Class of 2018 Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS was mailed: Mid-October
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIW, UMSL, IU, SCCO, UH
Date Interview Scheduled: UIW 11/21, UMSL 1/6, IU 1/24, SCCO 2/1, UH 2/14
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO 2/14/14 (attending)
Bachelor's Degree: Biology, History
OAT (AA, TS) 320 330
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.47, 3.4

Extracurriculars: 2 sport collegiate athlete (Tennis & Soccer), 3 School research projects, Awanas leader, Science tutor, Church missions trip, +40 hours of shadowing & 40 hours of interning.

Had an extremely hard time choosing between IU and SCCO, so I was thankful that UHCO was 100x better than both! Go Coogs!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to post it on this page but these are my stats:

OAT: 310
GPA: 3.33

Do you guys think I have a chance for getting into any Californian school? My preference is WesternU)?

If you had applied earlier I'd say aim for SCCO......Western is not a wise investment.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/16/13
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO, UHCO, Midwestern, NOVA, WesternU
Date Interview Scheduled: Midwestern (2/3), UIWRSO (2/7), UHCO (2/14), NOVA (cancelled), Western (Cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UIWRSO (attending!), UHCO
Bachelor's Degree: Chemistry
OAT (AA, TS): 310, 320
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.49, 3.3

Hi Guys

What are my chances?
OAT (AA, TS): 310,310
Degree: Biochemistry
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.30, 3.10

I want to attend WesternU!! Or any other CA based schools

Hi Guys

What are my chances?

You'll have a good chance at Western, a decent chance at SCCO and a hard time with Berkley. Are you from CA?

You'll have a good chance at Western, a decent chance at SCCO and a hard time with Berkley. Are you from CA?
Yeah I am CA. Have you applied or will be applying this year to any optometry schools?

Hi Guys

What are my chances?

Stop posting this question here. The title of the thread is not "can I get into blah blah blah."

Reactions: 2 users
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/02/13
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UCB, ICO, SCO, PUCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UCB (2/1), ICO (canceled), SCO (2/28), PUCO (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UCB (attending), haven't heard back from SCO yet.
OAT (AA, TS): 380, 380
GPA(Overall, Science): 2.51, 2.79

Stop posting this question here. The title of the thread is not "can I get into blah blah blah."

Well I am sorry you feel that, people are generally nicer and answer the question and want to just help other students. But thank you : )

Well I am sorry you feel that, people are generally nicer and answer the question and want to just help other students. But thank you : )
well yes, they (we) do. But this thread has a very specific function- and that is to talk about the schools that they applied/interviewed/got in/attending. You can make a brand new thread and I'm sure lots of people would gladly help you out. Sarcasm and feigned nicety isn't cool.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/12/13
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): AZCOPT, ICO, SUNY, PCO, SCCO, UCB
Date Interview Scheduled: AZCOPT(12/02) , ICO (12/11), SUNY (12/20), PCO (12/21), SCCO (1/17), UCB (2/1)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Accepted to all. Undecided.
OAT (AA, TS): 350/360
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.75

Date OptomCAS was mailed: September 5
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO (9/6), UHCO (2/10)
Date Interview Scheduled: UIWRSO (10/4), UHCO (3/7)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UIWRSO (10/7), UHCO (3/7; attending)
Bachelor's Degree: Biomedical Sciences
GPA: 3.35

After 6 months, I get to say I will be attending UHCO! I'm so so so excited. :)

Date OptomCAS was mailed: September 5
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO (9/6), UHCO (2/10)
Date Interview Scheduled: UIWRSO (10/4), UHCO (3/7)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UIWRSO (10/7), UHCO (3/7; attending)
Bachelor's Degree: Biomedical Sciences
GPA: 3.35

After 6 months, I get to say I will be attending UHCO! I'm so so so excited. :)

That's a long wait. Congrats!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: Dec 21, 2013
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO
Date Interview Scheduled: 2/7/14
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (3/8/14; attending)
Bachelor's Degree: Biological Sciences - Microbiology
OAT (AA, TS): 310/300
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.45/3.55

Extracurriculars: Full-time job. volunteer work, internship with two OD's, and lots of shadowing.

I am the proof that just because you don't blow them away with an OAT score, you can still get accepted. I think the shadowing experience paid off for me as the interviewers were very impressed with the amount I had done as well as the fact that I had a decent GPA while working a full-time job. I was pretty nervous after I didn't do so hot on the OAT, but I think the interview gave me a chance to show myself as a good candidate, so don't give up just because you don't do well on your OAT! Good luck to all.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8/8
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Salus 8/14, Nova 8/15, SCO 8/23, Pacific 8/23, ICO 8/26, OSU 8/27
Date Interview Scheduled: Nova 8/23, OSU 9/9, SCO 9/16, (Canceling: Salus 10/7, ICO 10/14, Pacific 10/18)
Accepted (indicate school attending): OSU 9/16 (attending! :D), SCO 9/19
Bachelor's Degree: Biochemistry
OAT (AA, TS): 320, 310
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.56, 3.27

Extracurriculars: Sorority, American Chemical Society, pre-optometry club, Sigma Tau Delta, Gamma. I had about 50 hours of shadowing experience.

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the OSU 2018 class yet?
I just got my interview at OSU and thought you would be a great person to ask (if you don't mind) about the interview process. What were the things that really stood out for you? Any tips?

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8-29-2013
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO, NSUOCO, UHCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UIWRSO (9-27), NSUOCO (Cancelled), UHCO (2-14)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UIWRSO, UHCO* (Attending)
Bachelor's Degree: Health Care Studies Focused in Optometry
OAT (AA, TS): 310, 320
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.3, 3.3

Extracurriculars: POPS officer, Shadowed and worked in Optometry office, ect...

Date OptomCAS was mailed: mid December
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): AZCOPT, ICO, Western, SCCO, SCO
Interview Scheduled: AZCOPT, WesternU, SCCO. Declined SCO, canceled ICO.
Accepted (indicate school attending): Accepted to AZCOPT, Western, SCCO. Attending SCCO. :D
Bachelor's Degree: Biology
OAT (AA, TS): 350, 350
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.6

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: Mid September
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY, ICO, PCO, NECO
Date Interview Scheduled: SUNY (Nov 18), ICO (Nov 19), PCO (Cancelled), NECO (Nov 22)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SUNY, NECO, ICO (Attending)
Bachelor's Degree: Human Biology
OAT (AA, TS) 370, 370
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.67, 3.70

Extracurriculars: Research in a comparative physio lab, volunteered in an optom office for 1 year, volunteer at local hospital for 3 years, CNIB volunteer, Microbiology TA

Reactions: 1 user
Hi just curious as I am interested in deferring a year if I get into NECO this fall. What is the process for deferring a year? Does it lower your chances of acceptance?

Hi just curious as I am interested in deferring a year if I get into NECO this fall. What is the process for deferring a year? Does it lower your chances of acceptance?

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 03/14/14
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO, ICO, PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO (04/04), ICO (04/14), PCO (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO, ICO (will be attending! Wooohoooo!!)
Bachelor's Degree: Biomedical Science
OAT (AA, TS): 340/360
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.33, 3.40

Extracurriculars: worked in 3 different optical stores, intern at 1 optom clinic for almost 2 and 1/2 yrs now (300+ hrs), shadowed at 2 other optom clinics (20 hrs), holds exec position for clubs at school, involved in research in biology, First aid/CPR certified, Dean's List

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 01/16/14
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): OSU, PCO, MCPHS, WESTERN
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO (02/04), OSU (04/14), WESTERN (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): OSU !!!!!!
Bachelor's Degree: Kinesiology
OAT (AA, TS): 300/300
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.63, 3.54

If anyone is attending Ohio State please message me!!! I cannot wait :)

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 03/20/14
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY, NECO, SCCO, ICO, MCPHS
Date Interview Scheduled: SUNY (4/3), NECO (4/4), SCCO (4/12), ICO/MCPHS (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SUNY, NECO, SCCO (automatically waitlisted because all the seats were filled ). Undecided :shrug:
Bachelor's Degree: Bioengineering
OAT (AA, TS): 380/370
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.55, 3.50

Extracurriculars: 2 yrs post-college working experience, 150+ hours interning at an private practice, vision screenings with pre-opt club during undergrad, undergrad research in polymer chemistry and drug delivery, soccer soccer soccer

Any input/advice on helping me decide which school to pick would be greatly appreciated!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/23/2013
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, NECO, IAUPR
Date Interview Scheduled: ICO (11/7/2013), IAUPR (1/15/2013) NECO (4/9/2014), Still waiting to hear from WesternU.
Accepted (indicate school attending): IAUPR (1/29/2013) declined, ICO (4/17/2014) :soexcited:ATTENDING!
Bachelor's Degree: B.S. in Biological Sciences
OAT (AA, TS) 1st time in December: 270,260; 2nd time in April: 300,290
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.07, 2.93

Extracurriculars: As you can see, my grades and OAT scores were NOT competitive at all, and one didn't compensate for the other. It was everything else on my application, LORs, experiences, and especially interview that saved me and made me "the" small percentage of exceptions.
What saved me:
1. A reason and explanation for my low GPA - apparently good enough reason for them to consider me.
2. Being absolutely, completely prepared for my interviews (used SDN interview feedback) and expressing my passion, determination, personality. I think my interview is what mainly saved me. After meeting my interviewer at ICO, she said she would fight and do what she could for the admissions committee to consider me. She told me that I was a unique applicant who has experience that's beyond and above other applicants. Not saying this to brag -- mentioning it to let some of you know that there is STILL a chance if you can make yourself stand out.
3. I would assume REALLY good letters of recommendations from 2 well known optometrists who are professors (one is a clinical professor at Berkeley School of Optometry, and the other teaches at SUNY, SCCO, and Western). I was lucky to have the opportunity work with them during my job after I graduated college. I also asked a college professor (Human Anatomy) to write me a letter who could vouch for my improvement in his class. I failed his class the first time, and received a B+ the second time around.
4. Good personal statement. I spent like 4 months revising/editing it. I have a folder of at least 30 different rough drafts.
5. Co-founder and president of the pre-optometry club at my school. Establishing a brand new club also made me stand out.
6. Program coordinator for a telemedicine diabetic retinopathy screening program for 2 years after I graduated. I had a lot of impressive administrative responsibilities - I won't go into detail. If anyone is curious, PM me. I really think this made me stand out.
7. Shadowed at every single optometrist possible - this also REALLY made me stand out. I shadowed at a private practice, retail, interviewed a Kaiser optometrist, group settings, pediatric optometrist, etc etc etc. I shadowed at least 7 DIFFERENT TYPES of optometrists.
8. Interned at an ophthalmology office, (worked closely with the optometrist there) for 2 years
9. A bunch of volunteering - homeless shelters, etc.
10. Went on a mission trip (See The Lord Organization) to Taiwan and visited rural/underserved populations to give free eye exams/glasses. Also mentioned that I will be doing another trip with Unite for Site in Honduras in the upcoming months.

Sorry if this was TMI - just thought it might be helpful to some applicants out there, because I remember how hopeless I felt. SO relieved and excited :claps:that I can finally post this. Grades and OAT really don't mean EVERYTHING - I'm confident that I will succeed academically in optometry school. I will just have to work a lot harder than others and that's OK with me.

PM me if you have any questions. Good luck to everyone else! :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 03/20/2014
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCCO, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: SCCO (4/12/14), Western (cancelled the interview once I got an acceptance)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Attending SCCO
Bachelor's Degree: Biological sciences
OAT (AA, TS): 320, 330
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.43, 3.28
Extracirriculars: non-optometry volunteering, 200+ hrs volunteering at optometry office, 70+ hrs employment at optometry office, 100+ hrs interning at another office, undergrad lab research during college.

I only applied to SCCO (my #1 choice) and Western. Got 3 really (I'm assuming) great letter of recs. Didn't have the time to prepare months for my interview like some people did - I just spent one all-nighter before the interview. Didn't spend months writing my personal statement. Relied on my enthusiasm and all the knowledge I had gained over the last half year. My math score for the OAT was actually quite sub-300. I took a lot of time off after college. I sent in my application nearly right before the deadline for SCCO. I was put on the alternate list for SCCO due to my late application. I really wanted to post here to show people that late birds out there DO have a chance as long as you've really been wanting it and are willing to do what it takes. This has all made me realize how tough it is when you're comparing yourself to a bunch of brilliant people. Do the best that YOU can do and apply anyway, despite the disadvantages you think you may have. You never know what they're looking for and what kind of diversity they are looking for.

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 03/20/2014
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCCO, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: SCCO (4/12/14), Western (cancelled the interview once I got an acceptance)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Attending SCCO
Bachelor's Degree: Biological sciences
OAT (AA, TS): 320, 330
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.43, 3.28
Extracirriculars: non-optometry volunteering, 200+ hrs volunteering at optometry office, 70+ hrs employment at optometry office, 100+ hrs interning at another office, undergrad lab research during college.

I only applied to SCCO (my #1 choice) and Western. Got 3 really (I'm assuming) great letter of recs. Didn't have the time to prepare months for my interview like some people did - I just spent one all-nighter before the interview. Didn't spend months writing my personal statement. Relied on my enthusiasm and all the knowledge I had gained over the last half year. My math score for the OAT was actually quite sub-300. I took a lot of time off after college. I sent in my application nearly right before the deadline for SCCO. I was put on the alternate list for SCCO due to my late application. I really wanted to post here to show people that late birds out there DO have a chance as long as you've really been wanting it and are willing to do what it takes. This has all made me realize how tough it is when you're comparing yourself to a bunch of brilliant people. Do the best that YOU can do and apply anyway, despite the disadvantages you think you may have. You never know what they're looking for and what kind of diversity they are looking for.

May I ask when you heard back from the SCCO alternate list? Also, were you in Tier 1 of the alternate list?

First time poster. Let's do thissssss.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 2/28/2014
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UABSO, SCO, NECO, and PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UABSO (3/25), SCO (4/4), NECO (4/11), PCO (4/14)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO and SCO (first choice - attending!)
Bachelor's Degree: B.S. in Biology
OAT (AA, TS): 310,290
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.61, 3.52

Extracurriculars: 1 year as a peer tutor at unviersity library, 40+ hours of shadowing, 2 years undergrad lab assistant, co-founder of a sexual health organization, dean's list

As you can see from the mail date, I applied super duper late into the cycle. My OAT scores weren't the best, but I think my GPA helped offset that when admissions were looking though my file. I also go to a flagship school in my state known for its academic rigor so I guess I had that going for me =) Everything else about my application was pretty average I think and was actually first put on the waitlist for SCO (ranked fairly high though). I feel my interviews went well (except for UABSO since it was the first one), but they definitely got progressively better as I became more adjusted to the types of questions.

May I ask when you heard back from the SCCO alternate list? Also, were you in Tier 1 of the alternate list?
Sorry if this is a bit late. I heard back in the beginning of May and I was in Tier 1, but I heard that people from Tier 2 are being accepted now, and there's still plenty of time left, so don't give up!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 07/25/2013
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): MCPHS, WUCO, UIWRSO (cancelled), SCCO
Date Interview Scheduled: MCPHS 08/13/13, WUCO 09/10/13, SCCO 03/13/14
Accepted (indicate school attending): MCPHS, WUCO, SCCO (attending!)
Bachelor's Degree: Physiological Science
OAT (AA, TS) 350, 350
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.0, <3.0

Extracurriculars: 2.5 years as an ophthalmic technician, shadowed 7 optometrists, 4 years of undergraduate research (with publications), leadership in professional fraternity, 4 years IM sports, marathon runner

Firstly, you should have just posted this in a new thread haha. Wrong place to ask the question. Anyways..

I just did the exact same thing this past year: got accepted to NECO and deferred until 2015. All I did was talk with an admissions counselor during my interview about my reasons for wanting to defer and whether it would work or not. I doubt it would lower your chances of getting accepted, but just don't bring it up in your interview and you'll be fine. Just chat with someone off the official record.

I deferred in order to apply to a military scholarship for school, and it was a good enough reason for them I suppose. After I was accepted and put down my money, I just sent an email to the admissions committee asking them to grant my deferral and paid a $500 fee. The fees are a bit ridiculous (quite a bit more over the next year), but it was worth it to get what I want. Pretty easy overall!

Oh, this too!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/29/2013
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO (1/7/2014), PUCO (1/3/2014)
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO (2/7/14), PUCO (2/21/14)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO, PUCO (Attending NECO, but deferred next year to Class of 2019)
Bachelor's Degree: Chemistry, Ceramics minor
OAT (AA, TS): 360/360
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.64, 3.45

Extracurriculars: Scouting (Eagle Scout), ran cross country in college, intramural sports, lots of work with ceramics, VP of pre-optometry club, 40+ hrs of shadowing in a variety of office settings, various non-optometric volunteer work and employment.

I guess I'll have to browse the forum next year to find my classmates at NECO!

Extracurriculars: genetics lab research on retinal degeneration, tutoring, clinical research in rare and neglected diseases, one year of full-time work as certified paraoptometric, board of directors for my local alumni club

How did you get involved in genetics lab research on retinal degeneration? I am a pre-optometry undergrad and will be taking genetics to the fall. Did you just develop a close relationship with the professor and become involved that way, or was it a separate research course? Thanks!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 7/25/2013
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO, WesternU, NOVA, Midwestern
Date Interview Scheduled: UIWRSO (9/27/2013), WesternU (10/18/2013), NOVA (12/16/2013), Midwestern (12/19/2013)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NOVA (12/18/2013) most likely attending!!, Midwestern (12/20/2o13), UIWRSO (2/10/2014), Waitlisted at WesternU, still waiting to hear back from multiple schools
Bachelor's Degree: B.S. in Biological Sciences (graduating May 2014)
OAT (AA, TS) 1st time in August: 290,290; 2nd time in November: 310,290 (but improved all scores but one)
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.06, 3.0

Extracurriculars: President of my school's Pre-Optometry Club, 400+ hours shadowing, was an intern and Optometric Technician at two different Optometry practices, worked at an Ophthalmology private practice, volunteer work, other jobs...basically I think the experience was what made me a competitive applicant.

I am an unusual applicant because I was invited for two interviews before retaking my OAT so that is why I was wait listed at those and accepted at NOVA & Midwestern because it was after my OAT retake. Waiting to hear back from everyone else!

Hey! Your stats are pretty similar to mine and NOVA is one of my top choices. If you don't mind me asking, where did you attend undergrad? Thanks! :)