Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting to get nervous now. Took me 15mins to find my stethoscope and I almost had a meltdown over that alone. Had to go get a couple new pairs of pants because apparently I'm fat. Am now at the stage where I'm wondering if I should review my notes and where the hell I'd even start. Add on the disease that's been plaguing me since last Friday and I'm a little bit of a wreck. I know once I just get my feet wet I'll be fine (or better than I am now, at least) but ugh!

Don't review notes. If you need to do something- Do review specific protocols of the clinic- vaccine schedules, spay/neuter recommendations, etc. review the anesthetic drugs they stock if it's different than what you are used to. Give yourself a crash course in state specific things if you are feeling rusty- not that we get anything too wacky, but maybe review state rabies regs and things like that.

If you are ever alone in the building, keep your phone handy and your contact list updated with people you call or text to bounce ideas or questions off of.

Beyond that, Dr Google is your friend (only sort of kidding!). Merck is a good quick searchable website for basics if you need to refresh your memory before explaining something to an owner. VIN too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If you need something to do, make a quick list of very commonly used drugs/dosage/size/age of animal you can prescribe to. Like cerenia, Convenia, metronidazole, simplicef, cephalexin, clavamox, amoxicillin, gabapentin, zeniquin, orbax, rimadyl, meloxicam, other NSAIDs, etc... That you are likely going to need to prescribe during an outpatient visit and might not have too much time to look up. A lot of endocrine things and such, you'll have time to look it up later since you're usually waiting on bloodwork and such anyway. Sedation protocols are helpful too.

If there isn't one readily available to you at your job, I'd order Cote's vet advisor.

I think I have a job. We are just talking numbers now.

Moving in two weeks.

Sooooo glad to not be a fourth year. I don't know why it hit me today, but it did. Gonna reupholster a chair and then sleep in.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The doc at my clinic who usually sees exotics is out sick, so I've been getting them. I had a guinea pig with her 3 2-day old babies on Thursday and a hairless rat yesterday. :D I hope he feels better but it's great to be able to start building my exotics client base.

Reactions: 4 users
LIS's 1st solo night as an ER doc: "Hey Dr. LIS, I've got something for you!"

LIS: "Oh you shouldn't have! How nice! What is it?"

LIS's 1st solo night as an ER doc: "Your ass. Here you go. I'm handing it to you."

Wow.

Reactions: 6 users
Less than a week until I start my internship. In the meantime, I'm driving with my sister to visit my grandma. When I come back, I'm meeting some of the boy's family (it's his birthday this weekend). Getting pretty nervous, but he's confident things will go well with his family and my job. Fingers crossed he's right.

I sent slides to AVC for cytology. When the report came back, my name was spelled wrong. Ugh. So glad they remember me.

Lol how nice of them!

Well things have gone well so far with the bf's parents. He told me that when I went to the bathroom, his mom said I was sweet and that I was beautiful and have nice teeth :p so that's flattering and hilarious. Meeting them tomorrow to spend the day with them, and for once, I'm really looking forward to getting to know a guy's mother.

This is serving as a great distraction from the fact I start work on Monday! Holy ****. :help:

Reactions: 1 user
Lol how nice of them!

Well things have gone well so far with the bf's parents. He told me that when I went to the bathroom, his mom said I was sweet and that I was beautiful and have nice teeth :p so that's flattering and hilarious. Meeting them tomorrow to spend the day with them, and for once, I'm really looking forward to getting to know a guy's mother.

This is serving as a great distraction from the fact I start work on Monday! Holy ****. :help:

What the heck, are you some kind of horse? "Yeah, her conformation is great and her teeth look good. Let's set up the pre-buy and get this deal goin!"

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, it's something I've heard my own mom say about others so I guess I never thought of it that way lol

Honestly, it's something I've heard my own mom say about others so I guess I never thought of it that way lol

I hope it was obvious I was just teasing you a bit. It just sounded so much like a horse pre-buy evaluation that I couldn't resist.

I hope it was obvious I was just teasing you a bit. It just sounded so much like a horse pre-buy evaluation that I couldn't resist.

Lol yeah, it was really funny

Today was the day that turns people off of ER medicine. Euth'd 6.5 animals and every other case I saw but 1 was "no, we don't want any diagnostics, can't we just take some meds home"? And was there for 16 hours of my 12-hr shift.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today was the day that turns people off of ER medicine. Euth'd 6.5 animals and every other case I saw but 1 was "no, we don't want any diagnostics, can't we just take some meds home"? And was there for 16 hours of my 12-hr shift.

I think there was only one day of working ER that I didn't euthanize at least 3 pets. As a rule it was almost always 3 pets per shift. I could count on it.

One night it was 2am and I was like wow awesome I only killed one animal today. Then two walk ins came in within minutes of each other for euthanasia. At that point we were such efficient killing machines that it only took 30 min from the time they walked in to the time both walked out to have the paperwork done, catheters in, pets euthanized, condolences offered, and paw prints made between me and my two staff members. And both sets of owners left feeling good with the experience (or at least as good as they could feel about such a thing). After that, we were kind of sad how efficient and robotic that was.

The sadder part is that I get way more thank you cards from the people whose pet I euthanized, than for the pets' lives I heroically save (that *I* feel good about).

I think there was only one day of working ER that I didn't euthanize at least 3 pets. As a rule it was almost always 3 pets per shift. I could count on it.

One night it was 2am and I was like wow awesome I only killed one animal today. Then two walk ins came in within minutes of each other for euthanasia. At that point we were such efficient killing machines that it only took 30 min from the time they walked in to the time both walked out to have the paperwork done, catheters in, pets euthanized, condolences offered, and paw prints made between me and my two staff members. And both sets of owners left feeling good with the experience (or at least as good as they could feel about such a thing). After that, we were kind of sad how efficient and robotic that was.

The sadder part is that I get way more thank you cards from the people whose pet I euthanized, than for the pets' lives I heroically save (that *I* feel good about).

You must have typically had more than I do on a shift... I feel like 2-3 is about average for my 12-hr shifts. The 6.5 I had last night was high.

My staff are pretty efficient as well. I typically don't even realize I have a euthanasia on deck until they come tell me that it's ready and waiting in our comfort room for me. About all I do is verify that I'm euth'ing for a reason I find acceptable, and then go do it. I appreciate that they've taken the time to ask what conditions I wouldn't euth under, and what drug protocol I like, so that they can just manage the entire process up to the point that they hand me drugs and shoo me into the room.

You must have typically had more than I do on a shift... I feel like 2-3 is about average for my 12-hr shifts. The 6.5 I had last night was high.

My staff are pretty efficient as well. I typically don't even realize I have a euthanasia on deck until they come tell me that it's ready and waiting in our comfort room for me. About all I do is verify that I'm euth'ing for a reason I find acceptable, and then go do it. I appreciate that they've taken the time to ask what conditions I wouldn't euth under, and what drug protocol I like, so that they can just manage the entire process up to the point that they hand me drugs and shoo me into the room.

Wow LIS, Sounds like you have a great support staff! Sorry about your rough night - hopefully your next shift is better!

OK, I have to ask... How do you euthanize 6.5 animals? The 6 I get, it's the 0.5 that I'm having trouble with. How do you euthanize half a pet?

OK, I have to ask... How do you euthanize 6.5 animals? The 6 I get, it's the 0.5 that I'm having trouble with. How do you euthanize half a pet?

Maybe 0.5 because it was pretty much dead when it got there? Ive heard Vets in my ER tech days refer to the darn near dead ones that way.

So my state board finally got back to me after my application submission...so that I can REGISTER for a license, which they say could take up to another 2 weeks. And all the extra paperwork just asks for information that was included on my original application. So yeah, now I have to wait more, submit another $325 for pretty much no reason. SO frustrating, especially since I submitted back in April.

First week of work went pretty well. I'm shadowing the docs, learning their paperwork process and hospital protocols, etc. Everyone is super nice and I got to do some drop offs (exams, vaccines) and observe some surgeries. Scheduling is great. Apparently I start seeing my own appointments in about two weeks time. Also, in the most exciting news, we close on our first house in two weeks :D SUPER excited.

So my state board finally got back to me after my application submission...so that I can REGISTER for a license, which they say could take up to another 2 weeks. And all the extra paperwork just asks for information that was included on my original application. So yeah, now I have to wait more, submit another $325 for pretty much no reason. SO frustrating, especially since I submitted back in April.

First week of work went pretty well. I'm shadowing the docs, learning their paperwork process and hospital protocols, etc. Everyone is super nice and I got to do some drop offs (exams, vaccines) and observe some surgeries. Scheduling is great. Apparently I start seeing my own appointments in about two weeks time. Also, in the most exciting news, we close on our first house in two weeks :D SUPER excited.

Took them two months to sort out all my application and license stuff. I ended up making multiple trips to Annapolis because different people were telling me different things, come to find out the only person who looks at the paperwork was on vacation. MD sucks in that regard.

I'm glad to hear this process is annoying to someone else, I'm so tired of this all already!

I'm glad to hear this process is annoying to someone else, I'm so tired of this all already!
Yeah seriously, that was the most annoying process ever. I thought I had jumped through all the hoops and was just waiting for my license. Then I'm told "congratulations, your application has been approved and you can be licensed in this state. Now please send another check of $$ to finalize the process." Why the eff couldn't they just ask for that money up front rather than needing to delay the process by like another week!?!?

Reactions: 1 users
There's a tiny part of me that is happy that someone has a more annoying process than NS. Which wasn't difficult, just drawn out in that there was a huge stack of documents to send out, and I had to do it in stages as I got said documents. I finally got everything completed on Monday.

this state really sucks for licensing.
They be sent me at least 5 letters throughout the process telling me what else they need. To be fair, I'm waiting on NCSU to get their act together (because 5-6 weeks to get my transcript for 1 year!together is completely ridiculous, but at least SGU will be speedy once they finally have it) as my last step

I didn't really physically do all of the euth on that one; one of my staff members took care of it. I was just "responsible".

As of 8 PM tonight, my on-call week starts. Pray for me.
The-force-will-be-with-you-always-gif.gif

Today is block change and my first day on clinics as an intern so new students + new intern will make things fun! I will get my schedule in a few hours, but word on the street is I get to spend a lot of time with one doctor who does a lot of ambo and production which is amazing.

Today is block change and my first day on clinics as an intern so new students + new intern will make things fun! I will get my schedule in a few hours, but word on the street is I get to spend a lot of time with one doctor who does a lot of ambo and production which is amazing.

Woot woot! Have an awesome first day :)

The first day went pretty well. It's nice knowing the clinic and the people already so I can focus on getting to know the students and our cases. I'm not really taking any intern responsibilities right now since the outgoing intern is still here. I'm shadowing her next week while she's on call and then when she leaves, I'll get her phone and take her place in the on-call schedule.

I finally got my schedule though and it's pretty exciting. I have almost all of my in-house rotations for the first 6 months with one of the most amazing doctors I've ever met, so needless to say I'm super pumped about that one. I don't have as much time on ambulatory as they made it sound, but it's still a couple more weeks than the average intern gets.

Lol @ not having intern responsibilities. That certainly changed into having a dairy cow with a laundry list of problems. Tomorrow is my 4th day practicing as a vet and they are leaving the clinic in my hands muahahaha. Ok, only for the afternoon, and our patients are hospitalized, but stable, but still...

Working my first Saturday alone. Me, a technician and three receptionists/assistants. First thing this morning, the tech and I are changing the bed for one of the inpatients and it dies in my arms. (To be fair, this wasn't unexpected and the owners were aware the cat might not have much time left.)
ETA: This basically set the tone for the day - I ended up with an additional 3 euthanasias. And I'm not in emergency med, just general practice.

Last edited:
Working my first Saturday alone. Me, a technician and three receptionists/assistants. First thing this morning, the tech and I are changing the bed for one of the inpatients and it dies in my arms. (To be fair, this wasn't unexpected and the owners were aware the cat might not have much time left.)
ETA: This basically set the tone for the day - I ended up with an additional 3 euthanasias. And I'm not in emergency med, just general practice.

Ugh I'm sorry :( What an awful first Saturday alone. Sounds like you've got some great support staff though.

Ugh I'm sorry Coquette :( that sucks hardcore.

Starting my internship tomorrow. Even though I know I get two days of orientation before I really start I'm kinda freaking out. I felt inadequate compared to the fourth years there when I went for an externship a couple months ago, now I get to be in charge of them. Eek!

Side note: we've been here for two weeks, still no internet (running on my data now), still no lawn mower/washer/dryer and husband hasn't gotten a job. Waiting on his job to see if we can afford the hobby that keeps me sane. It's going to be a heck of a long week...

Good luck!! Fingers crossed all that stuff gets squared away soon so you can focus on the internship, jess.

Heylodeb, when do you start?

I am finding that having students is pretty fun. I certainly don't know all the answers, but it's cool to ask them what they think and to let them get to the big points on their own. I try to relate it to small animals since that's mostly what they're interested in and I want to keep myself fresh too. It is also nice having a faculty member who respects my clinical judgment, who will stand by and let me teach something I know, and who has enough confidence in me to leave me at the clinic to manage cases alone twice in my first week of practice. I'm not sure I would encounter that in other parts of the teaching hospital here.

In the midst of my weekend from Hell*, I did have a nice compliment from one of my techs. She said she likes working with me because I don't make her do everything, but I also don't insist on doing everything myself (hey, I suck at blood draws and catheters and I'm more than happy to have a tech do it) and she feels like she can ask me questions about the stuff they didn't cover in tech school, whereas she doesn't always feel comfortable asking the other older vets.

*Please pets of Sydney and your owners, do not require my services for the next 7 hours and 15 minutes.... I'm crying "uncle"

I think I have the worst case of imposter syndrome in the history of ever. As in, I sat on stage at graduation but until they hooded me and stuck a diploma in my hands, there was a not-insignificant part of me that didn't think they would. And until I got the email with my internship orientation schedule, I spent much of my time convincing myself that they'd found a way to fire me and just hadn't told me yet.

Ugh, this was supposed to go away about 3.5 years ago!

I think I have the worst case of imposter syndrome in the history of ever. As in, I sat on stage at graduation but until they hooded me and stuck a diploma in my hands, there was a not-insignificant part of me that didn't think they would. And until I got the email with my internship orientation schedule, I spent much of my time convincing myself that they'd found a way to fire me and just hadn't told me yet.

Every time I show up for my ER shift I have a moment of "They have got to be crazy to leave me in charge." Imposter syndrome doesn't seem to go away very fast.

On a more positive note, it was only a 3-CPR weekend. That's a new record low.

Intern welcome party was tonight. Internmates are all from quite different backgrounds than me (which can definitely be a good thing) but we get along well so far and all the clinic staff who came to the party tonight were awesome. Plus we got to all take home the leftover food. Yay for being poor. I'm definitely nervous but excited...first day is tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
Yay, no more on call for 2 whole weeks! I have wine! Checked in with all my various emergencies from the weekend, they're all doing well. And I made an extra $368. And my first real surgery as a vet was a bilateral partial pinnectomy (squamous cell carcinoma on a white cat). Instant Scottish Fold.

Heylodeb, when do you start?

1 week! 6/22.... Getting a bit anxious!

I think I have the worst case of imposter syndrome in the history of ever.

I get it! But - trust your training and quick some butt! :)

On a more positive note, it was only a 3-CPR weekend. That's a new record low.

Running CPR is one of my fears! I've been part of codes but never in charge of them....

On the eve of my first day, you sure know how to make a girl feel scared ****less. ;)

What kind of job/internship? I kinda jumped in the deep end with an ER job right out of school where I was solo after about 4 training shifts. There are a couple other more experienced vets here on SDN that have done the same thing, but I think in general most people take a more ... measured ... approach to jumping in. You'll be fine. Promise. :)

LIS's rules for managing emergency cases:

1) Recite "Airway, Breathing, Circulation" (or whatever variant you like) over and over and over in your head. Virtually everything else on ER you can take time to stop and think about what you're doing. Most of the cases you see are vomiting/diarrhea dogs and inappetent cats, anyway. And the work-up is so standard for those you can just recite it in your sleep. Which is how you do it most of the time.

2) Don't give direct medical orders to your techs. Instead, mumble "Hmmm.... I suppose I should do X" under your breath. If your techs look at each other - change your mind. If they look like they approve, go with it. They know more than you do anyway. Figure out which are the really good ones, and when they say "Can we do X?" just go with it because that's their way of telling you "Um, smart doctors do X." When my techs come say something like "LIS, can we put a central line in this 4 week old chihuahua so that we can actually give it the therapy you've planned" it doesn't take a braniac to realize it's a good call that you should have already made had you not been busy heating up your 3am burrito.

3) Figure out which of your Facebook DVM friends you trust and bank on them to be online 24 hours a day just to help you out. If they aren't on, repeat call them on their cell phones until they wake up, because they aren't doing their job.

4) Pick a couple action-oriented textbooks (i.e. procedures, meds, etc - not the detailed internal medicine pathophys stuff that you can spend time hunting for) that you really like and keep them close at hand. Remember, pathophys is for real docs, not ER docs.

5) Be brutally honest (in a gentle way, obviously) with your clients about their pet's condition. Don't give them more hope than they should have, because then they'll be P.O.d when their pet dies and you were telling them fluffy had a great chance. I don't sugarcoat the situation - if I think their pet isn't going to survive surgery, I tell them that their pet likely won't survive surgery. Maybe that would get me an F in client communications in vet school, but damned if I'm going to say anything that later could be construed as misleading, lying, hiding, evading, etc.

The rest is just minor details and medical records.

Last edited:
What kind of job/internship? I kinda jumped in the deep end with an ER job right out of school where I was solo after about 4 training shifts. There are a couple other more experienced vets here on SDN that have done the same thing, but I think in general most people take a more ... measured ... approach to jumping in. You'll be fine. Promise. :)

LIS's rules for managing emergency cases:

1) Recite "Airway, Breathing, Circulation" (or whatever variant you like) over and over and over in your head. Virtually everything else on ER you can take time to stop and think about what you're doing. Most of the cases you see are vomiting/diarrhea dogs and inappetent cats, anyway. And the work-up is so standard for those you can just recite it in your sleep. Which is how you do it most of the time.

2) Don't give direct medical orders to your techs. Instead, mumble "Hmmm.... I suppose I should do X" under your breath. If your techs look at each other - change your mind. If they look like they approve, go with it. They know more than you do anyway. Figure out which are the really good ones, and when they say "Can we do X?" just go with it because that's their way of telling you "Um, smart doctors do X." When my techs come say something like "LIS, can we put a central line in this 4 week old chihuahua so that we can actually give it the therapy you've planned" it doesn't take a braniac to realize it's a good call that you should have already made had you not been busy heating up your 3am burrito.

3) Figure out which of your Facebook DVM friends you trust and bank on them to be online 24 hours a day just to help you out. If they aren't on, repeat call them on their cell phones until they wake up, because they aren't doing their job.

4) Pick a couple action-oriented textbooks (i.e. procedures, meds, etc - not the detailed internal medicine pathophys stuff that you can spend time hunting for) that you really like and keep them close at hand. Remember, pathophys is for real docs, not ER docs.

5) Be brutally honest (in a gentle way, obviously) with your clients about their pet's condition. Don't give them more hope than they should have, because then they'll be P.O.d when their pet dies and you were telling them fluffy had a great chance. I don't sugarcoat the situation - if I think their pet isn't going to survive surgery, I tell them that their pet likely won't survive surgery. Maybe that would get me an F in client communications in vet school, but damned if I'm going to say anything that later could be construed as misleading, lying, hiding, evading, etc.

The rest is just minor details and medical records.

6) When all the above fails, walk away and hide in one of the heated dog kennels. With hot chocolate, blankets and a good book or your laptop.

7) When your techs still find you in the heated kennel, start crying.

6) When all the above fails, walk away and hide in one of the heated dog kennels. With hot chocolate, blankets and a good book or your laptop.

7) When your techs still find you in the heated kennel, start crying.

No way. You can never show them weakness. They'll eat you alive.

When the above fails, go sit at your computer and type madly like you're writing the most detailed medical report ever (when in reality you're PM'ing SDNers on FB).

No way. You can never show them weakness. They'll eat you alive.

When the above fails, go sit at your computer and type madly like you're writing the most detailed medical report ever (when in reality you're PM'ing SDNers on FB).
Oh is that why I get walls of text?