Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No panicking!
tenor.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But also apparently our dean is all concerned about the NAVLE first pass rate being lower than normal the past few tests and so like mid-August after they forced us to take a practice NAVLE (the week before finals, 3 days before another 100 question "quiz," etc etc etc) he sent out a spicy email to all of us about how most of our class didn't pass the practice NAVLE and therefore none of us should be taking it until April. Yeah. Mid-August. So like..... weeks after almost the whole class had already submitted our application and paid to take it this fall.

Now he has different professors emailing us weekly with a "take this seriously" "do not think of this as a practice test" kinda email and every single time I see one of those pop into my email my anxiety levels ramp up like 1000%. Like I promise you, there is no exam I take un-seriously, certainly not one that I have probably invested over $1000 in with regards to registration, study materials, and travel expenses. SO. IRRITATING.
(although I will say the email that the professor sent today was actually just nice and supportive and made my happy so I emailed her back thanking her for basically not giving me my weekly panic attack like everyone else has)

But also apparently our dean is all concerned about the NAVLE first pass rate being lower than normal the past few tests and so like mid-August after they forced us to take a practice NAVLE (the week before finals, 3 days before another 100 question "quiz," etc etc etc) he sent out a spicy email to all of us about how most of our class didn't pass the practice NAVLE and therefore none of us should be taking it until April. Yeah. Mid-August. So like..... weeks after almost the whole class had already submitted our application and paid to take it this fall.

Now he has different professors emailing us weekly with a "take this seriously" "do not think of this as a practice test" kinda email and every single time I see one of those pop into my email my anxiety levels ramp up like 1000%. Like I promise you, there is no exam I take un-seriously, certainly not one that I have probably invested over $1000 in with regards to registration, study materials, and travel expenses. SO. IRRITATING.
(although I will say the email that the professor sent today was actually just nice and supportive and made my happy so I emailed her back thanking her for basically not giving me my weekly panic attack like everyone else has)

That's total crap. Like 100% crap. The pass rate has dipped, so lets assume it doesn't have to do with our selection of applicants, the school environment, or the coursework - instead, let's assume that the students are getting LAZIER and aren't taking the (effing national licencing) exam SERIOUSLY enough...

Bullshet.

I have nothing at all nice to say about that. It's a terrible and stupid way to approach that.

Try not to let it get to you.

Reactions: 1 users

One of my Ross friends who was on my last rotation with me that just started rotations in August was telling me about this too! So insane. You guys will all do great though :) Prove them wrong!

One of my Ross friends who was on my last rotation with me that just started rotations in August was telling me about this too! So insane. You guys will all do great though :) Prove them wrong!
Which one?? You have some of my favorite humans there!! And us Rossies are glad to have all of our rotation mates as great commiserators about how irritating it is. I certainly was doing a lot of complaining about it to my rotation mates today too.

That's total crap. Like 100% crap. The pass rate has dipped, so lets assume it doesn't have to do with our selection of applicants, the school environment, or the coursework - instead, let's assume that the students are getting LAZIER and aren't taking the (effing national licencing) exam SERIOUSLY enough...

Bullshet.

I have nothing at all nice to say about that. It's a terrible and stupid way to approach that.

Try not to let it get to you.
Thank you. Seriously. I generally see the email subject line, get super anxious, read less than one sentence of it, and then feel myself starting to spiral and delete it without reading more. Compared to normal, today's was great but just knowing it was another one of "those emails" gave me the anxieties.

Can't wait til I pass the NAVLE so I can write the dean a spicy email about how much unnecessary anxiety his little email schedule gave me :p

Which one?? You have some of my favorite humans there!! And us Rossies are glad to have all of our rotation mates as great commiserators about how irritating it is. I certainly was doing a lot of complaining about it to my rotation mates today too.

Brooke B.!

Thank you. Seriously. I generally see the email subject line, get super anxious, read less than one sentence of it, and then feel myself starting to spiral and delete it without reading more. Compared to normal, today's was great but just knowing it was another one of "those emails" gave me the anxieties.

Can't wait til I pass the NAVLE so I can write the dean a spicy email about how much unnecessary anxiety his little email schedule gave me :p

you should create an email filter if the subject line is the same (or very similar) and dump them all into a folder (or delete), that way you don't have to see them if you don't want to. Sorry they are adding needless stress and anxiety

Members don't see this ad :)
you should create an email filter if the subject line is the same (or very similar) and dump them all into a folder (or delete), that way you don't have to see them if you don't want to. Sorry they are adding needless stress and anxiety
I wish I could... most of them have the word NAVLE in the title but some don't. And other emails with "NAVLE" in the title I probably should receive so I'm kinda stuck there.

Thanks for the commiseration and kind words everyone

Hmmmmm. I wonder if that's why they really did it? UMN started that at the end of my third year with my class; we were told it was to better meet COE requirements for assessment. It was a dumb test. My class averaged something like 40% on it. We did just fine as a class on NAVLE.

Vet school just burns you out on testing in general. If I never see another scantron.........

Hmmmmm. I wonder if that's why they really did it? UMN started that at the end of my third year with my class; we were told it was to better meet COE requirements for assessment. It was a dumb test. My class averaged something like 40% on it. We did just fine as a class on NAVLE.

Vet school just burns you out on testing in general. If I never see another scantron.........

Hate to break it to you - there are no more scantrons these days! :p We have some new exam software that we use to take tests on our ipads.

But agreed, I'm so burned out on testing... I cannot freaking wait until this is over. After navle, I just have two classes left, then no more exams ever!

Reactions: 1 user

I know, same. Especially since we only used scantrons when the power was down or computer software was not working. Aka for all of my finals the last go around. I will be thrilled to NEVER see another scantron again.

I know, same. Especially since we only used scantrons when the power was down or computer software was not working. Aka for all of my finals the last go around. I will be thrilled to NEVER see another scantron again.

It's nice some schools are finally getting to the digital testing. I'm skeptical of a LOT (like, a LOT a LOT) of the push to digital mechanisms of content delivery (I question the retention associated with a lot of them), but for testing ... it always annoyed me that we're wasting so much damn paper just to do multiple-choice tests when it could be done efficiently, graded quickly, etc., with a digital implementation.

UMN did scantrons for almost <everything> when I was there (dunno if they've moved on, yet). Super annoying.

It's nice some schools are finally getting to the digital testing. I'm skeptical of a LOT (like, a LOT a LOT) of the push to digital mechanisms of content delivery (I question the retention associated with a lot of them), but for testing ... it always annoyed me that we're wasting so much damn paper just to do multiple-choice tests when it could be done efficiently, graded quickly, etc., with a digital implementation.

UMN did scantrons for almost <everything> when I was there (dunno if they've moved on, yet). Super annoying.
We have mostly scantron or paper tests and some online, and I'm not a big fan of the online tests because I like to be able to write on my tests to make notes, cross out incorrect answers, etc. Some of our professors have started providing paper copies along with the online tests, which is nice, but definitely not environmentally friendly. It does still make grading easier and faster than running a bunch of scantrons, though.

We have mostly scantron or paper tests and some online, and I'm not a big fan of the online tests because I like to be able to write on my tests to make notes, cross out incorrect answers, etc. Some of our professors have started providing paper copies along with the online tests, which is nice, but definitely not environmentally friendly. It does still make grading easier and faster than running a bunch of scantrons, though.

Seems like an easily solvable problem by letting people have blank scratch notes, or by doing what some of your professors do - kinda a best of both worlds solution.

Seems like an easily solvable problem by letting people have blank scratch notes, or by doing what some of your professors do - kinda a best of both worlds solution.
If they don't provide a copy of the test they do provide scratch paper, but it's easier for me to be able to write directly on the questions.

I used to be that way, but adapted to the digital exams at SGU. They gave us dry-erase boards and markers which was good enough! You just learn to deal when it's your only option :p

Yeah the digital exams have really grown on me. I'm the type that likes to write all over paper tests, but the program they have us on now (examplify) has features that let us cross out answer choices, flag questions for review, and write notes on the bottom of each question (that can be reviewed by the instructor if you select the option, or it's automatically set to be only seen by you). They give us scratch paper, but I hardly touch it anymore.

Yeah the digital exams have really grown on me. I'm the type that likes to write all over paper tests, but the program they have us on now (examplify) has features that let us cross out answer choices, flag questions for review, and write notes on the bottom of each question (that can be reviewed by the instructor if you select the option, or it's automatically set to be only seen by you). They give us scratch paper, but I hardly touch it anymore.
Ooh, that's nice! Our online exams are just through Canvas.

Hard to believe I'm halfway through clinics!

Confidence is worth a 'C'. Advice from a clinician I thought I'd share. He was talking about the navle with us

Reactions: 1 users

Confidence is worth a 'C'. Advice from a clinician I thought I'd share. He was talking about the navle with us

So.. is that essentially a fake it till you make it, and hopefully we'll make the ~65% cutoff on the navle? :D

Also congrats on being halfway through!

So.. is that essentially a fake it till you make it, and hopefully we'll make the ~65% cutoff on the navle? :D

Also congrats on being halfway through!

Pretty much because he finished it off with 'don't get greedy' :laugh:

The gist of the conversation was he believed you can reason your way through most of the questions without knowing as much as you'd like

Just remember that confidence and arrogance are two very different things. Trust yourself enough to let yourself be wrong.

Pretty much because he finished it off with 'don't get greedy' :laugh:

The gist of the conversation was he believed you can reason your way through most of the questions without knowing as much as you'd like

Total agree with him.

You can <at least> rule out 2+ answers on most of the questions, which gets you into pretty good guessing range.

Took one of those NAVLE Self-Assessments exams you can buy today, mostly because I wanted to see if I was doomed and needed to amp up my studying.

It was a bit nervewracking to take but it says I'm projected to pass so let's hope it is right! :luck::luck::luck:

Reactions: 3 users
Took one of those NAVLE Self-Assessments exams you can buy today, mostly because I wanted to see if I was doomed and needed to amp up my studying.

It was a bit nervewracking to take but it says I'm projected to pass so let's hope it is right! :luck::luck::luck:

Yay! I did one of those about a month ago and it told me I was projected to pass, and therefore my VetPrepping has decreased significantly... Which is bad haha

Yay! I did one of those about a month ago and it told me I was projected to pass, and therefore my VetPrepping has decreased significantly... Which is bad haha
I'm the opposite.. I was slacking hard, took one a few weeks ago that told me I was projected to fail, and I ramped up my studying hard lol. I'm in the middle of taking another one right now, we'll see how that goes... (Clearly I'm focusing well on it).

I'm gonna reiterate that I did a solid... eh... 2/3rds of the pitiful amount of zuku I finished the weekend before I took the NAVLE. And I was not a good student. (Obviously).

And I passed well above average. Y'all are going to be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Just had my last day of my Zoo Med rotation :arghh: It was so much fun, got to do and see so many cool things. I don't wanna move on to equine field services on Monday :(

Just had my last day of my Zoo Med rotation :arghh: It was so much fun, got to do and see so many cool things. I don't wanna move on to equine field services on Monday :(
I really hope I manage to get the zoo med rotation...is it still only one student on at a time or did they bump it up to two?

I really hope I manage to get the zoo med rotation...is it still only one student on at a time or did they bump it up to two?

I always forget you're here! Haha you'll get it, I think most people who request it get it, it's surprising how many people actually don't want to take it! At first I actually had it in my schedule twice because I'd requested 4 weeks of it, but ended up dropping one of them for something that would actually be more relevant to what I want to do which was a sad decision haha. And yep still just one student, it's great! Except one day during your two weeks the regular exotics rotation students join too.

I always forget you're here! Haha you'll get it, I think most people who request it get it, it's surprising how many people actually don't want to take it! At first I actually had it in my schedule twice because I'd requested 4 weeks of it, but ended up dropping one of them for something that would actually be more relevant to what I want to do which was a sad decision haha. And yep still just one student, it's great! Except one day during your two weeks the regular exotics rotation students join too.
Hehe yup, if you happen to see a short girl with red curly hair, that's me, I'm occasionally running around the clinic :D I think you were on farm animal before my job in the large animal hospital started otherwise our paths probably would have crossed at some point. That's good to hear about the zoo rotation though!

Last edited:
Anyone else doing match?? At what point should I send out gentle reminders (with treats :) ) about the LoR deadline to my writers since we are already less than a month out?

Anyone else doing match?? At what point should I send out gentle reminders (with treats :) ) about the LoR deadline to my writers since we are already less than a month out?
I submitted my completed Match application packet to programs last weekend. As the lab animal match has an earlier deadline, I only had about 3.5 weeks total from the date the Match opened to the due date for applications. If I had more time, I would typically send reminders out at one month, two weeks, and finally 2-3 days. With my timeline, I sent reminders out at two weeks and one week. Three out of four references submitted their letters within 2-3 days of the deadline. One submitted two weeks before the deadline. Faculty are busy folks and have a lot on their plates. Be gracious and unassuming with your reminders, and folks will get your letters in on time. Good luck with this season's Match!

How is my 8 weeks away from the hospitals almost over? :arghh: On another note, yesterday marked our official halfway point of our clinical year. Yikes! 13 days until NAVLE and 184 days until graduation! Double yikes! :wow:

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my completed Match application packet to programs last weekend. As the lab animal match has an earlier deadline, I only had about 3.5 weeks total from the date the Match opened to the due date for applications. If I had more time, I would typically send reminders out at one month, two weeks, and finally 2-3 days. With my timeline, I sent reminders out at two weeks and one week. Three out of four references submitted their letters within 2-3 days of the deadline. One submitted two weeks before the deadline. Faculty are busy folks and have a lot on their plates. Be gracious and unassuming with your reminders, and folks will get your letters in on time. Good luck with this season's Match!

Alrighty. I only just asked two of my three writers about two weeks ago if they'd write me letters so I'd feel obnoxious already sending a reminder haha maybe I'll send them out next week to everyone since it'll be three weeks out. Good luck to you too!

How is my 8 weeks away from the hospitals almost over? :arghh: On another note, yesterday marked our official halfway point of our clinical year. Yikes! 13 days until NAVLE and 184 days until graduation! Double yikes! :wow:
I'm not even trying to count days until graduation. At least not until I'm finished counting days until NAVLE.

Dec. 5th for me

I'm gonna reiterate that I did a solid... eh... 2/3rds of the pitiful amount of zuku I finished the weekend before I took the NAVLE. And I was not a good student. (Obviously).

My percentages on both Zuku and VetPrep (I had both because I won a future VetPrep subscription at an event during first year and my class ended up purchasing Zuku subscriptions) were absolutely pathetic. I don't remember exactly but I'm sure that one was below 20% and the other below 40% easily. Also not a great student. The most effort I really put into it was doing those self-assessments. Some of the questions were actually the exact same. :laugh: I passed easily as well. It'll be okay!

I can't even recall my final vet prep percentage. Was panicking during test, passed by a decent margin. Wasn't a top student. If I can randomly guess all the large animal questions and get enough right to pass, anyone can.

You guys talking about how you "passed easily" or "passed by a decent margin" or "passed well above average" (o_O) crack me up ...

... I couldn't begin to tell you if I passed by 1 point or all the points.

(But for the c/o 2018ers, if I can pass, you can.)

You guys talking about how you "passed easily" or "passed by a decent margin" or "passed well above average" (o_O) crack me up ...

... I couldn't begin to tell you if I passed by 1 point or all the points.

(But for the c/o 2018ers, if I can pass, you can.)
I think they send you the points total these days. haha