 1-3 and i've lost my drive and desire to work hard and be an intelligent human being. i wish i had a normal life - normal hours, normal pay, normal things to fret about. instead i get to neglect my animals and my life for the satisfaction of my clinicians and clients.

there are so many days when i think "gosh, i just don't know if i want to be a veterinarian anymore." i've forgotten nearly everything i've learned from years 1-3 and i've lost my drive and desire to work hard and be an intelligent human being. i wish i had a normal life - normal hours, normal pay, normal things to fret about. instead i get to neglect my animals and my life for the satisfaction of my clinicians and clients.

Right about when you're feeling that way is when some snotty second year asks you a question about some some pathway catalyst in physiology, you stare at them thinking "Are you kidding?", and they say "Geez? Don't you remember??!!"

Right about when you're feeling that way is when some snotty second year asks you a question about some some pathway catalyst in physiology, you stare at them thinking "Are you kidding?", and they say "Geez? Don't you remember??!!"

Geez, LIS why can't you answer all the questions I send you? :p

Actually, you have answered the questions I have asked you really well, especially that last one when I just couldn't brain.

I ran into a first year at the gym the other day. He recognized me as being a fourth year (and somehow knew my name...). He asked me how much of the tendons and ligaments he needed to remember. My response was something to the effect of, "Do you have any idea how long ago that was!?" Then I muttered something about cranial cruciates. I'm not sure I was helpful.

I ran into a first year at the gym the other day. He recognized me as being a fourth year (and somehow knew my name...). He asked me how much of the tendons and ligaments he needed to remember. My response was something to the effect of, "Do you have any idea how long ago that was!?" Then I muttered something about cranial cruciates. I'm not sure I was helpful.

Even in third year, I vaguely recall that stuff. During surgery last week our patient had siderofibrotic plaque all over the surface of the spleen...couldn't really see much normal spleen. One of the surgery residents was asking us what it was... I was lucky enough to get "it starts with an s and ends in plaque".

Geez, LIS why can't you answer all the questions I send you? :p

Actually, you have answered the questions I have asked you really well, especially that last one when I just couldn't brain.

Hey now - that was a clinically relevant question. There's a much higher chance ... at least all the way to 33% ... that I'll have an answer for those questions. :)

But now I don't remember what the question was.

Hey now - that was a clinically relevant question. There's a much higher chance ... at least all the way to 33% ... that I'll have an answer for those questions. :)

But now I don't remember what the question was.

:laugh:

Had to do with fluids. Lactate in LRS and why not use in... umm... some disease that I can't remember now. We rock this memory thing! ;)

I'm sorry jmo :( Is it a particularly rough rotation or are you feeling crappy in all of them?

Not the greatest few days at the hospital. Interesting cases and all but not many happy outcomes. I think I shall start my personal record book in vet med with my patient's total WBC of 0.4 and an absolute neutropenia...

It is here. I think it was only offered twice through the year. It ended up being a really nice review. Especially for the pig and chicken viruses.

Nifty. I could use that rotation.

And bacteriology.

And parasitology.

And, um, pharmacology.

And a swine rotation.

And an avian rotation.

... oh crap.

Reactions: 2 users
Nifty. I could use that rotation.

And bacteriology.

And parasitology.

And, um, pharmacology.

And a swine rotation.

And an avian rotation.

... oh crap.
those 1st 3 are incorporated into the necropsy and clin path rotations with virology, nutrition, and immuno in the mix there too

Life is pretty good. Almost done with small animal med - on call tonight, in to feed the pigeons tomorrow morning and then I'm free. Moving on to another intimidating rotation but it's only one week which I should be able to survive. Made some progress on Match applications and the husband and I will be finalizing my list sometime this weekend. Got some more work done on my clinical conference paper last night on my ICU shift since it was quiet. Have been reading some great books courtesy of my awesome friend who keeps me supplied.

I can't believe it's just under six weeks until I leave school and this island for good :eek:

I like this idea.

Though the first thing that jumped in my head when I read pet therapist was the people that contact pets from beyond the grave for their grieving owners.
Hmmm. that seems like an awfully easy con.

Your <insert animal name here> misses you. It was so loved. It liked to be fed. Your time together meant everything to him/her. Pay me $200.

Well, you are allowing him into your clinic at some point in the future to do all the surgeries for you. He could steal it then. Just make sure it isn't in the surgery room that you have him locked in. :)
my license number is something I have memorized. It isn't just written down anywhere.

You can look up license numbers of most professionals on state websites. I know mine is available there.