Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not usually 20 years!! But it's really hard to give typical lifespans for captive reptiles, as we've gotten significantly better at managing them over the years. One of my classmates has a 15yo one, but 20 is definitely the oldest I've seen.

This client was super adorable - he apparently got the gecko as a kid and has had him through everything since then. Big bearded dude cooing and absolutely beaming over his teeny little leopard gecko. :)

That is a super awesome story!! thank you for sharing!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not usually 20 years!! But it's really hard to give typical lifespans for captive reptiles, as we've gotten significantly better at managing them over the years. One of my classmates has a 15yo one, but 20 is definitely the oldest I've seen.

This client was super adorable - he apparently got the gecko as a kid and has had him through everything since then. Big bearded dude cooing and absolutely beaming over his teeny little leopard gecko. :)

Ahahaha. What is it with big dudes and little animals.

My fiance is 6ft, built like a brick ****house, Ragnar Lothbrok beard, 1 inch gauges, etc. He cuddles with and talks in silly baby-talk to our rabbit all the time and he (the bun) absolutely adores him :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Placed my first IV catheter in a horse today, unfortunately it was for a euthanasia... :(

Floated some teeth, sedated a lot of things, gave some vaccines, removed a mass...

I could do mass removals all day, they make me happy. :)

Enjoying this rotation, even if I am being bitten alive by mosquitoes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a snake person? Someone needs to tell me how long our captive-caught (but young, I suspect, when she was caught - and no, we didn't do the catching) Garter Snake is going to live. We've had her 8 years now and she just keeps eating and shedding and growing and eating and shedding and growing. And leaving jelly bean eggs once in a while. She even got attacked by the cats the one time she escaped - tiny little puncture wound that bled - and she shrugged off the injury and kept right on going. I didn't realize how resilient they are.
Generally 8-10 years, but some can live a few years longer with good care.

BF is likely going to acquire a yellow anaconda hatchling soonish (eggs not yet laid, but female is gravid I believe). I'm excited.

Finished my cardio rotation today barring any emergency pacemaker implantations over the weekend. It was a great rotation! I feel so much better about heart murmurs now.

Next up - derm!

Reactions: 1 user
You need to catch up on some crossing out of things in your signature.. :)
Stupid app doesn't show the signatures, so I always forget about it. I'll do it next time I get on my laptop.

Don't tell me to do a "quick summary only covering what we did today" on a patient if you actually want a thorough and detailed history in the summary of everything that has been done since the patient first presented. I don't mind doing a detailed one but just tell me that is what you want. Also, I can't state that a patient is on a specific treatment if there is absolutely no where in it's previous history showing that it has been on that treatment. As awesome as vet students can be, we still can only read what is provided to us. If you have the patient on another treatment that is not in the history I have no way to know that information without you telling it to me. It is rude for you to suggest that I should have added that info in when said info wasn't provided to me. Also, I know that I need to add in bloodwork results, I can't do it when said bloodwork is still pending. /rant

I am going to bed now.

It's my last official day of Internal Medicine today and I'm actually pretty sad about it. Kind of wish I had signed up to take it twice and I unfortunately don't have any room to add it in. =(

Anyone have suggestions for radiology reading? I've been getting at least daily migraines since I started this new rotation. I'm thinking I'm squinting more than I realize and wearing down my eyes but idk... (I regularly get migraines but 1-2 daily really exhaust me)

Members don't see this ad :)
Less than 10 months till graduation! Starting to get really excited about moving back to Virginia and moving in with my boyfriend next year. Lots of new and exciting things to come.

This is me at the VTH most days:
tumblr_nlop0kXI591sf4ytyo1_540.gif

I can't wait to get out, I'm so done with the bureaucracy

When I started therio, I told the clinicians to call me in for any small animal dystocias they get. One today interrupted my afternoon run, but I spent my evening with five brand new, teeny tiny cavalier puppies. :D So. worth. it.

Reactions: 2 users
Covered behavioral meds during primary care rounds today. Sad to say I'm quite familiar with most of these drugs, since I have taken them myself.

Also, whoever said primary care is a "vacation" rotation, straight up LIED. It's been like internal medicine round 2.

Working a 12 hour ER shift in large animal today. Not minding it really because, well, horses. :love:

Halfway through equine surgery (my second time taking it!). Have seen a few cool things including strangulating scrotal hernia. Ended up doing a hemicastration.

In other news, the crazy application that Tennessee needs by August 1st for the NAVLE is sitting in my bag untouched. Need to get on that since it includes requirements got passport photos and notarized signatures.

Anyone have a good quick resource for poisonous plants?

Rotations so far:

Dragon Neurology: When dragons have vestibular disease, it causes them to randomly breathe fire. You must be on alert at all times.
Dragon Nutrition: Dragons are obligate carnivores. They need a lot of sheep.
Dragon PT: You should see what an underwater flyingmill looks like. Quite amazing.
Dragon Flying Management: Dragons don't actually fly on command very well, you have to encourage them sometimes. Which means pushing them off a cliff, pushing a dragon off a cliff isn't easy. They resist and breathe fire.
Dragon Dermatology: Dragon mites.... :scared: Do NOT allow your dragon to get mites, please keep them on parasite prevention at all times. Trust me, you don't want to see what a dragon mite looks like.

Rotations are going well so far. NAVLE, meh, I have time still, according to vetprep I am "behind", either that or other people are insane...

8 more weeks, 4 more rotations until Florida. :)

Rotations so far:

Dragon Neurology: When dragons have vestibular disease, it causes them to randomly breathe fire. You must be on alert at all times.
Dragon Nutrition: Dragons are obligate carnivores. They need a lot of sheep.
Dragon PT: You should see what an underwater flyingmill looks like. Quite amazing.
Dragon Flying Management: Dragons don't actually fly on command very well, you have to encourage them sometimes. Which means pushing them off a cliff, pushing a dragon off a cliff isn't easy. They resist and breathe fire.
Dragon Dermatology: Dragon mites.... :scared: Do NOT allow your dragon to get mites, please keep them on parasite prevention at all times. Trust me, you don't want to see what a dragon mite looks like.

Rotations are going well so far. NAVLE, meh, I have time still, according to vetprep I am "behind", either that or other people are insane...

8 more weeks, 4 more rotations until Florida. :)

When did you get your vetprep? Everyone I'm with is at like a measly 2% if that makes you feel better. I've only had mine for like 2 weeks though, so probably a much smaller pool of people that it's comparing too.

When did you get your vetprep? Everyone I'm with is at like a measly 2% if that makes you feel better. I've only had mine for like 2 weeks though, so probably a much smaller pool of people that it's comparing too.

I can't remember when I purchased it, I think back towards the end of May or early June.

I am currently at 5%, but according to vetprep "others" are at 17%. I am not sure how they have completed that much, other than insanity.

I can't remember when I purchased it, I think back towards the end of May or early June.

I am currently at 5%, but according to vetprep "others" are at 17%. I am not sure how they have completed that much, other than insanity.

Then don't worry about it. I'm only at 2% and that's likely only because I've been on an externship which has basically been like having a vacation since I don't have inpatients or paperwork to worry about.

Then don't worry about it. I'm only at 2% and that's likely only because I've been on an externship which has basically been like having a vacation since I don't have inpatients or paperwork to worry about.

Not worried about it. I am sitting in bed with the kitteh watching random disney movies and browsing SDN before I get sucked back into clinics tomorrow. :)

VetPrep will *always* say you are behind. Always. Unless you finish it. Even then, I don't know.

I have toxicology notes and study guides... and maybe a book. An e-version. Let me know.

Do you have any good pictures of plants by chance?

Well, take heart (or despair): If you get pictures on NAVLE they'll be indecipherable. If it's a radiograph it will be a fuzzy black/white/blue Rorschach test. If it's a plant it will be a fuzzy green thing on a field of other fuzzy green things.

Well, take heart (or despair): If you get pictures on NAVLE they'll be indecipherable. If it's a radiograph it will be a fuzzy black/white/blue Rorschach test. If it's a plant it will be a fuzzy green thing on a field of other fuzzy green things.
Any now I will be kicked out of the testing center for laughing to myself when said pictures come up.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Not at all.

Yeahhhhh... The picture isn't what will help you answer the question. So you don't need to worry too much.

So we won't get any of the vetprep like questions where really the only identifying information they give is the picture of the plant? Eh, if that happens, I will just be ok with missing that one.

Yeahhhhh... The picture isn't what will help you answer the question. So you don't need to worry too much.
Yup, the way I approached these were "species, clin signs" and the first name of the plant that popped into my head was picked as the answer. Who knows, I could have been wrong on every single one, but it didn't stop me from passing.

I hate when clients show me pictures of household plants. I'm not a friggin botanist. Give me the name of the plant and I will either look it up quickly or direct you to poison control. If you don't know what it is, you can trash it to be on the safe side.

So we won't get any of the vetprep like questions where really the only identifying information they give is the picture of the plant? Eh, if that happens, I will just be ok with missing that one.

Usually it doesn't rely on the photo for tox. Radiology - ehhh... maybe. It's dumb.

I think I blocked it out of my mind. Sorry. :p

I've just accepted that any questions with pictures I'm going to mess up. I have a hard enough time seeing things on the VetPrep questions. Either I need glasses, know absolutely nothing about radiology or both.

I've just accepted that any questions with pictures I'm going to mess up. I have a hard enough time seeing things on the VetPrep questions. Either I need glasses, know absolutely nothing about radiology or both.

I already know that I am blind, I have contacts that I wear and I still can't see the VetPrep pictures.

Srsly - do the vet prep or Zuku questions. If you suck with a subject, then review it. Practice doing big blocks of questions with the timer going. Figure out the format. And then, on the day of... just go do it, get through it, don't second guess your first answers unless you are 100% sure you were wrong, and then wash your hands of it. It's all you can do, and for like 98% of you, it will be enough.

You can't learn everything, so just learn what you can.

...I haven't started studying for boards yet. Is that a thing I should be doing?