Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
5/6 I applied to have chosen someone else already. One school asked for my GRE scores two weeks ago but hasn't told me of a decision either way yet, but I guess this year's CP applicant pool was filled with people who had done rotating internships so my chances of getting one right out of school are not the best.

I have all my stuff for the match submitted (major relief!) so I'm focusing on that now. I'm applying for 20 programs so hopefully I'll match somewhere. I know it'll make me a better pathologist in the long run to have practice experience so I'm not too upset anymore.

Well I'm sorry it didn't work out as planned, but I think you're right about having some practice experience under your belt :)

Good luck to everyone going through the match :luck: (Also to people looking for jobs!)

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got the last of my externals officially nailed down. Have been done semester's rotations for two weeks (first of which was NAVLE studying) and now I have nothing to do. I straightening up our living spot, read one book, watched some TV, don't have Netflix...and my first rotation after break doesn't start until Jan 26th! I have zero idea what I'm going to do in that time! I looked into volunteering with the local humane society but they want a year's commitment which I obviously can't give. I've got friends to catch up with but they have jobs so I can only do that one weekends when I'm usually busy anyway. I feel like I'm going crazy and I'm only a week into doing nothing. :help:

With impeccable timing, my coach's horse decided to pick a fight with a metal gate. Why is her timing so good? Because I'm at my parents' house now which is just up the road. So I'm around to help clean wounds and change bandages and give injections (with approval from her vet who knows me). It's incredibly weird to have my coach, who has 50+ years of horse care experience, asking me for advice. It's like I woke up in bizarro world.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got the last of my externals officially nailed down. Have been done semester's rotations for two weeks (first of which was NAVLE studying) and now I have nothing to do. I straightening up our living spot, read one book, watched some TV, don't have Netflix...and my first rotation after break doesn't start until Jan 26th! I have zero idea what I'm going to do in that time! I looked into volunteering with the local humane society but they want a year's commitment which I obviously can't give. I've got friends to catch up with but they have jobs so I can only do that one weekends when I'm usually busy anyway. I feel like I'm going crazy and I'm only a week into doing nothing. :help:
i am more than happy to trade lives for a few weeks, i would LOVE to have some time to myself. unfortunately i dont get that until June when i graduate...:(

I know we talked about weekend plans but if you want to come to work with me (aka for me) I'm sure I can arrange something...

Right now, I am caught up on records, I am caught up on competency tracking (weird thing we have to do for every patient here at Davis), studying for boards is done, internship apps are in......and I will most likely not be seeing a patient until tomorrow morning......I've gone to the bathroom and eaten something....WHAT DO I DO NOW????
;)

Right now, I am caught up on records, I am caught up on competency tracking (weird thing we have to do for every patient here at Davis), studying for boards is done, internship apps are in......and I will most likely not be seeing a patient until tomorrow morning......I've gone to the bathroom and eaten something....WHAT DO I DO NOW????
;)

Or you can sleep... sleep is always good. :)

Or you can sleep... sleep is always good. :)

Not yet. :) I'm still stuck in Cardio land until we're released for the day. Rumor has it they aren't so understanding of student "syncopal episodes" during the day. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
starry-eyed pre-vet student-->stays at exteternship for as many hours as humanly possible
4th year vet student-->sneaks out the door ASAP when the requisite hours are in

my how life has changed ;)

starry-eyed pre-vet student-->stays at exteternship for as many hours as humanly possible

You frickin' know it.

"What's that? There's one more case coming in and somebody else has it? Peace out, yo, see ya tomorrow, I'm bouncin'!"

You frickin' know it.

"What's that? There's one more case coming in and somebody else has it? Peace out, yo, see ya tomorrow, I'm bouncin'!"
something walked in at 445 today and i was like hmmmmm fastest escape route? i've been here 9 hours and this is an externship...quietly creep away

It makes you feel like you're doing something right when you visit the service you hope to join for the upcoming year and one of the clinicians comes up and asks if you can start an internship now because they are swamped :)

Also, anesthesia rocks.

Reactions: 2 users
It makes you feel like you're doing something right when you visit the service you hope to join for the upcoming year and one of the clinicians comes up and asks if you can start an internship now because they are swamped :)

Also, anesthesia rocks.

I so miss anesthesia. I feel so much more at home on that service.

So true. I totally used that to bargain with interns/residents. "If I stay and take this case and do all the paperwork for it, can I do that awesome looking lac repair!?"

Worked for me, since I hated being the "me! me! me!" person during the day when mobs of students fight over precious few procedures. Got more experience without harboring resentment, and showed initiative doing it :)

So true. I totally used that to bargain with interns/residents. "If I stay and take this case and do all the paperwork for it, can I do that awesome looking lac repair!?"

Worked for me, since I hated being the "me! me! me!" person during the day when mobs of students fight over precious few procedures. Got more experience without harboring resentment, and showed initiative doing it :)
thats awesome - i spend too much time worrying that i'm just in the way or being a pest (and then theres that ridiculous fear of rejection, someone should have beat that out of me as a child! haha)

Also, anesthesia rocks.

This is awesome!!!!

euthanized an animal for the first time today :(

SGU finally scheduled the SVM graduation ceremony date and sent it out yesterday. a bunch of people are freaking out because it's Tuesday, several people will likely have to miss it because it coincides with a lot of internship start dates (or is just a day or two before), and a few people wont actually be done with rotations by then. and then there's always the special self centered one who comments that omg her best friend's wedding is right around then and she wouldnt want to miss the wedding!!! sometimes i just wish i could reach through a computer screen and slap people. news flash, your personal events are your own problem!:eyebrow:

Well the day off was fun. I started knitting with some alpaca yarn that I received as a gift (definitely something I would not have spent the money on for myself). One of my best friends and I were on call yesterday for anesthesia so we watched several movies together. The night before, we took a couple of hours to drive around town and look at peoples' lights/decorations. It was a lot of fun and definitely one of the most relaxing Christmases I've experienced.

Back to the grindstone today though. I think lots of services pushed procedures off until today, which was silly because we still only have 4 students on (normally we have 8-10). Ohhh well.

if one more person asks how much longer i'm on vacation...:boom:i am not on vacation people, i've had a total of 5 days off in 9 weeks.

Yeah that is the worst... I tallied it up, and having equine followed by all the surgeries, I didn't get a day off for almost 4 months. I hated community practice, but at least there weren't many weekend duties.

Yeah that is the worst... I tallied it up, and having equine followed by all the surgeries, I didn't get a day off for almost 4 months. I hated community practice, but at least there weren't many weekend duties.

Yupper. I was just meeting with the owners of one of my patients and they made the offhanded comment "well, at least this happened over the holidays when we have time off to deal with it."

Hahahahahahaha. Time off. Right. Good one!

(Their comment totally wasn't directed at me, and I totally understand what they meant. Still. It made me laugh.)

Welp, we graduate this year. How did that happen?

Once more unto the breach today. Companion Animal Med II. I have an awesome group of rotation-mates, so that makes things better. Twelve more weeks on this god forsaken island, then three in Louisiana and I'm done!

gee ncsu, thanks for letting me know that for my 2nd to last block, i can either do an externship (which i may or may not get full credit for - unsure), or take a large animal course (most of which require instructor approval), or take an instructor approval only course.
:boom:

gee ncsu, thanks for letting me know that for my 2nd to last block, i can either do an externship (which i may or may not get full credit for - unsure), or take a large animal course (most of which require instructor approval), or take an instructor approval only course.
:boom:
and i apparently have to work extra days to earn credit. awesome.

I've heard through the grapevine that the place I decided to apply for an internship is having their meeting today. Of course, they are still part of the match so it won't change anything but it is kind of exciting that things are moving forward....

A rotation-mate needed to swap some on-call/ICU shifts because she's gone during the last weekend of the rotation. We ended up swapping my on-call shift tonight with her shift that last weekend. When I left around 5:30, there were two emergencies on their way in. I kinda felt bad. I did pick up some supper for her though.... But I'm not gonna lie, now that I'm home and in my pyjamas, I'm pretty damn happy.

Had a last minute interview request from a third program last night, spoke to them this morning. I also emailed two programs that I hadn't been invited to interview with and pretty much said, "You didn't like me but I like you...should I still rank you?" (Not those words exactly, but yanno.) I know it'll all work out in the end but agh.

I'm getting pretty fidgety for my next rotation to start. Let's get this show on the road!

I'm getting pretty fidgety for my next rotation to start. Let's get this show on the road!

I'm in absolutely no hurry (I'm in the middle of my block)!! I just spent the last week up in Duluth spaying and neutering all week at a high vol place; what a great learning experience. My surgery time is easily cut in half after one week, and I feel a LOT better about it overall. One more week to keep improving.

Ironically, my next rotation is Small Animal Surgery .... which is going to be quite a let-down from this rotation where I'm actually learning useful skill. On SAS I'm going to be back in full-time paperwork mode. Yippee.

The residency hunt has been completely fruitless. I have a few applications to clinics in right now, and a quick preliminary interview for one of them tomorrow night.

I'm in absolutely no hurry (I'm in the middle of my block)!! I just spent the last week up in Duluth spaying and neutering all week at a high vol place; what a great learning experience. My surgery time is easily cut in half after one week, and I feel a LOT better about it overall. One more week to keep improving.

Ironically, my next rotation is Small Animal Surgery .... which is going to be quite a let-down from this rotation where I'm actually learning useful skill. On SAS I'm going to be back in full-time paperwork mode. Yippee.

I've been on vacation since the beginning of December. After I got NAVLE out of the way, I had holiday stuff to keep me occupied. Now I'm doing a lot of nothing, which (for me personally) gets old quick so many days in succession.

That's awesome about your surgery skills! Hell, I felt 10x more confident after doing like five spays and neuters in community practice. It's definitely not my strong suit - nor a strong interest for me - but something I wanted to be more comfortable with, which I think I accomplished. For our SAS rotation, it was a lot of watching, but I did get to drill and place a TPLO screw, saw some bone for a luxating patella, etc. I also got to help remove the spleen and a SQ lump on a classmate's dog, so that was a bit of fun too. Overall not so bad as I imagined - fingers crossed you get a little fun thrown your way.

Trying to finalize my rank list today and I've selected my first and bottom 3 programs but have no idea how I'm going to rank the rest argh.

on my 2 week required senior radiology rotation, the radiology fairies gave to me...7 quizzes (4 open book), 1 review exam, 1 mini final exam, 1 final exam, 6 written reports, 5 placement competencies, 5 daily rounds cases (and clinic rounds), 170 radiograph case examples and a group project! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! i'm already tired...

Wow that's pretty intense!!! Must be because Thrall is there hahaha

on my 2 week required senior radiology rotation, the radiology fairies gave to me...7 quizzes (4 open book), 1 review exam, 1 mini final exam, 1 final exam, 6 written reports, 5 placement competencies, 5 daily rounds cases (and clinic rounds), 170 radiograph case examples and a group project! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! i'm already tired...

Sigh.

Yeah. There's two things standing in the way of me being a licensed DVM: board results and my radiology rotation. Pretty sure I can pass the rest of my remaining rotations.