Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How's everyone doing now 5-6 months out?! I submitted all my residency applications during my overnight shift last night :scared: Terrifying.

I'm loving my job and the people I work with! We're having a secret santa exchange where we'll have 2 weeks of giving our santee things to encourage them and then give the actual gift at the Christmas party. Was terrified when I had my first Thurday evening shift (I'm the only doctor for the last couple hours) but now I don't even blink an eye when they ask me to go to the single doctor satellite clinics for a day

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm loving my job and the people I work with! We're having a secret santa exchange where we'll have 2 weeks of giving our santee things to encourage them and then give the actual gift at the Christmas party. Was terrified when I had my first Thurday evening shift (I'm the only doctor for the last couple hours) but now I don't even blink an eye when they ask me to go to the single doctor satellite clinics for a day

So glad you love your job @Karabiner13 :love: Gives me hope lolol

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also very happy with my job! I get to deal with all the companion exotic species I wanted to in school and practice great medicine, so that keeps the itch satisfied. I did seriously consider applying for the Match this year, but became very discouraged when I calculated that I made more in my job in 4 months than most interns make in a year. I've known the pay was abysmal, but it puts into different perspective when you're out in the thick of it. And with the expenses I've taken on to help family and how much more debt I'd end up in if I pursued specialization... Blegh. If someone rich would kindly marry me or if I could win the lottery, that would be greeeeat. :D

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also very happy with my job! I get to deal with all the companion exotic species I wanted to in school and practice great medicine, so that keeps the itch satisfied. I did seriously consider applying for the Match this year, but became very discouraged when I calculated that I made more in my job in 4 months than most interns make in a year. I've known the pay was abysmal, but it puts into different perspective when you're out in the thick of it. And with the expenses I've taken on to help family and how much more debt I'd end up in if I pursued specialization... Blegh. If someone rich would kindly marry me or if I could win the lottery, that would be greeeeat. :D

Ughhhh haha yeah the abysmal pay really is something :) I'm fortunate to have a fiancé with a good job that can offset my sad income. ALSO my internmates and I are upset that next year they are raising the intern salary by $3,000/year! Not much, but still better! Rude :p

Anyway, happy to hear that everyone is loving their jobs! Overall I love mine too, but mainly when I'm not on ER and working 12-15 hour shifts... :)

Ughhhh haha yeah the abysmal pay really is something :) I'm fortunate to have a fiancé with a good job that can offset my sad income. ALSO my internmates and I are upset that next year they are raising the intern salary by $3,000/year! Not much, but still better! Rude :p

Anyway, happy to hear that everyone is loving their jobs! Overall I love mine too, but mainly when I'm not on ER and working 12-15 hour shifts... :)

The place where I did my specialty internship got bought out by VCA like the next year and now the specialty intern salary is like $20K higher than it was when I was there. I'm sure it helps a lot in freaking LA, too!

I intermittently think about going back for an exotics (no, Swype, not erotica...) internship and ooof man, the pay cut is real. I figure once my loans and car are paid off that miiiighht be an option that doesn't completely screw over my partner's generosity lol.

Holy cow guys, it's been an entire year since we've become vets! How is everyone holding up? How's everyone's first year been?

Holy cow guys, it's been an entire year since we've become vets! How is everyone holding up? How's everyone's first year been?

Finishing up my internship in a month, which is CRAZY! But it’s super cool how much I’ve learned and how much better of a doctor I’ve become in the past year. Ending one internship to start another in July :hungover: so having to figure out moving and all that again. But overall on the right track I think!

Was talking with my co-workers about this recently. They all feel like I've just been at the practice forever and I've been out in practice longer than a year. Guess they really like me and think I'm doing well :)

We still haven't moved into our new clinic yet. Tons of set backs. Currently being told July for our move in. It's an amazing building. Hoping once we move I'll have more surgery days

I'm still at the same clinic I started at and will be here for at least one more year. Many days I'm satisfied with what I do and medicine I get to practice, but there are also too many days when I just want to escape. Unfortunately, due to my hefty school debt and single income, I feel like I'm trapped... I think I'd be very happy just dealing with exotics (currently see about 35% caseload), but I fear going into deeper debt if I go the internship/residency route.

Blegh. I'm trying to be grateful--I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a little extra money to spend on frivolous stuff every now and then. But, man, as it is, I don't see doing this job long-term unless some things change...

Holy cow, has it really almost been two years since we've been out of school? How wild. So how is everyone doing?

After 1.5 years, my SO and I decided to take the plunge and switch jobs. We were really, really nervous, especially because we are both people-pleasers and both of our jobs didn't take it very well. and really laid on the guilt trips.. but we found an awesome hospital for both of us that 1) Has GP for him and ER for me! 2) Had better protocols and atmospheres for both of us 3) Just an altogether better fit.

Holy. crap. GUYS. If you have quality of life issues at your job, and you are miserable and wanting to quit, do not "settle" for that job because you don't think you will find a better one. There is likely a better one out there!!! My SO was seriously considering not being a vet anymore, and yesterday when he came home he was smiling. Smiling! Do not stick around in one place because you feel like you owe them something. You owe it to yourself to make sure your mental health and happiness are priority, even if that means switching jobs and saying goodbye to your current one.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Holy cow, has it really almost been two years since we've been out of school? How wild. So how is everyone doing?

After 1.5 years, my SO and I decided to take the plunge and switch jobs. We were really, really nervous, especially because we are both people-pleasers and both of our jobs didn't take it very well. and really laid on the guilt trips.. but we found an awesome hospital for both of us that 1) Has GP for him and ER for me! 2) Had better protocols and atmospheres for both of us 3) Just an altogether better fit.

Holy. crap. GUYS. If you have quality of life issues at your job, and you are miserable and wanting to quit, do not "settle" for that job because you don't think you will find a better one. There is likely a better one out there!!! My SO was seriously considering not being a vet anymore, and yesterday when he came home he was smiling. Smiling! Do not stick around in one place because you feel like you owe them something. You owe it to yourself to make sure your mental health and happiness are priority, even if that means switching jobs and saying goodbye to your current one.

That’s awesome Ashgirl! Happy you guys found a good fit :) I’m anxiously awaiting Match results this coming Monday for residencies.

I'm still at same GP I started at and loving it. I'm now split between two of our hospitals. The main one I work with other doctors, the satellite I'm the only doctor. My time is split evenly. Consistent surgery day now too and sometimes extra surgery days

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
How's everyone doing?!? Can't believe we're TWO YEARS out now.

I've basically stepped away from general practice aside from one day a week at a local corporate practice for some extra $$ and holy crap have things been wild with COVID. I keep waiting for things to slow down but it's just been crazier than ever.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
How's everyone doing?!? Can't believe we're TWO YEARS out now.

I've basically stepped away from general practice aside from one day a week at a local corporate practice for some extra $$ and holy crap have things been wild with COVID. I keep waiting for things to slow down but it's just been crazier than ever.

Just finished day 1 of my radiology residency, and it was amazing! So happy to be here and finally doing what I love every day with such an amazing group of people :)

What are you doing when you're not doing GP?

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just finished day 1 of my radiology residency, and it was amazing! So happy to be here and finally doing what I love every day with such an amazing group of people :)

What are you doing when you're not doing GP?

Congrats on the residency!!! Especially radiology, that's amazing, I'm so excited for you!!! :soexcited:

I've shifted over to shelter med the rest of the week, at a place that does a ton of teaching (would rather not say which bc they're weird about our online presence, but you might be able to guess off of some of my recent posts). Things have been odd the last few months because of COVID, so I'm still mostly working at home right now. I can't wait for things to get back to normal, but I'm altogether soooo much happier than I was in my first job out of school.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Same! I started off in GP, ended up being a toxic environment and moved to shelter life and I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE my team and all the other doctors, its like a big family!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'm still at the clinic I started at. Found a much better church so my free time is spent hanging with my church friends. They love my dogs so plenty of walks. Even have a really good client that lets my golden swim in a river behind her house or takes him once a week

IMG_20200718_082420263.jpg

1 year old Caspian

IMG_20200713_224425258.jpg

Caspian with his sister

• Love
Reactions: 8 users